General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Astro Black Registry

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
dgboggs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
No harm, and your car look nice, too.
Thanks!

I actually had an STi '05 that was the Obsidian Black, and it's very similar. In a way I REALLY liked the color, and in a way, I always wished that it was pure black. The nice thing about that color is that it had gold and green-blue flecks, so in the sun it just lit up.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:14 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those of you who expressed a desire to to see photos of my graphics, images are now in my gallery. Sorry about the photo quality.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by The Short Bus
I don't want to hijack, but what was cosmos black like? I test drove an 04 black MC in April 04, but i couldn't remember which black it was.
Late reply, but...

Next time you're in the area of a DCMM get-together, I'll park next to an Astro Black and a jet black (I'm a Cosmos Black!). The main difference is that a Cosmos Black is a metallic-grayish-black, while an Astro Black is a metallic-bluish-black. The jet-black was a flat black (but still a beautiful color!)

-Paul!

Old 12-20-2005, 05:41 PM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Checking in!

Old 12-21-2005, 07:41 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Forgot to metion, MIB is home will be two weeks Friday Pix in my galery.

Every time I drive it I smile.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:57 PM
OZChris
3rd Gear
Hi All

My Week 45 Astro Black / White roof MCS arrived in Melbourne, Australia this week. Any luck I might see in the first week on January. Will post pics when it is delivered.

Like many others, my wife and I chose Astro Black as Jet Black has been discontinued and we chose Astro Black without actually seeing it on a car

Cheers
Chris

Old 12-22-2005, 04:48 PM
DB_NC_06MC
2nd Gear

Haven't taken other pics than at delivery above and with it's garagemate in my sig... love the colour

Old 12-23-2005, 11:32 AM
mbutterf
Neutral
Need some info on astro black color?

I just ordered an astro black cooper s... But after looking at some pictures it seems grey or blue... does it ever look black.. Im a little worried!

Old 12-23-2005, 01:46 PM
sagworks
running with scissors
Itis black with blue undertones. In direct sun it does look a dark navy. Take a look in my gallery. I took some pics for another NAM member as a closeup of the color. In non-sunlight times it does look a really rich black - it is GORGEOUS color. I put some M21 pntop of a coat of NXT and it looked an even deeper black. I bought mine without ever seeing the color on a whole car, and was really nervous - but could not be happier with my choice.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:31 AM
DB_NC_06MC
2nd Gear
It's the color that BMW used to call cosmos black I think, on their M5. It's gorgeous. In overcast light it's very black. In sunlight there are specs of blue and grey. I am very glad I got the color. My SC is jet black, the Cooper is the metallic, so I have the best of both worlds.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:49 PM
chex4me
1st Gear
Just checkin' in!
Like the saying goes "once you go astro black..."

Old 12-24-2005, 05:45 PM
saakey
5th Gear
congrats to all those that have their Astro's now ... Still waiting to order mine ...want winter to be over with first ..then she's all mine

Old 12-30-2005, 10:26 AM
mbutterf
Neutral
anybody got some pics of an astro black cooper s with a astro black roof?

Old 12-30-2005, 01:19 PM
DB_NC_06MC
2nd Gear
You can't see my roof well enough in my sig, but it's astro black. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it (But I can't guarantee if it'll be sunny or cloudy!)

Old 12-30-2005, 05:28 PM
saakey
5th Gear
Just so you all know, i finally ordered my Astro Mini Cooper S with Silver roof and mirrors! ...I can't wait...won't be around till the end of February that I get to see 'er ..but i am so excited! She has the sport package, Limited Slip Differential, sun roof, chrono package as the main goodies... i'm So excited

Old 12-30-2005, 05:33 PM
chex4me
1st Gear
Congratulations Saakey! February will be here before you know it!
Did you end up getting the hood "U" racing stripe?

