General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone gotten goodies from their MA when they picked up their new MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone gotten goodies from their MA when they picked up their new MINI?

MY MA said he would not even throw in floor mats!!!
I'm thinking of taking my business elsewhere -- after waiting since 12/30/06 for this car. I'm paying full MSRP which is fine but it's not like there isn't money being made here.
It's not the mats it's the principle!
It makes me wonder what kind of customer service I'll get in the future. I've been willing to give my MA the benifit of the doubt untill now but I don't think he cares whether I walk away or not.
He also gave me a price for 17" Bridge Spokes to replace my 16" Bridge Spokes price with install = over $1800. WHAT! for Brige Spokes -- I asked if he was sure they were weren't some other (correction) wheels/tires. If I didn't like the 16' Bridge spokes why would I like the 17"ers for nearly 2 grad? Argh!
I was willing to finance with MINI for a slightly higher rate which will cost me more than the price of the floor mats over the span of the loan. I was also rushing to pick it up by tomorrow because my MA said the dealer would like it pick-up before the end of February to make their numbers. It hasn't been there a week yet.
Now I have waited like most people here which is fine since I knew about the wait and didn't bug anyone when it didn't come by the launch or just after but instead 6 days after the launch.
Now I have lost confidence in this MA and in whether the dealership cares about my business and whether I'm satisfied. This is more about my future dealings than in the freeking mats.
Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it out!
I will not mention the dealership but I might want to know if anyone has a dealership they would recommend in the area -- I'm in Upstate NY about 2.5 hours outside of NY.

Last edited by designerMINI; 02-27-2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fixed incomplete sentence
Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 PM
msh441
6th Gear
If it makes you feel better, I'm getting free floor mats and some other swag... but I'm also paying a $500 mark-up. So nothing is really free.

I guess I could go somewhere else, but it would taking buying out of Canada or driving a state away to make my purchase. I'd rather just suck it up and establish a positive initial relationship with the dealer. Being a first gen car, I feel the need to remain of good terms. Just in case, ya' know ?

What rate are you getting if you don't mind me asking?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I know. the relationship thing is what is bothering me.
If I feel like I'm gonna get bent over before I even get the car what happens if I have a problem?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:58 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by designerMINI
MY MA said he would not even throw in floor mats!!!

It makes me wonder what kind of customer service I'll get in the future. I've been willing to give my MA the benifit of the doubt untill now but I don't think he cares whether I walk away or not.

Of Course he doesn't care, and why should he there are 5 people behind you that will take the car tomorrow and put up with all his BS. Thats the problem with having a car that everyone wants and retains its resale value so well.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
We paid MSRP for both of our MINIs and got the rubber mats for each from our MA. Tell your MA that you can arrange to pick it up by the end of the month if he throws in the mats, otherwise you'll see him Saturday.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:30 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
At the risk of making you feel worse, my dealer is throwing in mats and the white tail lenses, which I had chosen before they became a $100 option. Their fees are reasonable and there is no mark-up beyond MSRP.

Now, to make you feel better, I will share with you my worst car buying experience ever ...the purchase of my current car, a 1999 V6 Honda Accord (a great car).

I went in, drove the car, hammered out a deal with the salesman and came back two days later with a bank check. The salesman then introduced me to his manager ...who informed me they could not honor the deal the salesman had made ...it was too cheap.

I explained to him as nicely as I could that this was tough s**t and not my problem. But, he persisted.

While we were arguing one of the shop guys had taken the plates off my trade-in and put them on the new car. I very politely told them to put the plates back on the old car because I was done.

But he kept pushing ...he actually thought he was going to get me to spend more money. When he finally realized that was not going to happen he tried to sell me extras. I had specifically told the salesman the day we negotiated the deal that if they tried to sell me anything extra when I came to pick up the car that I would get up and leave. The poor guy was cringing as his manager tried in vain to get me to spend more money.

Once the dolt finally got the message that I was not going to budge he had the nerve to suggest that he take an option off the car if I was unwilling to pay his price, which was $500 more than the check I was told to bring.

I repeated ..."put the plates back on my old car, we are done here".

But he persisted, for longer than you can imagine and it did not end until I lost my cool and made damn sure that everyone in the showroom knew that I was pissed off. Then he took my check, I signed some papers and drove home.

I haven't been back since ...except to waste their time test driving cars I had no interest in buying.

