GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Looking to buy a GP

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM
wolke9
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a GP

Hello,

Was hoping you all could tell me anything special to look out for when viewing a potential vehicle to buy? I imagine its similar to most JCW's--but are there certain "original" items that should come with the car?

Is there a way to look at history for vehicle #'s 456, 89, and 491? Those are 3 currently for sale I am considering?

I'm looking for a bit of exclusivity as this will be a weekend/fun/autox car only and not a DD--so i guess lower mileage the better. I'm hesitant about mod'ng these since they are so special right from the factory--but I guess it can be done. I would be looking to change maybe the exhaust, and wheels--(save the originals). Any regrets buying this car for any of you--considering maintenance, reliability, etc?

I owned a track-ready BMW 2002 (got rid of it--stupid of me) so feeling every bump on the road is not a problem!!

Thanks, in advance for your input--

Old 11-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gp

check out this site
http://www.gpmini.net/forum

lots of info on this site

Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also on GPMINI.net is scans of the original dealership brochure, and the window sticker from my GP. You can find links to both, as well as loads of other information, at the intro page:
http://gpmini.net/wp/introduction/

Some GPs have been modded for track - different brakes, suspension, maybe a roll cage. Depending if you do or don't want that sort of car, be sure to check the details.

One other thing to watch - some GPs no longer have their original wheels, or seats (both unique to the GP)

Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
good luck searching

Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Good luck searching! I've wanted a GP forever, and finally picked one up myself. I don't have a single regret...its an awesome car. This is my 3rd MINI (had an 05 S & 08 S) and it is by far the best. I normally want to start modding my cars as soon as I get them, but I've been having so much fun in the GP it hasn't even crossed my mind yet. Such a well done car right out of the box.

As far as what to look for...I wanted a relatively low mile, seemingly well maintained vehicle. Mine had 35k on it. Preferrably you want to find one that hasn't been messed with or modded. Thing to look for that it has: the roof # decal, the GP decal on dash, the 4 yellow blocks for the jack points, the underbody paneling, the GP owners manual (not that special but it does have a silver case!), any of the JCW certificates of authenticity, the wheels and seats of course...I think that's all I can think of at the moment.

You can Google each of the cars you are looking at, "GP0456" for example, and see if you find anything on it. Also do a search on each MINI forum for the number...you might find stuff on it, you might not. And if you can get the VIN for each one...go to your local BMW or MINI dealer, tell them you are considering purchasing one of them and that you want them to run a service history on each. I found out mine was a CPO till 100k or through end of 2012 in my case, by doing this.

Let us know if you get one!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Good reminder on the jack blocks!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 AM
teebo7
3rd Gear
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM
wolke9
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by teebo7
saw this one--but for 13k miles, i expected it to be better taken care of. The interior looks like its never been vacuumed--and looks like there are stains on the seats. Maybe its dirt on the camera--not sure. Anyways, just didn't feel comfortable bidding on this one.

Thanks for all of the info so far to everyone!! I'll have to remember about the owners manual case, and dash lettering. A very original car is what i'm looking for...if its that fun I may not change a thing! except for the mushrooming strut towers which i've heard about--anything preventative I will probably do.

this is my old ride BTW:

I was a fool to get rid of it--but I pumped 3k into it in the 1.5 years I had it. It couldn't decide whether to be a track car or a show car. I won't have this problem w/ the GP!!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wolke9
saw this one--but for 13k miles, i expected it to be better taken care of. The interior looks like its never been vacuumed--and looks like there are stains on the seats. Maybe its dirt on the camera--not sure. Anyways, just didn't feel comfortable bidding on this one.

Thanks for all of the info so far to everyone!! I'll have to remember about the owners manual case, and dash lettering. A very original car is what i'm looking for...if its that fun I may not change a thing! except for the mushrooming strut towers which i've heard about--anything preventative I will probably do.

this is my old ride BTW:

I was a fool to get rid of it--but I pumped 3k into it in the 1.5 years I had it. It couldn't decide whether to be a track car or a show car. I won't have this problem w/ the GP!!
Yea I was gonna say...for 13k miles, that GP looks beat. The seats look like the car has 100k lol, thats not just the camera. In comparison, the interior on my 35k mi GP looks brand new, still smells new even. It's all perfectly vacuumed and no smudges anywhere, no creases in the seats...I'm very pleased.

