General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is waving dead??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 AM
4htbx020
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I look at every mini I see because they are all different and reflects a little of the owner's personality. They are all so nice to see! If they look at me and wave then I know they also appreciate other minis. If they pretend they don't see me then my take is that they are kinda wrapped up in their own mini....some people are like that. As far as I'm concerned if everyone had a mini I would drive around all day looking at them.

In the bay area there are so many and sometimes you can get a little Italian Job type driving action with 2 or more mini's around the streets...so fun when that happens and you get so many people to watch and smile.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Madcaps
1st Gear
I had been in a wave dry spell for awhile until this past weekend on a trip up to NH. I was pretty into singing along to the song on the radio I didn't even see the beautiful red Cooper passing by on my left, until she was a bit past me and waved through her sunroof so I'd be sure to see. Made me smile all day.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 PM
1QukMINI
6th Gear
People in Charlotte are pretty good about it.... I know I always do, and it makes me smile when my wife points out one I might miss...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM
nallen00
2nd Gear
It's Why I Bought A MINI...

...this is a community, pure and simple. In fact, it is my experience that the MINI cult is among the greatest bunch of varied personalities in the world, bar none. I am proud to call all of you my friends. If I were stranded, any one of you would gladly stop to help - I truly believe that. This is camaraderie I doubt exists in many enthusiast circles.

The MINI brings out something in people. Everywhere I go it seems to effect a smile on someone's face, MINI owner or not. I'm told on a daily basis how enjoyable it is to see one up close or in passing. I am proud of that. It's inspiring.

To think that a friendly wave - an inextricable component of our society - might be cut short for fear of looking "geeky" or like a "freak" makes me genuinely sad. I bought Pepin for the promise of belonging to a family of people who needed more than point-A to point-B; more purpose than just any sporty car can afford. They needed fellowship. I'm not going Waco here, I'm speaking from my heart.

I will continue to wave. Period. It may sound silly, but it gets me down when after a wave or "Hello!" I'm treated with the same reaction as if a stalk of broccoli had sprouted from my forehead No matter, I'd still stop to help - rain, sleet, snow. This MINI thing, fellas...it's bigger than all of us. And that's just being real

So, if you see a tremendously handsome fellow in an '02 EB/W MCS waving or screaming in tongues, wave back! If you can't, then ask yourself why. Why is it such a burden to return a friendly gesture? Because you don't know me? Heck, I still don't know half the people at my mother's family reunions!

Looking forward...

Old 10-16-2007, 05:23 PM
jankey
1st Gear
Waving

Nallen
I totally agree with you.
Jan

Old 10-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Bozo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very well stated, N. I applaud your eloquence and your tenaciously friendly spirit.

I am going to guess that in the UK or in Europe where MINIs are more common, this friendly greeting thing is attenuated at best. It may be that as with so many things, the level of comradare is inversely proportional to the number of anonymous individuals in the community. I truely hope that the US does not follow Europe's lead. We all need more exuces these days just to be firendly. I mean, heck, have you looked at the covers of music albums lately? Even the Christian bands frequently look depressed and surley, as if they wanted to mug you for just being in their little world. A smile is a sign of weakness today. It seems we have developed into a society of angry, petty egoists who can actually be offended at a friendly gesture. The MINI gives some of us a reason (if we need it) to get beyond that nonsense, maybe even beyond ourselves a little bit as we look for something that we share with others.

Then again ...its only a car, right...?

...Right?

-B

-B

Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Neverfifty
3rd Gear
Nallen you are spot on! I completely agree. You know what they say, "You can pick your friends but not your RELATIVES!!"

Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 PM
nallen00
2nd Gear
I'm Honored...

...it feels good to be a part of something meaningful. Enriching, even. MINIs are not status symbols - someone felt it should return. And it wasn't to lend us another trinket for accentuating our stylish new shoes or wristwatch. It was because the throbbing motoring heart wasn't whole. Set profit aside for a moment and consider this thread. Here we are stricken by the concept that someone might not return our wave! The MINI, folks, is bigger than profit

However, we were not always so enlightened. So, be patient with those who do not wave. Their realization will come. It took reading but a single post to see that this is where I belong. Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback, and Happy Motoring

Looking forward...

Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 AM
beowulf777
2nd Gear
Sometimes I am daydreaming and don't see it until too late, but otherwise I wave every time. It has become such a habit for me that when I am in my wife's Yukon I find my self wanting to wave at MINI's I see.