So, did that help any?

dean.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
^^ good idea (re: rhawth99)

i wouldn't think it is worth not taking the car, though. i've never understood the "floor mat" thing with car dealers. they should come with floor mats, at least basic ones, and then if you want to upgrade you pay the price.

my dealer threw in the two "back" floor matts, that are the size of a paper towel and i felt lucky.

i did get a nice key chain and some detail products, although i haven't really used them much.

i did buy the rubber boot matt online and it was slightly cheaper than at the dealer, but of course had to wait for it. you should drive out with matts.

good luck whatever you decide!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
mininovice
3rd Gear
Free floor mats, my choice rubber or carpet, free hat $16, free keychain $12, good thing I wouldn't ever buy motoring gear at the dealer they are huge rip offs

Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
It's not the mats as much as what the attitude means to me. I've had the impression he couldn't care less.
He says no mats for free (or anything else) and I hear -- once you buy this car I'm not going to try to help you if you have difficulty with this 1st year car.
Why do I hear that? Let's face it we are taking some chances here above those who will buy in a year and I think confidence in your dealer should be promoted not discouraged.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Golsco
2nd Gear
I'd bail. Trust your instincts. Or, if you must, wait until the 1st.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by designerMINI
It's not the mats as much as what the attitude means to me. I've had the impression he couldn't care less.
He says no mats for free (or anything else) and I hear -- once you buy this car I'm not going to try to help you if you have difficulty with this 1st year car.
Why do I hear that? Let's face it we are taking some chances here above those who will buy in a year and I think confidence in your dealer should be promoted not discouraged.
What a crappy situation to be in ...and to be put there when spending so much money on what should be a really fun purchase ...well, that just stinks.

I'm not sure what I would do if I were in your place, but re-ordering from another dealer would certainly be something I'd consider.

I feel your pain.

dean.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
ladykatedb
Neutral
Friends of mine had a similar horrible buying experience with a Honda dealership where they had talked to the salesperson beforehand and agreed on an "online price" which was less than MSRP. My friend went in to complete the deal and, like you, had a manager that hindered the deal by insisting on a higher price. My friend, like you, got very upset (reasonably so) and eventually, when he realized he was talking to a brick wall, walked out of the dealership and got into the car. Just as he was pulling away, the manager ran out and actually banged his hands on my friend's car!!! Don't people realize these are not ways to sell cars and the unhappy customers will only spread the word to others?

I'm glad that I've received nothing but straight talk and down-to-earth advice from the Mini salesperson. Yet another reason I can't wait to buy a Mini, my advisor deserves the commission (and cookies.)

Old 02-27-2007, 04:51 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I got a hat, a keychain (with the dealer's name on it), and a $150 merchandise credit. I ONLY got that because I asked for it and got agreement on it BEFORE I ORDERED - I'm confident I would have gotten no merch credit if I had waited until delivery to ask. I strongly recommend any new buyers do the same - ask if they can throw in floor mats, etc. before you hand them your deposit check... if you're buying off the lot, ask this before you even pick a car - because once they think you've picked the car, you are THEIRS - at least in their opinion.

The other tactic that yielded good results for me was to talk to the GM and very politely tell them what you want (within reason) and that you'd really appreciate it if they could help you out, and that if they do you could see your way clear to give them 5's on their satisfaction survey. Play the survey card - with the GM - and you will often get better than average treatment - I've been told that the survey results have an impact on their allocations - more cars to sell when they want them. This tactic got me several hundred dollars more than their "best" offer for my trade...

Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Thanks everyone.
I'm not married to this dealer or this deal and although they have a deposit I never signed anything. I should be able to get it back, I think.
It's funny, my impression from the start was bad, at that dealership (no discounts even on 06s) I went to another dealership an hour in the opposite direction from me. After a week of having to chase that MA down and not having my calls returned (after I picked out a car on their lot,) I left there to go back to the orginal dealer.
My experience with MINI MAs has been very bad! These cars better be worth it! I have 2 more compass directions to go if I decide to walk away from this deal.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
Blimey, what a great plate!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that you are going to end a business relationship over a set of rubber floor mats? Fussing about floor mats doesn't seem worth the energy. Take the car; if you want some floor mats, buy some. By happy, don't worry--at least aobut rubber floor mats.

Joe

Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
You missed the whole point, graphicsjoe.
But thanks for your input

Old 02-27-2007, 06:08 PM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I think your point was you don't feel the dealer respects your business but all you have stated was that he wouldn't give you any freebies or a deal on wheels. Are there other things that make you feel this way? Does he answer your questions and return your calls or emails?

