GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Updated pics of the garage (II)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simplekid15
How much does it cover and how much money?
I have to measure, but it's enough to cover a typical 2 car garage. I'll post that later. I'll let it go for cheap....make me an offer.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to have to concur with Gus on the Audi vs BMW argument.

I've not had the pleasure of owning an Audi yet, although my next car will most likely be one. HOWEVER...My dad has had 4 Audis in the last year and a half or so. He was previously a BMW / Mercedes guy...but now, 100% Audi man.

Here's how his lineage of rides went...

2006 Mercedes S55 (Valet wrecked...doing 8k worth of damage, never drove the same again)
2007 Audi S6 - not big enough for his business
2007 Audi S8 - including the 6k Bang & Olufsson 13 speaker sound system (WOW!)

Keep in mind, both of these had the Gallardo V10. He loved these cars for their flexibility...you could just get in and cruise, or you could DRIVE them they way they were meant to be driven (which was not possible with the M5). They were also very understated, and less flashy than the comparable Bimmers and Mercs.

Now, he's got an 07 Q7...the Audi suv, while not super fast, the 4.2 V8 moves it along decently and the rear captains chairs are nice for his business partners and clients.

And for his toy...2008 Audi R8

Which I can say firsthand...this car is the most THRILLING car to ride in, let alone drive. It's one of 3 in the DFW area...well two now, one was wrecked in the first week! Obviously he didn't read the 500 page manual on how to drive the car!

Anyhow...My pop is now a converted man, no more bimmers or mercs...Audi's all the way. This R8 will be around until the R10 comes out next year, and possibly for the Cabrio which no doubt will follow sometime in the next couple years.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back on flooring. Snap-Lock which also manufactures Race-Deck does make a flooring tile exclusively for COSTCO stores. It sells under the brand name Motorfloor. It only comes in white & black, in 12" X 12" squares. It comes 42 squares per box. Each box is $79.95. It's easy to install and you can buy just the number of boxes you need. You can then buy the outer trim from Snap-Lock or a local dealer. I did one of the bays in my garage 20' X 19' of floor. Needed 9 boxes. Took me about 4 hours to put down between football agem and a few beers. Since it comes in 1 foot squares you can set them in a variety of patterns. I chose the simple checked floor.
Here are a few photos:

Old 12-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
i wish i would stop coming onto the gp forum and looking at picks, it getting painful. And considering i cant have one in canada, it only makes me angry, one day i will buy one and register it inthe states, but not this year. i love the shop by the way. I used to have a nice looking shop, but now i have rearends stacked on the walls, and engines in corners, and workbenches filled with parts, and you can hardly move in it anymore. A nice new shop is only major want list in the next 2 years. And im going to keep yours in mind. gorgeous man, gorgeous Beecher

Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
oh man, i only looked at the pics on the first page, there is more beautiful shops in this thread. sighhh

Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
i'm going to go change my underwear now. brb.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
This is the first garage I've seen that if I were to walk in it I would probably subconsciously take my shoes off!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sidewalker
I'm going to have to concur with Gus on the Audi vs BMW argument.

I've not had the pleasure of owning an Audi yet, although my next car will most likely be one. HOWEVER...My dad has had 4 Audis in the last year and a half or so. He was previously a BMW / Mercedes guy...but now, 100% Audi man.

Here's how his lineage of rides went...

2006 Mercedes S55 (Valet wrecked...doing 8k worth of damage, never drove the same again)
2007 Audi S6 - not big enough for his business
2007 Audi S8 - including the 6k Bang & Olufsson 13 speaker sound system (WOW!)

Keep in mind, both of these had the Gallardo V10. He loved these cars for their flexibility...you could just get in and cruise, or you could DRIVE them they way they were meant to be driven (which was not possible with the M5). They were also very understated, and less flashy than the comparable Bimmers and Mercs.

Now, he's got an 07 Q7...the Audi suv, while not super fast, the 4.2 V8 moves it along decently and the rear captains chairs are nice for his business partners and clients.

And for his toy...2008 Audi R8

Which I can say firsthand...this car is the most THRILLING car to ride in, let alone drive. It's one of 3 in the DFW area...well two now, one was wrecked in the first week! Obviously he didn't read the 500 page manual on how to drive the car!

