General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:21 AM
mikeeyd
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Buying Advice

I have not owned a Mini for several years but looking to make another purchase. I am recently retired and I spend six months in NJ and six in Florida. I'm not looking to lease a new Mini, would prefer a later S model, two door with a six speed trans. Any advice if one year is better than another or to buy a certified car from a Mini dealer? Moonroof and Nav would be nice options to have.
I appreciate any advice.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Boxsternaut
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I've always liked the Mini, I've never had one. Not even a ride in one (yet). Now I'm beginning the adventure to find the right one, kind of like you I would assume. This is a great place to start your research. Click on Forums (up on top left), look at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen mini's, then the sub forum's there, especially "Stock Problems / Issues". Some good info there on what each generation can bite you with. From there keep rolling through some of the stickies in other forums. I'm motoring on through this site and finding all kinds of good stuff and the folks here seem to be quite helpful. It's a great place!

Old 03-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Buzzbcooper
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mikey D..

Hi! - Sound like you and I have a similar situation.

I retired in 2007 (but staying home puttering around did fit me) so I found a 20 hour hr week job. I drive my 2009 Clubman(this is my second Mini, I leased my first one and never had any problems at all w, 40K when I turned that car in. I think leasing is kind of a racket so purchased my Clubman in 2009.

Basically I drive it back and forth to work, put a couple 100 miles (at each week at best)which (combined highway trips and suburban puttering around). I am aware that I'm driving a ten year old car.w/91K on it I have kept up on maintenance, (a deer decided she'd run in front of car - no damage to frame, but did get a new radiator and water pump-which seems to be a problem in some Mini's) and right.fender took about 4 weeks to get him back, but they did a great job and no problem from that experience which happened in 2011. It's really important if you buy a used Mini that you have a local mechanic (that you trust) check it out. if the dealer/seller won't let you do that, then walk away..

I hit a huge pothole a couple of weeks ago, which destroyed the right front tire and wheel. Fortunately no damage to anything that damaged the steering or under carriage. In March I had a leaky head gasket and had them put in a set of spark plugs while they were in there.
I do need a new accessory belt. My brother purchased one ( it was my Xmas gift)! He'll install it for me once the weather warms up. Fingers crossed that existing one will hold up..

Same brother last week told me I needed to be looking for a new car. He said I shouldn't even consider a low mileage 2017 Mini I saw on Car Guru. He said they were a mechanical nightmare, unreliable and IHMO over priced. He said he would doubt I'd get $2000 for my Clubman.
I've test driven a Kia Soul+ and it was only a couple 1000 less than Mini base, Not impressed.

I'm a Mini addict and will keep looking. I found this great article about purchasing a used Mini. attached below I found here, hope it helps you.

Attached Files
Old 03-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzbcooper
Mikey D..

Hi! - Sound like you and I have a similar situation.

I retired in 2007 (but staying home puttering around did fit me) so I found a 20 hour hr week job. I drive my 2009 Clubman(this is my second Mini, I leased my first one and never had any problems at all w, 40K when I turned that car in. I think leasing is kind of a racket so purchased my Clubman in 2009.

Basically I drive it back and forth to work, put a couple 100 miles (at each week at best)which (combined highway trips and suburban puttering around). I am aware that I'm driving a ten year old car.w/91K on it I have kept up on maintenance, (a deer decided she'd run in front of car - no damage to frame, but did get a new radiator and water pump-which seems to be a problem in some Mini's) and right.fender took about 4 weeks to get him back, but they did a great job and no problem from that experience which happened in 2011. It's really important if you buy a used Mini that you have a local mechanic (that you trust) check it out. if the dealer/seller won't let you do that, then walk away..

I hit a huge pothole a couple of weeks ago, which destroyed the right front tire and wheel. Fortunately no damage to anything that damaged the steering or under carriage. In March I had a leaky head gasket and had them put in a set of spark plugs while they were in there.
I do need a new accessory belt. My brother purchased one ( it was my Xmas gift)! He'll install it for me once the weather warms up. Fingers crossed that existing one will hold up..

Same brother last week told me I needed to be looking for a new car. He said I shouldn't even consider a low mileage 2017 Mini I saw on Car Guru. He said they were a mechanical nightmare, unreliable and IHMO over priced. He said he would doubt I'd get $2000 for my Clubman.
I've test driven a Kia Soul+ and it was only a couple 1000 less than Mini base, Not impressed.

I'm a Mini addict and will keep looking. I found this great article about purchasing a used Mini. attached below I found here, hope it helps you.
An 09 Clubman with 91k, one owner, all maintenance kept up? I'll give you $2500!

I would recommend you find a more qualified car advisor than your brother. You're getting lousy advice from him.

The following users liked this post:
Buzzbcooper (05-21-2019)