I think it is great and I am not bothered if the other driver doesn't return the wave, but really enjoy it when they do.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
I have had my fair share(so far) of wave or not wave back. My 2 all time fave wave backs were, I was driving with my wife in the car for the 3 time and i was telling her about waving to other mini drivers. She drives a honda fit so she doesn't get it and she was asking every scarstic question in the bookto try and make me feel silly. Then like 30 minutes later we passed another astro black mini with an elderly couple behind the wheel. We both started waving like crazy at each other and then i looked over at my wife and smiled. Her eyes got wide and she started laughing. She now waves for me as we pass other drivers. The other all time fav wave back was in light traffic on the way to work. I was driving along just zoneing out and then like 12 motorcycles cruzed by. They were weaving in and out of traffic as they passed. One driver circled around me and my mini. He pulled up next to me and waved to get my attention. I looked over and he gave me a big thumbs up . I smiled the rest of the day at my crappy job and all the way home. It like totaly made my day.

I think every one should wave back it realy makes someone eles day even if its not the driver you are waving to. So if any one in Houston finds themself driving on 45n to i10 to 610n and a astro black mcs flys by,count on that i will wave out the sunroof as i wiz by
brandon

Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
velveteen_mini
1st Gear
I always acknowledge other MINI drivers. And if an original Mini waves at me, I wave back. But I feel that, now that BMW has marketed the MINI to the comuter crowd, fewer people understand or care about the cameraderie. I waved at one lady going the other way a few months back. She hit the brakes in the middle of traffic and stared at me like I was insane. I deliberately caught up to and got beside another MINI on the freeway the other week. He acted like I was a stalker, even after I waved. He sped up and slowed down so he wouldn't be beside me anymore. I finally gave up and blasted by him, and waved again.The other night, it was pouring rain so I gave a quick flash of the headlights instead of waving. Under these circumstances, I would usually hit my fog lights but I didn't realize it quickly enough. The MINI going the other way thought I was letting them know about radar and slowed down to avoid a ticket. Sigh.

On the other side of the coin, I saw another velvet red MINI not far from home and waved. We were both waving and grinning like lunatics. I had a smile for hours. It is also nice when you see someone clue in and they grin and wave. Plus, it's pretty cool when another MINI adjusts their speed to get beside you or behind you. But, it happens rarely to me now.

So, the point of the story is, if you find yourself in southern British Columbia and you see a Velvet Red Cooper, smile and wave. I need the support.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:28 PM
MXMINI
1st Gear
After having a really horrible day, I was on the freeway tonight and heard a beep-beep from a blue MINI with silver stripes. He changed into my lane in front of me - I flashed him (with my lights) and then a red MINI got right behind him, who I also flashed.

I honestly think it was the only time I smiled all day. Thank you MINIs!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Blue Cooper
4th Gear
Wave T-Shirt

If you are in a wave funk check this out!
www.cafepress.com/ajhdesign

Mens WAVE-T

Ladies WAVE-T

Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM
nallen00
2nd Gear
In The Mail...

Love the product descriptions. Thanks Blue Cooper

Last edited by nallen00; 10-21-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
I waved at a MINI the other day and they looked at me strangely... then I realized that I was driving my wife's big 4-door sedan!
I always wave at MINIs. It doesn't matter what I'm driving or if they wave back. So when fools in strange cars wave to you, wave back. They may be part of the MINI community . . . or they may just be part of the community.

In rural areas folks often wave. Many times it is just by raising a finger off the steering wheel. When you are just passing through they wave to you because you're probably visiting their cousin. It is a nice sign of welcome. I wave back, lifting my finger, once I realize I'm in one of those areas.

The most terrifying waving in my life was in Baja California. Years ago and the paved road down the peninsula was new. It was exactly as wide as one bus and one Ford pickup. We were in the pickup. At high speed (the bus not us) all of the bus drivers would take one hand off the wheel to wave just before passing at a closing speed of 120 mph or so. They may have been skilled but we were in an old Ford with an old Ford steering box.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
I'm so excited!!

Originally Posted by Chili Cart
I am very disappointed!! I've gotten 1 return wave in 2 months!!!!

When I was 7 my Dad owned a corvette and all the corvette owners would wave to each other. I thought my Dad was super popular!! Anyway, when he finially enlightened me I thought... one day I'll own a special car and start the wave.

Don't worry Dad, I'll keep trying!
Just a quick update.... I have gotten a lot more waves since I responded to this post. Must keep waving!!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 AM
sukgar
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nallen00
...this is a community, pure and simple. In fact, it is my experience that the MINI cult is among the greatest bunch of varied personalities in the world, bar none. I am proud to call all of you my friends. If I were stranded, any one of you would gladly stop to help - I truly believe that. This is camaraderie I doubt exists in many enthusiast circles.

The MINI brings out something in people. Everywhere I go it seems to effect a smile on someone's face, MINI owner or not. I'm told on a daily basis how enjoyable it is to see one up close or in passing. I am proud of that. It's inspiring.

To think that a friendly wave - an inextricable component of our society - might be cut short for fear of looking "geeky" or like a "freak" makes me genuinely sad. I bought Pepin for the promise of belonging to a family of people who needed more than point-A to point-B; more purpose than just any sporty car can afford. They needed fellowship. I'm not going Waco here, I'm speaking from my heart.

