General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone wave anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:27 PM
MomMini
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Rarely to be honest. I live in an area with a lot of Mini's. I have a dealer 3 miles from home and 5 dealers in the metro area.

Last edited by MomMini; 01-12-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:12 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Solidarity!
Or maybe one of these ✌��

Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 AM
californiadreaming
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same here... I'm on the east coast and I've waved at a dozen or so and 1 waved back. When it comes to Porsche everyone waves and smiles almost 99% of the time. I even asked my wife the other afternoon what in the hell is wrong with the mini drivers.

My Mini is 2019 JCW and love it! But I do wish there was more excitement with other Mini drivers out there. Here I've seen more chicks driving Mini's than men and I've only seen 1 JCW since I've bought mine in the area and he didn't even wave back or flash me.

Interesting topic to say the least but when driving the Porsche we always wave and smile and or flash the lights. What gives people?

Old 01-12-2019, 12:24 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I think it’s probably a bit of everything that’s been mentioned so far. One thing that stands out to me is the stark contrast between the enthusiasts and the rest of the people driving a Mini now. The local Mini club that I belong to has a large number of members and a very active Facebook page. We all look for the club sticker in the rear window to recognize a fellow member and enthusiast. But I see a lot of others all around, and more all the time, it seems. But some buy them because they are “cute” and then treat and drive it like a Camry, with no real passion for the car or driving in general. It’s just another appliance to some, I think. So “why is that guy giving me the peace sign?” Is what I imagine their internal dialogue to be, if they even notice at all.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 01-12-2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar
The following users liked this post:
californiadreaming (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
...it seems like the newer MINIs dont wave back as much, when I see another R53 9/10 I get a wave back.
That’s right on par with what I see. Most R53s will either generate the wave or at least issue a reciprocal wave back; anything newer is unlikely to participate.

How about folks’ experiences with the “original” MINIs? Can’t say I see many of them on the roads here in the Northeast, outside of car shows.

Do they even recognize us?

Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yep, the classics I just see at the big Vintage car shows. Last time i went to MINI car show most were Gen 2 and Gen 3, gone since 2004 and I remember back in the day when you saw R53's for days.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
I think it’s probably a bit of everything that’s been mentioned so far. One thing that stands out to me is the stark contrast between the enthusiasts and the rest of the people driving a Mini now. The local Mini club that I belong to has a large number of members and a very active Facebook page. We all look for the club sticker in the rear window to recognize a fellow member and enthusiast. But I see a lot of others all around, and more all the time, it seems. But some buy them because they are “cute” and then treat and drive it like a Camry, with no real passion for the car or driving in general. It’s just another appliance to some, I think. So “why is that guy giving me the peace sign?” Is what I imagine their internal dialogue to be, if they even notice at all.
Yeah, same reasons the NC/ND Miata crowd gets butthurt about the NA and NB guys not waving at them.

Want to see some real upset, ask Can-Am riders about getting waves from real motorcyclists.

Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA

How about folks’ experiences with the “original” MINIs? Can’t say I see many of them on the roads here in the Northeast, outside of car shows.

Do they even recognize us?
No, MINI drivers don't recognize Minis. Mostly I just get thumbs up from older guys who probably are into classic cars in general.

Last edited by Derek86; 01-14-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 AM
aunknown
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel like here most people are friendly and mostly wave back, I have had some younger generation people just look confused lol.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 AM
gasmini03
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the most part there are hardly any waves returned to me. I do still see people almost breaking their necks trying to get a better look at what the hell was that we just met. When I'm driving the mini pickup and meeting someone going the other way I sometimes move over to the side so I'm only on about one forth of it.:-)

Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM
aunknown
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gasmini03
For the most part there are hardly any waves returned to me. I do still see people almost breaking their necks trying to get a better look at what the hell was that we just met. When I'm driving the mini pickup and meeting someone going the other way I sometimes move over to the side so I'm only on about one forth of it.:-)
I imagine a Mini pickup would be quit the head turner on the road!

Old 01-15-2019, 08:37 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I wave ... sometimes when I'm not in one of my MINIs ...

Motor On!

Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I've owned a '79 Mini for 15 years an a MINI owner since 2002

and I don't know what series one Cooper and a series two Cooper.

means . . .

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

there was a time when my 'classic' brought reverence at any gathering of MiNi fans

and then SOME Mini folks got very LOUD in disparaging the MINI

IME the local Little British Car clubs are very open to having MINI join

while certain clusters of Mini folks are so against MINI that they remind me of some politicians

food for thought .....

Old 01-15-2019, 03:02 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts

I only wave to other MINI’s that are modified. In the Jeep world everyone waves.

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

Old 01-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
I wave, but I'm that guy...

I grew up in the country, where if someone didn't wave when you passed on the road, you immediately became suspicious.

In the Mustang world, I wave at all generations, even the ragged out 4 cylinder fox bodies. If you don't wave back, I'm assuming it's because you weren't expecting it, and that you might just initiate next time.

I've only been driving my R53 for less than a month. I'll wave at anything with a MINI badge on it. What's the harm of being friendly?

