GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Sportier exhaust for R53 GP (and yes, I have Googled..)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:24 PM
sam1905
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sportier exhaust for R53 GP (and yes, I have Googled..)

OK, please don't flame the new guy. I promise that I have Googled for hours and studied many posts (Especially the extremely thorough one on this forum).

Alas, I still have questions.

I have a stock R53 GP with 20k miles which I love. Like most of us noise is a big parts of the experience and I am looking for a system that has a more / slightly more intrusive exhaust noise at all speeds, retains the burble and does not drone on the highway (or is minimal)

I read many posts but found it hard to equate them to the JCW set up in a louder GP and did not want to spend $$ and rip out a perfectly good system for no or minimal gains. Again HP and Torque would be nice (and likley minimal) but I am primarily looking for in car experience gains...

So if anyone has a GP and has real life experience I would be extremely grateful. As of now it seems the Milltek, WMW Stratmosphere Catback and Megan Catback are lead contenders but as it is not always clear what car, and level of sound deadening was tested I am not entirely sure.

Help?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Wanting louder without drone is hard.

Our Non Resonated Stratmosphere will be louder than the JCW and not too aggressive, but going louder than that you will get drone.

The Megan won't fit your GP correctly and is too loud in my opinion on the highway.

Another idea would be to add one of our flashpoint headers to the stock GP exhaust. That will give you more sound and a little gain. Then if you still want it louder you can also change the exhaust later.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-25-2015, 12:05 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I came from a 2003 R53 with Borla Sport cat-back which I really liked but it did drone at certain engine loads so when I got the 2006 R53 GP I wanted a louder exhaust than the stock JCW exhaust. I tried three setups before settling on the Milltek (same as Stratmosphere).
1. Removed resonator from JCW. A little too much snap, crackle, pop.
2. Borla Sport. A little too loud and too much drone in the no rear seat or insulation GP.
3. Milltek with resonator. Just about right. Louder than JCW with nice sound. No drone. I wish it was slightly louder but I suspect that will begin on drone.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:42 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
either the milltek, or a full header back with header of choice and the JCW rear resonated

or deal with some drone, always gives you a chance to have a great sound system =)

Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 AM
sam1905
1st Gear
Thanks all.
As I am lucky enough to not have to commute in this car I am going to go with the Borla sport - that way if it is too obnoxious I can always work on adding a front resonator.
I liked the look and reputation of both the Milltek, and Stratmosphere but found lots of posts stating it was fairly close to stock and would really like a little rasp, especially low down.
I will keep all updated and thanks once again for the help.
Sam

Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 AM
sam1905
1st Gear
Will still be quieter...

...than the straight pipes on my last build

Attached Thumbnails Sportier exhaust for R53 GP (and yes, I have Googled..)-1003575_10202140196679718_1263475954_n.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 07:09 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Just to let you know, the Borla Sport already has a front resonator so you would not be able to just add a resonator if too loud. However, you might be able to change the resonator.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:47 AM
sam1905
1st Gear
Borla

Thanks. I had (Mistakenly) assumed that the difference between the Borla touring and sport was with/without front resonator. Do they use different ones or are the rear mufflers different?

Old 03-27-2015, 10:52 AM
sam1905
1st Gear
Never mind.

I see the difference now...
I will install it and run it through the finely calibrated 'wife test'...

Attached Thumbnails Sportier exhaust for R53 GP (and yes, I have Googled..)-a.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
I know that the borla sport is loud, near the same levels as my magnaflow. the GF approves and doesn't whine with it

Old 03-27-2015, 02:31 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
I loved the Borla Sport in my 2003 R53 with rear seats and rear insulation. However, it was a little too much for me in the 2006 GP without the seats and insulation absorbing some of the noise (drone).
If the Borla Sport is a little too loud when you give it a try in your GP, maybe adding Fat-Mat insulation in the rear will be enough to make the exhaust enjoyable.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by sam1905
I liked the look and reputation of both the Milltek, and Stratmosphere but found lots of posts stating it was fairly close to stock and would really like a little rasp, especially low down.
I wouldn't say it's close to stock, especially if you don't do the resonator. At idle the res version isn't much louder, but when you put your foot in it you have a nice deep tone. Find someone that has one and go for a ride, then imagine without the res. that it would be louder and deeper.