Anyhow...My pop is now a converted man, no more bimmers or mercs...Audi's all the way. This R8 will be around until the R10 comes out next year, and possibly for the Cabrio which no doubt will follow sometime in the next couple years.
+1 for Audis. I LOVED my A4 cabrio. This the best looking car I've seen in a looong time. There are two in my town and I would kill for a ride in one.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 AM
u68423
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had it to do over again, I would want to come back as your GP.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Volker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini pooper
Back on flooring. Snap-Lock which also manufactures Race-Deck does make a flooring tile exclusively for COSTCO stores. It sells under the brand name Motorfloor. It only comes in white & black, in 12" X 12" squares. It comes 42 squares per box. Each box is $79.95. It's easy to install and you can buy just the number of boxes you need. You can then buy the outer trim from Snap-Lock or a local dealer. I did one of the bays in my garage 20' X 19' of floor. Needed 9 boxes. Took me about 4 hours to put down between football agem and a few beers. Since it comes in 1 foot squares you can set them in a variety of patterns. I chose the simple checked floor.
Here are a few photos:
Nice set up !!!
Got the Motofloor as well from Costco. My packages came as 4 tiles put together already, so I left them like that for now.
Was that the case for you as well ? If yes, how painful was it to take them apart and do you have any hints ?

Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 AM
Volker
4th Gear
Nevermind, used the brute force method and it worked well.
Just don't hesitate by ripping it apart, it is just like tearing a piece of paper.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:58 AM
Luys
4th Gear
It's really nice great job I hope I can do one like it. also if it has lift for the car it will be nicer.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:36 AM
izzygp
Neutral
gusmiami, stunning garage!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
I recently did the MotoFloor in my home garage. I LOVE them! Super cheap, same mfr as RaceDEck which we use at the shop. I will try to shoot some photos!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 PM
SYCO GT
2nd Gear
Here's some pictures of the garage before the recoat, and before selling RONIN M5 (395.5 rwhp):

Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
SYCO GT
2nd Gear
Clean floor, dirty Jeep.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
epoxy floor coating?

That looks real good and fairly easy to clean. (Nice M5 too)

Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
SYCO GT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JCW Driver
epoxy floor coating?

That looks real good and fairly easy to clean. (Nice M5 too)
I had the epoxy and poly coat done on my house when I moved in. There were a couple minor chips, with no flaking, and they attempted to color match them, but were not able to effectively come close in color. It seems the original color was no longer available.

So, they offered to re-epoxy and poly coat. They sanded down the original coating and this is the result.

I have had epoxy coated floors in my last two homes and never had any evidence of any peeling or chipping. In defense of the coating, between my wife and I, we operate two 4WD SUV's, which are used off road for recreational and business activities, and sometimes they come home with little pebbles in the all terrain treads, which last until I pick them out with a needle nose. The chipping occured only in the areas where the tires appear to rest, but there was no chipping under Ronin's tires. However, they did say that the original installation was not very good, and that the person who applied that light coating has since been fired. The new job looks much better.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
very clean!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
I am breaking grownd on a 3rd car garage later this month to house my GP.. he is some current stuff in my exsisting garage that will have to be moved over...

Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
SYCO GT
2nd Gear
Anyhow, I loved the look of the solid epoxy color floor, but it still was flaking.

So, they redid it and recommended a paint flake textured floor.

I also had a ton of posters from working in the motorcycle industry, so I decided to spend an evening putting them up. Not sure how it looks, kind of cheezy/tacky? I didn't feel like tearing them all right down, so I will probably leave them for a while. They are mostly blocked by an SUV, so it's not too embarrassing.

It felt like a waste to have them sit in a cabinet.

Interestingly, it really darkened the garage to have all the posters up.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:32 PM
aminicooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SYCO GT

Ford GT? Nice!

Old 07-13-2008, 04:08 PM
SYCO GT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aminicooper
Ford GT? Nice!
Thank you! It continues to be an immense source of enjoyment. Daily driver it is not well suited for, but does nice in other areas. Hoping to get a Mini Cooper S soon, R53, for a daily source of enjoyment and transportation.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:06 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by aminicooper
Ford GT? Nice!
And a no stripe black one! Yikes that is kool and rare! Congrats!

When you get the R53, you will love it too, just differently of course.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:36 AM
JCW4me
2nd Gear
Socrates - Question 4 U

Originally Posted by SOCRATES
You guys are lucky to just be able to park your GP in the garage. Unfortunately, mine is full right now...

Gus, once again, nice setup you have there. I hope to do something with mine this Summer (at least the flooring).

-Justyn
Is that a custom paint job on the Mini next to the GP? The paint schemes look the same. If not, what colors are they? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Updated pics of the garage (II)