Beemerchef (03-20-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 PM
Tiptonite
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wave and receive waves in my R53. I also have a Wrangler so I’m waving all the time haha.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
I live in central CA. After never having any returned waves, I felt like some dork. I don't wave anymore. When I bought my '08S, I joined REME and NorCal Minis and at the time both clubs were incredibly, enthusiastic. Lots of modding and really fun runs. REME disbanded and NorCal changed. It's just changed. Motoringfile writes articles about how MINIs have gone downhill and they wish they could still buy an R53. How does this promote MINI? The R53 guys shunned the R56s and then the F56s and now you have what we have.
The MINI enthusiasts should have welcomed the ongoing improvements , but they didn't.
Of course, now that the numbers of the first gen cars are starting to dwindle, maybe the 3rd Gen can bring back the enthusiasm. It's a tremendously better car in every aspect compared to the 1st and 2nd Gen cars.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:36 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I find that I can spot a Mini pretty easy, its small size is not hard to miss.
I'll stare at the other driver of a Mini and their eyes never leave the space just
ahead of the hood, and I just don't even bother waving as they never even
saw me coming towards them; kind of in a trance.
I guess this is a good driving habit, paying attention whats ahead of you.... ?

Old 01-16-2019, 05:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yep, or they are zombies. lol

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Husky44

I've only been driving my R53 for less than a month. I'll wave at anything with a MINI badge on it. What's the harm of being friendly?
This is my attitude in a nutshell. I'm not going to worry about how others perceive me, and maybe it will trigger something in the zombie drivers and next time they will wave.

Its kind of like smiling, do it enough and it becomes contagious, even if it unsettles those who dont know why you are smiling...

Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 AM
MiniAndo
3rd Gear
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
Want to see some real upset, ask Can-Am riders about getting waves from real motorcyclists.
LMAO @ "real motorcyclists". We picked up a Z125 (street legal pitbike) last summer and I kid you not I get more waves on that thing than my full sized bike. Poor Can-Am riders. I wave to them but I hold out three fingers instead of two. XD

Originally Posted by dpcompt
The R53 guys shunned the R56s and then the F56s and now you have what we have.
The MINI enthusiasts should have welcomed the ongoing improvements , but they didn't...
...It's a tremendously better car in every aspect compared to the 1st and 2nd Gen cars.
*If you ignore weight, size, steering response, and clutch feel. ;]

I admittedly don't have a lot of love for 3rd gen Minis, but that doesn't make me any more of a Mini enthusiast than those who do love them. My preferences don't make me superior, just annoying. It's possible that elitists are just resentful of 3rd gen owners for driving a less compromised version of their own car.

I think the 4dr hardtop is an abomination and would never be caught dead in one, but I still wave to them... I have yet to receive a single wave in return however. =/

(apologies if I offended anyone, I love all Minis, just some more than others)

Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Fbfisher
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dpcompt
I live in central CA. After never having any returned waves, I felt like some dork. I don't wave anymore. When I bought my '08S, I joined REME and NorCal Minis and at the time both clubs were incredibly, enthusiastic. Lots of modding and really fun runs. REME disbanded and NorCal changed. It's just changed. Motoringfile writes articles about how MINIs have gone downhill and they wish they could still buy an R53. How does this promote MINI? The R53 guys shunned the R56s and then the F56s and now you have what we have.
The MINI enthusiasts should have welcomed the ongoing improvements , but they didn't.
Of course, now that the numbers of the first gen cars are starting to dwindle, maybe the 3rd Gen can bring back the enthusiasm. It's a tremendously better car in every aspect compared to the 1st and 2nd Gen cars.
I’ve owned three Carreras of different generations and unfortunately this sounds like the same drama from the 911 crowd I used to belong to, only the grumpy attitude did not lead to undermining the enthusiasm for the cars or the brand. When the first water cooled 911 went on sale you’d have thought the world had come to an end. Same was true when the GT3 could only be ordered with paddles instead of 3 pedals. The species evolved, nearly everyone adapted, (including Porsche who reintroduced the optional manual trans on the GT3 due to enthusiasts demand) and those with air cooled manual transmission 911’s are making a fortune if they decide to sell.

Cheers!

Old 01-23-2019, 09:08 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniAndo
LMAO @ "real motorcyclists".
Yeah, you know... leather vest covered in patches, Harley t-shirt, boots, and sunglasses, permanent scowl outlined by a horseshoe mustache and a flame design Harley D.O.T. durag atop a suspiciously low mileage, super blingy, chromed out Street Glide. Usually found parked next to a trailer if any long distances need to be covered. You know who I'm talking about, the real motorcyclists.

MiniAndo (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM
Mereco
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
never understood the wave

Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Mereco
never understood the wave
What's to understand? You are acknowledging another driver with superior taste.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Danissl
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I'm glad i saw this. From what i read while researching my first mini purchase, it seemed like waving was mandatory! Haha Ive had the car for two weeks as of friday, and waved over 20 times, and not a single one back. Sad days, indeed.

Quick Reply: Does anyone wave anymore?