I will continue to wave. Period. It may sound silly, but it gets me down when after a wave or "Hello!" I'm treated with the same reaction as if a stalk of broccoli had sprouted from my forehead No matter, I'd still stop to help - rain, sleet, snow. This MINI thing, fellas...it's bigger than all of us. And that's just being real

So, if you see a tremendously handsome fellow in an '02 EB/W MCS waving or screaming in tongues, wave back! If you can't, then ask yourself why. Why is it such a burden to return a friendly gesture? Because you don't know me? Heck, I still don't know half the people at my mother's family reunions!

Looking forward...
I totally agree! Just 1 week ago, a guy at the gas station told me how great my mini looks.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:08 PM
nallen00
2nd Gear
The Pessimist In All Of Us...

General Thoughts and Concerns

...I've found that no matter how effectively I press the issue, or how passionately I deliver the message, there is always someone to play the doom sayer. Usually, they resort to exhausted comparisons of other make/model communities where waving has been relegated to extinction, asserting that because it happened to them, we will inevitably meet the same fate. I find this to be an excruciatingly lame tactic, and a blatant cop out.

I mean, what the hell are we doing here? Why did we bother with creating forums? Clubs? If it doesn't matter to you, then leave us be. This topic is bigger than waving itself, it's about the health of our community. Our community - as in the people who make a conscientious effort to keep it alive. Either you're in this 100-percent, or you shut the hell up and move on. I'm just so sick of these ignorant bastards and their hollow banter.

Then again, I have been accused of being a bit overzealous. Maybe that's true. And maybe we will share a similar history with other enthusiast circles. But if that day comes, know this: the fault is ours. Ours. Until then, I'll continue my crusade. In fact, I've toyed with the idea of organizing an event here in Indiana titled "Save A Wave". I wonder how many naysayers would attend

Looking forward...

Old 11-18-2007, 06:31 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[sulk] well, i waved... [/sulk]

Waves aren't always returned, but neither are smiles. That's no reason to stop waving or smiling.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:40 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I always wave. I'd guess of those that saw the wave (remember that not everyone sees your wave) 90% return the wave.
I figure if they are not into their Mini enough to understand the meaning of the wave, its their loss, not mine.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 PM
noles825
Banned
I actually am considering buying the site "www.savethewave.com" and trying to start some type of conscious effort to save the Mini wave. Possibly a silly idea, but if it's a good enough deal, then I might be able to get some momentum with it and create some type of awareness

Getting waves returned is kind of hit or miss, but it seems lately that people look at me funny when I wave. Sometimes I get return waves, but I see 5-10 Minis a day on average, and I can sometimes go a whole week without getting a return wave

Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
SPICYORANGEMINI
1st Gear
I love to wave! Sometimes I wave at MINIs and I am in my other car. Duh. There are several MINIs in my (red)neck of the woods but the only one who will not wave is a middle aged lady in a tin-top Pepper White... Grrr. I will not give up trying though!!! She cannot hold out forever! ;o)

Old 11-18-2007, 07:38 PM
IsAMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPICYORANGEMINI
I love to wave! Sometimes I wave at MINIs and I am in my other car. Duh. There are several MINIs in my (red)neck of the woods but the only one who will not wave is a middle aged lady in a tin-top Pepper White... Grrr. I will not give up trying though!!! She cannot hold out forever! ;o)
Good for you!!! I do that too....just MAKE 'em wave. Some of them look at me like I have lost my mind but some of us have MINI spirit...yes, we do!!!!! Party poopers. They didn't read the part about having fun with the car!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They didn't read the part about having fun with the car!!!!!!
Yaah, there are people who just aren't "into it", and that's OK. TEHO. I'll wave when I can, and if I don't return the wave it's either because "hey, I'm DRIVING here", or I just didn't see you in time, or I'm zoning with my passenger(s), or it's not an appropriate time (like when I'm taking a client to lunch...).

Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 PM
edbear67
2nd Gear
Can't wait to wave!

For those of you who posted from So. Cal. last year get your "wave on" the first week of December when I get my MINI. I'll be waving, honking, flashing, and grinning like a fool all over the 405 and beach areas.
I feel a little silly doing it now in my BMW, but my friend Nate who drives a green Honda Accord honks for me.

Kirby Kuromi- 07MCSa|BRG/B|Cold-Convenience-HyperSport -Sport|F/R fogs|White turn sigs|Anthracite headliner/grey colorline/brush alloy|Punch Carbon Leather|Hi-Fi|
Multi Func.Wheel|iPOD|18" Black JCW rims|2" shorty antennae
Ordered 10/15 Production start 10/20 Completed 10/28 Leaving Southampton 11/4/07 ETA Port Hueneme 11/26/07

Quick Reply: Is waving dead??