Giving GP a thought

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Giving GP a thought

I have a truck worth good money. I'm considering trading it for a GP. The GP's are expensive. I could build a JCW with some nice options and have change. Or I could get a JCW convert with a few options. Should I end up with a base hard top or convert JCW that would not be a bad thing. I would be happy with any of them. SO...what makes the GP so special. What makes it substantially more desirable. Limited production and pride of ownership are good enough for me.
I'll kick it around and see if the #'s work out. If they do I might move on it. Just for the sake of conversation would you build a JCW or buy the GP if it is in your budget? It will be for joy riding. I'm not a serious racer. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by LaurelEdition; 04-02-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 PM
jedyejr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LaurelEdition
I have a truck worth good money. I'm considering trading it for a GP. The GP's are expensive. I could build a JCW with some nice options and have change. Or I could get a JCW convert with few options. I would be happy with any of them. SO...what makes the GP so special. What makes it substantially more desirable. Limited production and pride of ownership are good enough for me.
I'll kick it around and see if the #'s work out. If they do I might move on it. Just for the sake of conversation would you build a JWC or buy the GP if it is in your budget? It will be for joy riding. I'm not a serious racer. Thanks for your replies.
Very appropriate and insightful question, here are my comments/thoughts:

1. I've had 5 JCW's - loved everyone except that last one...long story. Have opted for the GP this time.
2. MINI is a culture - either you get it or you don't. I haven't seen anyone in between.
3. If you want to jazz up a JCW and experience fun and sporty luxury, go for it.
4. If you want to experience more of a racing car, less luxury, consider a GP.
5. What I found though, is that GP is a sub-culture to MINI and GP folks are pretty serious about the performance potentials beyond normal around the city spirited JCW driving.
6. Whatever you decide, true MINI enthusiasts respect and appreciate your choice, whatever it may be. Then you continue to create to make it an experience.
7. If you get into it, you will make lifelong friends.

Hope that helps and that you make the right decision - MINI!

James

Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too am considering a spec'd JCW hardtop or a GP. I'm leaning more toward the regular JCW because of the back seats. I have kids and a 2 seater seems impractical.

This is going to be a pleasure vehicle - weekend use mostly. But the back seats will come in handy just in case my kids want to come along for a cruise.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
My choice was to order a moderately optioned MCS (one mistake) and commence to modding. It's all good.

Motor on!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Thanks James. The biggest influence is the availability. And the trade-in of course. The dealer has a GP ready to go. You nailed it...luxury or race-ready.
The GP is unique and I'm a sucker for different. The Laurel Edition is my first experience with Mini. Gotta say I really like. For an out of the box Cooper S it is fun to own and drive. I would have bought JCW instead of the Laurel but the timing was off and the Laurel appealed to me. I have no regrets having bought the MCS but a WORKS would be a nice addition.
Here's what I'm trading. It is hard to part with. Saturday will tell the story. The GP lives or dies then. If the appraiser knows what he is looking at I'll trade keys....load the CD player and find my home via the longest route back.

Attached Thumbnails Giving GP a thought-ssr-6589.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by toyopet
I too am considering a spec'd JCW hardtop or a GP. I'm leaning more toward the regular JCW because of the back seats. I have kids and a 2 seater seems impractical.
Seats matter. Buy what fits your family needs.
Originally Posted by Melangell
My choice was to order a moderately optioned MCS (one mistake) and commence to modding. It's all good.
We know you are enjoying it.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
I don't think they will know what to do with your special truck. So amazing and I have never see something like it.

Good luck with your new GP... you can always get a JCW if you don't like the GP,

Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM
jedyejr
1st Gear
Thanks James. The biggest influence is the availability. And the trade-in of course. The dealer has a GP ready to go. You nailed it...luxury or race-ready.
The GP is unique and I'm a sucker for different. The Laurel Edition is my first experience with Mini. Gotta say I really like. For an out of the box Cooper S it is fun to own and drive. I would have bought JCW instead of the Laurel but the timing was off and the Laurel appealed to me. I have no regrets having bought the MCS but a WORKS would be a nice addition.
Here's what I'm trading. It is hard to part with. Saturday will tell the story. The GP lives or dies then. If the appraiser knows what he is looking at I'll trade keys....load the CD player and find my home via the longest route back.
Very sweet. Didn't realize you had Laurel Edition. You are already a MINI enthusiast. I, too like the limited editions, etc. Go with your gut. One life to live.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dozuki01
I don't think they will know what to do with your special truck. So amazing and I have never see something like it.

Good luck with your new GP... you can always get a JCW if you don't like the GP,
The SSR is a convertible hardtop. 6 speed with an LS2(Corvette)engine. Only 24,000 produced. Mine is #100 of 132 Silver over Black. Only 32 6 speeds were made. 9606 miles and in excellent condition. These are rare and really holding their value. The dealer can make good money on this or an employee will grab it. I do not drive it. I cannot leave it in a parking lot. It is sitting in my garage getting dusty. The more I write about it the more I feel like keeping it.

Attached Thumbnails Giving GP a thought-img_2076.jpg   Giving GP a thought-img_4147.jpg   Giving GP a thought-img_4148.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a nice truck.

I'm 100% sure you will get much more $$$ if you sell it to a private party though it will take more time.

I don't know what the dealer will offer you, but in my experience, trade ins were always given a low ball figure.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 PM
TimB
2nd Gear
I've always followed this simple rule of thumb on trade-ins: If the car is special to me, and therefore likely others, I can't expect to get the value for it in trade. Ever.