I don't recommend the borlas much as every one that comes in is cracked at the welds, and the clamp joints leak. For $1000 this shouldn't happen within 2yrs. We do sell them if someone wants though.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Way,
Good point about cracks with the Borla. I had to get mine replaced under warranty and shipping was not covered.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:32 AM
sam1905
1st Gear
Lesson learned

So after 100 miles with the Borla it is coming off. Should have gone with my gut and not been talked out of the Stratmosphere by a helpful store..... Sound truly is subjective....

The Borla is a great exhaust, nice build and weld quality and sounds great. As suggested though just a little too 'droney' for a GP.

I will be putting the JCW back on and thinking hard about what to do next. Unfortunately having just moved from Denver to Little Rock I do not believe I have an active Mini community to work with to sit and sound test with...

The good news is that for anyone looking for a little louder sound, or with rear sound deadening, I have a very lightly used Borla for sale.... Even comes with an unworn Borla cap!

Say $750 including shipping in the lower 48?

Thanks all,
Sam

Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll toss out a recommendation for Invidia just to make things more confusing for you. You could sell your Borla, buy an Invidia, and still have some money to spare. Quality is excellent and the shop I had it installed at commented on how well it fit. Don't know exactly how it compares to the other systems but it falls between your Borla and the JCW in terms of loudness.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:44 PM
sam1905
1st Gear
Resonator

As I have the stock JCW system off I am considering trying the resonator delete before spending a lot more cash..

(The bad news is that as I am recovering from a lumbar fusion I have promised my wife I will not work on the car myself (Actually second fusion, one last year failed - likely because of building a car in the first few months...) With the Borla hit and install this is turning into a spendy venture... )

The general consensus seems to be a little louder, some more snap crackle and pop but no drone. I don't mind the S,C & P as long as it doesn't break windows or set off car alarms. This seems to be in line with what I am looking for - more audible response to the throttle, especially at lower rpms - it is the drone that I dread. (I love the sound of the JCW system with the windows up and under load on backroads, I just wish it gave more feedback when not pushed hard and didn't sound so lifeless)

I do hate to cut the stock system but the type A in me may be consoled if it is done tidily and the resonator is not damaged and can be re-installed.

If anyone has any GP specific experience please let me know.

Thanks
Sam

Old 03-29-2015, 03:06 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Just a warning. The JCW resonator delete was too ricey for me on the GP. To me it was not a deeper sound but instead more crackly/snappy. My teenage son made fun of the car. I know many people like the resonate delete but exhausts sound very different in a GP compared to a normal S with rear seats and insulation.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:20 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by sam1905
OK, please don't flame the new guy. I promise that I have Googled for hours and studied many posts (Especially the extremely thorough one on this forum).

Alas, I still have questions.

I have a stock R53 GP with 20k miles which I love. Like most of us noise is a big parts of the experience and I am looking for a system that has a more / slightly more intrusive exhaust noise at all speeds, retains the burble and does not drone on the highway (or is minimal)

I read many posts but found it hard to equate them to the JCW set up in a louder GP and did not want to spend $$ and rip out a perfectly good system for no or minimal gains. Again HP and Torque would be nice (and likley minimal) but I am primarily looking for in car experience gains...

So if anyone has a GP and has real life experience I would be extremely grateful. As of now it seems the Milltek, WMW Stratmosphere Catback and Megan Catback are lead contenders but as it is not always clear what car, and level of sound deadening was tested I am not entirely sure.

Help?
Alta....

Old 03-29-2015, 04:29 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I like my scorpion a lot, my first choice was the Alta but the cost and warranty turned me towards the scorpion.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...st-thread.html

Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 AM
sam1905
1st Gear

Always more questions...

I am taking in the comments about the JCW Res delete being too 'ricey'. As the Stratmoshpere rear mufflers look like a similar volume to the JCW is the version without a resonator also a concern for the same reason?

