GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Strut Brace for GyPsy

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:44 PM
UBeenMiniD
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick update to this.

I finally installed my M7 strut bar with plates.

I can confirm the spray bottle routine worked great for my GP. I can also confirm I didn't need to cut any insulation whatsoever. Zero. As for any bulging of the hood, I simply can't find any. I've looked and looked from all angles and nothing. Sure the insulation is ever so slightly shaped to the bar, but it's minimal at best. Which to me explains why there wouldn't any hood bulging going on.

I have to commend Arly on his recent post within the suspension forum for the flatening of his towers, because the nuts to his strut bolts are almost flush. I simply can't get mine as flush. So maybe I have a 1mm or 2mm work to be done. See his pics for details.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=87692

I stated previously I didn't care if performance improved. Well ... I definitely noticed an improvement in the ride. In two ways actually. First, the bar seems to remove some of the harshness from my GP suspension and runflats. That was actually a real surprise. Second, I can feel the chassis flexing less on the harsh SF streets. The car feels more rigid up front. More planted is how I would describe it.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:15 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
Ready to add chamber plates on GyPsy as I am really paranoid about mushrooming - it already begun at < 2,000 when the JCW brace was installed. W/ the autocross season starting (and we have twice a month events w/ 6 to 8 runs per day) ..I'm really freaking out w/o plates .

My mechanic (I don't work on my MINI- can't ruin the manicure , suggested M7 plates. Some of you had these installed a few months back..
any inputs ???

Also, I wil keep my original wheels (too light and too cool but planning to change tires .. I might go with 4 new wheels (GP) and tires . Again any suggestions? On my MCSC I have (for autox and summer) Dunlop Direzza - like those a lot, but would like something a bit smoother...

Thank God there is a tax season... (most of my income is going to be spent of the GP!!)

MD MINI GP
MD STREGA2

Old 04-17-2007, 05:08 PM
newbs49
Banned
M7 doesn't make camber plates. Ireland,H-sport,Helix. Take your pick.