Lag with Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 06:54 PM
jonw9
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lag with Intercooler

So, over the 4th break, I installed the Wagner Competition FMIC on my GP.

After driving for a couple weeks, it feels like there is more turbo lag. Is this in my head, a common effect (without a tune), or did I do something wrong?

Changes:
NM short shift
Royal Purple Synchromax tranny fluid
Wagner FMIC
M7 hot pipe

In all, I am not thrilled with any of the changes and I feel like it was better before.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:06 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
There is probably a little pressure drop but if you get it tuned the benefits of a bigger intercooler become evident since you are upping the boost.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:20 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I would make sure you have no leaks or issues as my GP was so much better with the Forge intercooler and our res delete pipe.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-14-2017, 11:48 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I think it is in your head. The intercooler itself won't do much for performance, and if you had a boost leak you would be getting a CEL.

I have the Wagner, I did before/after datalogs of a 3rd gear pull from 2000rpm to redline, exact same place, only difference was the day. No performance difference, the time from 2000 rpm to redline was identical, though IATs were considerably lower with the Wagner.

It makes sense if you think about how the ECU works, fuel calculations are based on the mass of air flowing into the engine. The improved intercooler will give you lower IATs for sustained high boost, which will allow you to maintain HP on the track. But on the street you are only in boost briefly, which means the stock IC has plenty of time to recover. As mentioned above, you need to get a tune to take full advantage of the lower IATs.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:47 AM
jonw9
2nd Gear
Thanks.
No CEL, blow off still seems normal. Just feels like it takes longer to get to 2k RMS and the turbo to kick in.

Any specific was to check for a leak?

The tune is coming, just piece-mealing the process.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:19 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Any modifications to air intake yet ? Drop in filter or aftermarket set up ?

Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Way, are you still running stock intake/filter with your GP2's mods or were there improvements made there to enhance the ones made downstream.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:01 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
Thanks.
No CEL, blow off still seems normal. Just feels like it takes longer to get to 2k RMS and the turbo to kick in.

Any specific was to check for a leak?

The tune is coming, just piece-mealing the process.
are you monitoring boost level with a scangauge or similar? the intercooler is to keep IAT under 100 degs since above that the engine will pull timing.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:23 PM
jonw9
2nd Gear
Stock intake, K&N drop in. No CAI, as I thought they had no effect on forced induction.

No scan gage. Just stock so no clue on the boost.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:59 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Way, are you still running stock intake/filter with your GP2's mods or were there improvements made there to enhance the ones made downstream.
I've got the old JCW stg 1 filter box and bottom half of N14 airbox to make it work.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-17-2017, 02:17 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You certainly can have a small boost leak without it triggering a code, it has happened to me. When the car was new from the factory it seemed slightly more sluggish than I expected. When I looked at the boost on scan guage it seemed not to correlate with what I expected from previous JCW's. When I took it on the track after a couple of sessions it eventually threw a code. Took it back to the dealership who found a very small air leak from one the hose clamps. When it was fixed it was like a new car This was very subtle, for example I was doing 1.52 lap time whereas in my old JCW I was doing 1.50. Just taking a little edge off things, not diabolical.

When I put an intercooler on I certainly did not feel like there was any lag etc.

So seeing what you are describing I suspect you possibly have a very small boost leak, or a small constriction somewhere.