Old 12-31-2005, 12:47 AM
saakey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chex4me
Congratulations Saakey! February will be here before you know it!
Did you end up getting the hood "U" racing stripe?
Thanks, I hope so! ...and yes, I got the U-stripe

Old 12-31-2005, 06:06 AM
DB_NC_06MC
2nd Gear
Sorry about the poor flash quality

it's raining like a M----F----- here, I didn't want to pull it out and get it wet, just washed it Thursday.

I didn't get high up enough to get the flash on the roof, but when seeing it last night at the movies with the parking lot lights on it, I'm glad I got body colour mirrors and roof.

Attached Thumbnails Astro Black Registry-garagetopside.jpg   Astro Black Registry-garagetop.jpg  
Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
rygold
5th Gear
POISON: Delivered Dec. 28/05. See sig for details, and my Gallery for pics.

100 km. and a freakin' snow storm in Toronto. Welcome to Canada, eh?

=R=

Old 12-31-2005, 01:09 PM
chex4me
1st Gear
rygold--
Good to see another AB/S Checkmate Mini around here! Haven't seen many Checkmate owners around, let alone ones with AB. Mine's not quite as loaded as yours, but LOVE it nonetheless. Nice touch with the diverging rear stripes...assume you got those aftermarket?

Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM
rygold
5th Gear
Hi Chex:

You're right, the rear stripes were applied at MINI Woodbridge in Toronto. They were done by 3M Trimline (N.W. Toronto). They also did the 3M Clear Bra and the window tinting.

I found the idea for the stripes here: http://www.toddsmods.com/blog/. Todd is one of the guys from the WhiteRoofRadio podcast. He's done a zillion stripes, it seems.

How 'bout the Checkmate interior? It's awesome, and, methinks, soon to be a rarity.

=R=

Old 12-31-2005, 01:52 PM
chex4me
1st Gear
Cool, I'll have to check his site.

Yeah, at first wasn't sure about how the interior combination would go with the AB exterior, but when I saw it in person, I had no hesitations. With the space cloth gone, the interior (and it's rarity) is just something more to love about my car!

As I see more and more pics of AB's like yours, I've decided that window tinting may be the first execution off my never-ending MINI wishlist.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:59 PM
MIKE PREDINA
2nd Gear
I was fortunate enough to be able to get a MINI Cooper out of stock-actually a 900 mile demo-back on the first of July. Of course, I really didn't want a black car, but the combination of the Astro Black with the black-n-tan (actually anthracite and cordoba beige) leather interior turned out to be just what I wanted, even if I didn't know it in the first place. I put some vinyl graphics-Opus the penguin and a few words on the boot, er, trunque, and I'm pretty happy with that. It's subtle, but still differentiates mine from others. Now I'm considering some checkered stripes of some sort, or maybe not. With the winter weather here in the North-East Ohio snow belt, I had considered just clearcoating the crusty salt that's all over the body and tell everyone it's supposed to be a Bonneville Salt Flats racer, but............ Anywayz, I really like the Astro Blackness of my MINI, but then, I like 'em all.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
OZChris
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MIKE PREDINA
I was fortunate enough to be able to get a MINI Cooper out of stock-actually a 900 mile demo-back on the first of July. Of course, I really didn't want a black car, but the combination of the Astro Black with the black-n-tan (actually anthracite and cordoba beige) leather interior turned out to be just what I wanted, even if I didn't know it in the first place. I put some vinyl graphics-Opus the penguin and a few words on the boot, er, trunque, and I'm pretty happy with that. It's subtle, but still differentiates mine from others. Now I'm considering some checkered stripes of some sort, or maybe not. With the winter weather here in the North-East Ohio snow belt, I had considered just clearcoating the crusty salt that's all over the body and tell everyone it's supposed to be a Bonneville Salt Flats racer, but............ Anywayz, I really like the Astro Blackness of my MINI, but then, I like 'em all.
Any chance you could post some pics, especially where we can see the contrast between Astro Black and tan. Thanks in advance.
Chris

Old 01-08-2006, 07:01 PM
OZChris
3rd Gear
Mine arrived at the dealers - yah

Quick Reply: Astro Black Registry