You will love the GP when you find the right one. I don't know if it's cuz I'm coming from a 60k mi R56 that was in dire need of suspension work, but the handling on the GP is simply awesome in comparison. It's silly how great it handles from the factory, its so neutral, you forget you're driving a FWD car. I tell people it is like the GT3RS of MINI's

Awesome 2002 btw...those cars a blast.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
wolke9
2nd Gear
yeah--I didn't think it was dirt either--just trying to be nice. The owner could think its clean as a pin. The one @ St Louis MINI has 25kmiles on it and they are firm on the $26k price. Trying to find out how original it is, what it has in terms of equipment, etc. I guess its worth it to wait and try and find the right one at the right price!!

One thing I would hope to find are fellow MINI JCW members that could answer ?'s for me in my area if I bring them the car- - -or even someone to look at a potential GP for me if Im interested. BMWCCA has a book they send out every year w/ folks in different states who are willing to help out w/ car issues, lodging, maintenance, etc--thought it was a great resource for when you need help.

Does MINI have anything like this?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:06 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
There's a lot of people know my GP

Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 AM
JT///MC
3rd Gear

this is my old ride BTW:

That car looks well sorted cosmetically. I can't believe you sold that....wow. Don't feel bad, I pumped 8k into my 99 MCoupe in 4 months this year but I ended up selling it for about 8k more than its book value so I guess I broke even and got to enjoy restoring it too.

The GP is still a lot more fun to drive than the MCoupe and that was by far one of the most fun BMWs I had owned. Not the fastest, but pretty fun still. Now the GP isn't nearly as fast as my M5, but its still much more fun to toss around everyday. The pull and whine of the SC is really awesome and the 6spd is pretty slick too. Overall the GP is a very well sorted car stock from the factory. I have no plans to mod the suspension but I did add the M7 strut bar to prevent the shock towers from mushrooming and also added a Mini Madness lower body cross bar to increase front end rigidity. Not sure if they do anything but the sure look cool

Once you get a GP, you'll wonder why you hadn't gotten one sooner. By far the most fun car I've ever owned.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JT///MC
Once you get a GP, you'll wonder why you hadn't gotten one sooner. By far the most fun car I've ever owned.
+10000

Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 AM
wolke9
2nd Gear
How will I know when the right "one" comes along. I'm thinking either to buy something now--before winter sets in across most of the country (so I can drive it home) or wait until spring. Its hard to figure pricing for these too, since they are so unique.

Salesmen got back to me on the GP in MINI of St Louis, has the jacking blocks, owners manual (no silver case), clear bra, has a repaired rock chip, window tint, maintenance records, no Monroney label, Has 26k miles and wants $26k for it?

I'd get a round trip SW airlines ticket (in case its not all that when i get out there) and drive it home--only 800miles away--good roadtrip!

The way the economy is, just not sure whether to spend $$$ on an extra 3rd car--or save it. Life is short, though--gotta play while you still can, right!

That car looks well sorted cosmetically. I can't believe you sold that....wow. Don't feel bad, I pumped 8k into my 99 MCoupe in 4 months this year but I ended up selling it for about 8k more than its book value so I guess I broke even and got to enjoy restoring it too.

The GP is still a lot more fun to drive than the MCoupe and that was by far one of the most fun BMWs I had owned. Not the fastest, but pretty fun still.
--I also looked at the Mcoupes--can't do wrong w/ the clown shoe--when I testdrove one--I just didn't care for the seating position. Felt like I was sitting on top of the car and not in it--must have been the low doors. What a great car though!! 8k in 4mo?? u had me beat by a mile. My pockets aren't that deep

Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 AM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Life is short so if you can, go for it! to give an idea, I paid 21,750 plus tax/license or roughly 24k out the door for mine in August and it only had 16k on it. Just let it sit a while longer. Mine was originally asking 26k also back in May. Others have paid more, some less. But 18k-22k is about going rate for a good GP.

The one on eBay is dirty but who cares. It just needs some tlc. Ppl are so fickle it cracks me up. Whoever got that one was smart. A professional detail is only $500. Free if you do it yourself. So whoever got that one got one hell of a deal.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM
scoopieb
2nd Gear

this is my old ride BTW:

That's awesome! Looks beautiful. My 1st car was a 72' 2002 that I completely modded it back in the late 80's. I did the same thing and removed the trim around the beltline and on doors. Looks way cleaner! It was a POS when I got it and always had something wrong until I fixed it. But I LOVED it. That's how I learned to work on cars. Broken engine mount, tranny, even the differential. That is one cool thing about them, they have posi-traction. Now that I'm older and have a larger budget than when I was in high school I've wanted to get one to track. Seeing your pic get's me thinking!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 AM
wolke9
2nd Gear
Life is short so if you can, go for it! to give an idea, I paid 21,750 plus tax/license or roughly 24k out the door for mine in August and it only had 16k on it. Just let it sit a while longer. Mine was originally asking 26k also back in May. Others have paid more, some less. But 18k-22k is about going rate for a good GP.