What makes me think you have a bad MA is that you have a $500 deposit with them, a car on order and you haven't signed anything!? That seems very unprofessional to me.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
YarvisCooperS
2nd Gear
Designer:
If you feel unhappy, why would you still consider going to this dealer? If I were you I would find a dealer who TRULY wanted your business. Case in point, MY dealer, Morristown Mini has been NOTHING but professional. I have to sit here and type to you and everyone else, this car buying experience has been one of the BEST, if not THE BEST I have ever had. I was treated very fairly and more importantly very professionally from the start. MY MA is such a sweet young lady, she started there as a phone receptionist and worked her way up to MA. Why don't you give them a call and let them know your situation? I am sure they will at least TRY to vie for your business. Magdalena Brancaccio 973- 451-0009 is the MA ask her to speak with the Sales Manager Ed and see what they can do for you. BTW, NYS law says that they (a dealer) must return the entire deposit to you if you don't decide to go through with the purchase. So, don't let ANYONE at that dealership tell you otherwise, especially if you never signed anything.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I am sorry to have ranted like this here. I just had to get it out.
It has very little to do with the matts or any freebies. I was wrong to have started this post with that title.
It has very little to do with freebies or the wheels.
Every email I have sent has been answered (barely) and incompletely. When talking on the phone I have heard exhales while I'm talking -- you know, like the sound (sigh) you make when sitting in a boring seminar/lecture.
In person, when I asked a question if I was not given the wrong answer (delivered with an attitude like he knew it all) I was told he'd have to get back to me and he did not. When I brought the questions up the next times I spoke on the phone or in emails I had found out the answers myself and let him give me the answer he found out and then I'd have to correct him. I have given him the benifit of the doubt until he went through training which was the week before last but it has not gotten any better.
If you don't know something say so and get back to me -- is that too much to ask?
I understand that it all seems petty, but I'm relying on the MA to essentially a spokes person for the dealership. I may have issues with this car down the road and I need to feel I'm dealing with people smarter than me when it comes to cars. I also need to feel like I trust the MA, I may need an help down the road with a warrenty issue.
I just think if any salesperson is not going to be responsive before I hand over my hard earned money why would he afterwards?
I've given others here advice about not dumping a whole dealership for the sake of one person but I've spoken to the Sales Manager a couple of times in the past and I was equally underwhelmed. I'm thinking my positive feelings about my ordered MINi have clouded my judgement up until now.
I'm just going to sit on it and see what I think after a day or two.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
designerMINI I feel terrible for you. Whether they hold the market on these cars or not it is no excuse for poor customer service. I feel lucky that my MA was great, my freebies included 2 Mini keychains and some mints. Admittedly, I went into this whole thing not expecting a typical car buying experience so when I was killed with a rediculous doc fee and some other charges for other things I wasnt taken too far aback. I went into it for the car which I got and I love. Clouded judgement? Probably. Another thing to consider, when you go back in for service (at least at my dealership) you dont deal with your MA, you speak with a Service Advisor. Try talking to the SA and see if they are any better because they really are the ones you will be talking with from here on out. Good luck, I hope you get some peace of mind!

Old 02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
novemberist
3rd Gear
Before picking up my MINI, I neglected to tell my MA that I wanted black rubber floor mats. I assumed that they would come included. When I picked up my MINI, I was not only shocked to know I had to pay $$ for them, but was told that they ran out of black rubber floor mats. So I actually drove around with paper mats for a week... (which was a slight nightmare for a clean freak such as myself.)

But, my MA did throw in a "Let's Motor" license plate holder for free. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much.

I understand your complaint very well since many people make out the MINI buying experience to be something above and beyond the normal car buying hassle. Go figure. MINI dealerships are still just car dealerships who need to bring in profit.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 PM
beatmarkie
1st Gear
Ok, I know this is off-topic. I'm a newb. I've posted this a couple of times and no has answered me yet.

What does MA stand for?

Thx in advance.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
DyeLooper
4th Gear
Is it the person you are dissatisfied with, or is it the dealership as a whole. Everyone that works their may think the guy you are dealing with is a pure dooFUS!! Find out somehow from the GM, tell him this guy is a jackass. Tell him you do not feel warm and fuzzy. Gotta fell warm and fuzzy when you are dropping 25K. The GM may help ya!! It's his *** on the line in the end.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Orca
2nd Gear
Guess I was blessed by my MA. I received front and rear floor mats, 2 key chains, & a coffee holder for free. Born to ride in Oregon!!

Quick Reply: Has anyone gotten goodies from their MA when they picked up their new MINI?