General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When are new models/colors revealed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 06:49 AM
another_mini_owner
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When are new models/colors revealed?

I'm thinking about buying a new mini but I don't really love any of the current colors. I used to own a second gen mini that was a great color (lightning blue) and I've seen other mini colors that look great but none of the current colors do it for me. I'm wondering when the 2020 cars will be announced, especially regarding the colors. I saw that mini did not participate in the Detroit auto show in January; I don't know if they will participate in the New York auto show in April; and even if they do, will they announce colors then? Or perhaps they do not introduce colors in advance? I wonder when the 2020 models will go on sale? I tried to figure out - looking at old posts here - when they might have introduced the 2019 cars, and I'm guessing it was sometime in the late summer time frame.

So there's the tradeoff: do I wait to see if better colors are coming out, or do I just buy it now and live with it? I'm not going to wait multiple years; if there isn't a nicer color coming out this year, then I'll just get one of the current colors. But if there is a chance for a better color, then I would have good motivation to wait - and to be one of the first to get the new color!

Thanks for your thoughts.

(edit: apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum; I couldn't decide which forum this belonged in.)

Old 02-26-2019, 06:00 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Production changeover historically happens in July. MINI, like the parent BMW, usually does a mid-cycle refresh (called the LCI) about every 3 years. So, when a new model/generation is released, usually about 3 years later there are some updates and refreshes to trim and features, then 2 - 3 years later a new, fully updated model appears.

But things are changing as MINI sales in the USA are not strong. Thus new models, features, and colors may pop up at any time in the cycle. Especially with the upcoming electric model(s) in the pipeline and the 300HP JCWs on the horizon.

You will also notice if you try to build a car on MINIUSA, not all available colors always are shown. Known issue that they are supposedly sorting.

Dealers often learn about new colors/features just slightly ahead of the model year end, but often are reluctant to share much because they want you to buy today. But if you show up to a dealer in late July and talk about a factory order, you should be provided with whatever latest info they have.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-28-2019)
Old 04-04-2021, 02:11 PM
macct
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Update

Mispost

Last edited by macct; 04-04-2021 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Wrong Reply