I have owned many limited run vehicles and I consider the GP to be one of my favorites after only having one for a few days. Good luck with your choice.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 AM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TimB
I've always followed this simple rule of thumb on trade-ins: If the car is special to me, and therefore likely others, I can't expect to get the value for it in trade. Ever.
I traded a modded 07 Rubicon for the Laurel Edition. The trade # was close enough. I dealt.
I tried to trade my 02 Supercharged Mustang for a Mini and trade was way off. I still have the Stang. The SSR is worth good money and Kelly Blue Books for an acceptable amount assuming the dealer wants it. Most of the time they want everyday daily driver cars. I could auction the SSR at Barrett-Jackson but I don't know the process and do not want to learn it with the SSR. This is going to be interesting. The SSR is worth close to what it sold for in 06. If I sold it for the trade in value to a private buyer it would be gone in a week. However I hate the process of dealing privately. I'll see how it goes. The GP's will sell quickly. The dealer knows it. They might wait for the cash buyer to come in.

Last edited by LaurelEdition; 04-03-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM
TimB
2nd Gear
Yeah, don't do B-J with your first auction. Their practice of no-reserve puts all the risk on you. You can find different venues other than B-J where you won't come home really upset. I have one collector car that I will eventually auction some day. But it won't be at B-J, that's for sure. I'm not down on B-J (I've been a bidder in the past and I live just a few miles away from WestWorld). But it can be a trap for sellers unless you are really tight with the auction house or scheduler.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 AM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Yeah, don't do B-J with your first auction. Their practice of no-reserve puts all the risk on you. You can find different venues other than B-J where you won't come home really upset. I have one collector car that I will eventually auction some day. But it won't be at B-J, that's for sure. I'm not down on B-J (I've been a bidder in the past and I live just a few miles away from WestWorld). But it can be a trap for sellers unless you are really tight with the auction house or scheduler.
Hi Tim. Your collector car? What is it. Show a pic if you would.
I honestly have cold feet about trading for the GP. I need another car like a snail needs air brakes. Hopefully my wife does not take my cars and leave. I will miss them

Last edited by LaurelEdition; 04-02-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM
TimB
2nd Gear
67 Shelby GT500E Super Snake. A real one fully rebuilt that runs like a bat out of hell. I use this pic because it reminds me never to take it to the track again. Actually, I just drove it TO the track that day!

Attached Thumbnails Giving GP a thought-img_0437.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Delete

Last edited by LaurelEdition; 04-03-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Beautiful Shelby ....ugly tow truck. I raced my Stang at Cecil County and Atco. Did soft launches for obvious reasons. AAA is a dirty word.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 AM
TimB
2nd Gear
Many thanks. I've had this car for seven years. It's a lot of work to drive it. Soft launches are actually hard to do in that car!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Awesome Eleanor, TimB! (cleaning drool out of the keyboard)...

Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
TimB
2nd Gear
Thanks. Here is a little back story on the car.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/AUTOS/...per-Snake.aspx

Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
How much lower is the GP compared to a stock CW's.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Thanks. Here is a little back story on the car.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/AUTOS/...per-Snake.aspx
That is a sick Stang.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM
TimB
2nd Gear
How much lower is the GP compared to a stock CW's.
I think it depends on how you adjust the coil-overs. It could vary.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Itsallmuscle
1st Gear
I have a truck worth good money. I'm considering trading it for a GP. The GP's are expensive. I could build a JCW with some nice options and have change. Or I could get a JCW convert with a few options. Should I end up with a base hard top or convert JCW that would not be a bad thing. I would be happy with any of them. SO...what makes the GP so special. What makes it substantially more desirable. Limited production and pride of ownership are good enough for me.
I'll kick it around and see if the #'s work out. If they do I might move on it. Just for the sake of conversation would you build a JCW or buy the GP if it is in your budget? It will be for joy riding. I'm not a serious racer. Thanks for your replies.
So I went through this question a bit in my mind also! It was between the GP and the JCW Convertible. It came down to what is the 'extra' that I'm getting with each option.

A firm suspension was a PLUS for me - so the GP was great, and the extra power was fantastic.

I don't need the Nav - steering wheel controls would have been fantastic on the GP, but ultimately, the Recaro seats are awesome - I don't regret not having leather. The GP does have auto climate control, bluetooth, and the radio sounds great. It has an auxilary port as well as a USB connection. After picking up the GP, I don't know how much I'm missing over a fully-stocked JCW. I'm single, so the backseats weren't so important to me. I LOVE the styling of the GP - those red mirror caps especially really grow on you, and having the limited edition is a very great plus.

I LOVE the extra power and the color scheme still makes me drool everytime I look at the car.

Aside from the rear seats, I don't know how much you'll miss from a JCW (although I saw an EXTREMELY attractive Red/black striped JCW convertible with EVERYTHING that made me swoon as well).

Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Itsallmuscle
So I went through this question a bit in my mind also! It was between the GP and the JCW Convertible. It came down to what is the 'extra' that I'm getting with each option.

A firm suspension was a PLUS for me - so the GP was great, and the extra power was fantastic.

I don't need the Nav - steering wheel controls would have been fantastic on the GP, but ultimately, the Recaro seats are awesome - I don't regret not having leather. The GP does have auto climate control, bluetooth, and the radio sounds great. It has an auxilary port as well as a USB connection. After picking up the GP, I don't know how much I'm missing over a fully-stocked JCW. I'm single, so the backseats weren't so important to me. I LOVE the styling of the GP - those red mirror caps especially really grow on you, and having the limited edition is a very great plus.

I LOVE the extra power and the color scheme still makes me drool everytime I look at the car.

Aside from the rear seats, I don't know how much you'll miss from a JCW (although I saw an EXTREMELY attractive Red/black striped JCW convertible with EVERYTHING that made me swoon as well).
I do like cruise control and some of the other options that are not on the GP.

Last edited by LaurelEdition; 04-05-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Giving GP a thought