The one on eBay is dirty but who cares. It just needs some tlc. Ppl are so fickle it cracks me up. Whoever got that one was smart. A professional detail is only $500. Free if you do it yourself. So whoever got that one got one hell of a deal.
I whole-heartedly agree--just tough to judge sometimes how a car was treated if its not even clean for the pics going online--after on 13k miles. But u r right--someone got a good deal--

Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 AM
cinq
2nd Gear
I whole-heartedly agree--just tough to judge sometimes how a car was treated if its not even clean for the pics going online--after on 13k miles. But u r right--someone got a good deal--

I guess I can say I'm the lucky one.

Last edited by cinq; 12-09-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:51 AM
wolke9
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cinq
I guess I can say I'm the lucky one...I noticed some of imperfection like you've mentioned, but I figure I'll give my own TLC, and it will be new again.

In case if you're wondering, I won the car for $21,400. I think it's a great deal. I saw a worse condition than this awhile back..with the headliner rip up...smell like a dog inside..and Prestige Mini wanted $27000 for it! I'm picking up the car this weekend, and will take some pictures for you guys later. Overall, I think I got a great deal for a 13k miles car!
Congrats!! I'd say welcome to the club--but I don't have mine . . yet. Does your GP come w/ the jacking blocks, extra keys, window sticker, etc? Best of luck w/ your new GP!! I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:59 AM
anasumme
2nd Gear
GP in MN and TX

Two more GP's hit the market today one in MN and another in Texas. Both are listed in autotrader. The one in Minnesota's price is (17K) but the roof looks like it has been changed (Union Jack). I've been tracking GP prices for a while (saving for a GP myself), PM me if you're interested in some of the statistics I've gathered regarding prices over the years. Good luck finding a GP. With any luck I'll be in the seat of one in 2012.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:00 PM
gp89
2nd Gear
Hello,

Was hoping you all could tell me anything special to look out for when viewing a potential vehicle to buy? I imagine its similar to most JCW's--but are there certain "original" items that should come with the car?

Is there a way to look at history for vehicle #'s 456, 89, and 491? Those are 3 currently for sale I am considering?

I'm looking for a bit of exclusivity as this will be a weekend/fun/autox car only and not a DD--so i guess lower mileage the better. I'm hesitant about mod'ng these since they are so special right from the factory--but I guess it can be done. I would be looking to change maybe the exhaust, and wheels--(save the originals). Any regrets buying this car for any of you--considering maintenance, reliability, etc?

I owned a track-ready BMW 2002 (got rid of it--stupid of me) so feeling every bump on the road is not a problem!!

Thanks, in advance for your input--
EDIT: Should have read the whole thread....

You'll have to take #89 off of the table... I bought it yesterday...

Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
I know most of us are late to the GP party, but I only found out that this car existed back in August but it didn't take me long to find one not too far and with the low miles and great price. Personally 25k+ is a bit much for me for a used Mini, but low 20s felt right. I can understand that some owners are selling after 5 yrs of ownership, it was probably time for something new. I kinda feel that many did not get to have as much fun with these cars as they should. I drive mine daily b/c its just too much of a blast not to. Plus it allows me to save a ton of gas commuting and preserve my M5 for family outings and special days (where only 500hp can satisfy the itch!).

I've for the most part kept the car stock but can't help but personalize it to my taste. But in general, the car just is so fun right out of the box that it requires very little. A RMW tune fixed a low end lean A/F issue and bumped the torque and HP up to a very broad an even keel. Overall just a pleasure to hammer down and have a blast every day.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gp89
EDIT: Should have read the whole thread....

You'll have to take #89 off of the table... I bought it yesterday...
Congrats on the new ride! Obligatory pics please!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
gp89
2nd Gear
Congrats on the new ride! Obligatory pics please!
Pics are in the works! Took her to the Dragon for a break in this morning... haha

Old 11-13-2011, 02:28 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I kinda feel that many did not get to have as much fun with these cars as they should
Interesting comment.

Some owners, like me, regularly enjoyed their GP - I've driven coast to coast twice during MINI Takes The States with her, and uncounted numbers of other MINI drives (Blue Ridge Parkway, right down to local runs like this morning).

Then some owners basically bought and garaged the car. I know some folks expected to sell a hardly driven GP at a profit - the car is very special but it's not likely to command a premium.
On top of that some owners, especially California, paid over sticker to get the car back in 2006 - I heard one sell for $38K! So those folks are basing their sale price now on what they paid, rather than on what the car was and now is worth.

I definitely think the "driven" GPs gave more to their owners than the "garaged" ones

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a GP