Any experience in a GP to know if this version drones?

Apologies for all the questions but if another exhaust turns up and goes on and off I will be in trouble!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM
sam1905
1st Gear
Ordered a Stratmosphere non-resonated set up. Will report back with a back to back vs. the Borla and stock systems when fitted.
Thanks
Sam

Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 AM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you feel ambitious you might try something I did with my R53. Cut out the battery box and raise it about 3 inches (it's been a while so I can't give you exact specs but you do need to measure) . This will allow you to retain a flat floor for cargo & give a stealth mod. Cut your exhaust near the wheel arch and lose both mufflers because you'll run a straight pipe to an Edelbrock SDT (or Magnaflow) muffler capped by a Corvette twin out S/S pipe. You can do all of these mods WITHOUT any welding with judicious use of clamps. Total cost including all parts was about $125 (Stingray upped the cost).
Car had a nice quiet idle which became a deep,throaty bellow when you stood on the gas and NO drone when freeway cruising. Passed state inspection and was on the MINI for 6 years when I sold it. Mod gave seat of pants power increase (straight pipe) you could feel and hear.

ISAMIN

Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 AM
sam1905
1st Gear
Monday morning update

Removed the Borla and replaced with a Stratmosphere, non resonated system from WMW.

Initial impressions:
Sounds great - nice tone and quietly extenuates the burble. Definitely gives you more 'feedback' noise at all rev levels and throttle positions and the burble is really (really) nice.
Overall an octave or so higher pitch than the Borla which is also what I wanted - sounds like a MINI should, not a V8.

Very little drone, It didn't bother me at all although I was a little self conscious of it when my wife was in the car. She said it didn't bother her though so apparently not an issue.

All in all from a noise standpoint it exactly what I was looking for.

Bend and build quality is OK. Some of the welds are not great - especially those on the inner hanger assemblies. I also feel the design of this hanger assembly could be better as a slotted, rather than hard welded design of these two plates (you'll understand if you see) would have given much needed adjustment.

Initial set up had enormous tension in the system, the tips 3/4" of an inch to far forward to me (i.e not visible from above) and heavy contact with the top of the valence. The system was also off center by 1/2". The tip forward issue did not appear to be because of too deep slip fit insertion as this was minimal)

Although some of this I am sure is car to car tolerance stack up this particular system definitely did not bolt on and line up like the Borla.

We did manage to bend the hangers a little to stop the valence melting but still not aligned right.

This weekend I aim to 'tweak' the exhaust hanger rods and shim under the center car hanger to get the much needed 1/2" down and 1/4" to the right...

(As I always like to know who is giving input a little history - I designed turbochargers for KKK/BWTS for 12 years and now run a business producing VERY large welded assemblies. I have also built many cars and purchased many catback / full systems - as such I like to believe I understand normal process variation and what is acceptable from aftermarket systems...)

Overall, subjective Sam ratings

Sound 9.5/10
Build quality 8/10
Fit and Finish 5/10
Value for money 8/10

Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
that's odd, usually people with that exhaust have no issues, I have seen that that exhaust is a bit more hidden (tips being a little more recessed)

only issue I had with my magnaflow was the mid pipe, it was long enough but just barley and the clamps wouldn't seal all the way, so I had to get some exhaust paper for a tighter fit

Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 AM
NYMADMINI
2nd Gear
I've got a Milltek non-res on my '06 S coupe with stock headers, DDM CAI, 17% pulley kit, etc. and LOVE it! I have had Milltek systems on many of my previous cars (3 Audis, 2 VW's, 1 Porsche) and never ever had a problem with them. Lifetime warranty on factory defects (cracking, etc - though I personally never had to return one). The sound is awesome. My car is a daily driver and it's just got the right tone with no drone. I personally think the resonated one is a bit too quiet whereas the non-res is nice, deep, still sounds like a Mini (just angrier!) and fits like a glove! Good luck

Quick Reply: Sportier exhaust for R53 GP (and yes, I have Googled..)