General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Tallguy29
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with some questions...

Hey everyone,

I am new to the mini scene and have some questions. I figured the forums would be a decent place to get some honest information and stories from owners.

I don't currently own a mini, but I am in the market. As my name says, I am tall. 6'8 to be exact. Oddly enough the mini fits me very well! I drove one for the first time yesterday- a 2013 cooper S with the automatic 6 speed transmission. I am looking into a Mini because it is peppy, gets great fuel economy, sporty, has a history/heritage, is affordable, and because when people see me get out of one they will laugh!

I have been doing some research, and it seems that these cars may not be the most reliable. Issues with electrical components and oil consumption seem particularly common. I am looking for the most reliable edition of a mini I can find for around $10,000 or less.

Which version of the Mini would suit me best?

What problems have you encountered with your Mini?

What are the maintenance/repair costs on a Mini?

What should I be looking at (problem areas to check out) when it comes to a used Mini?

My concern is getting something that I am going to constantly have to fix and attend to. Any advice, answers to my questions, and experiences are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Do you do your own repairs? If so, MINIs are a good choice. If you have repairs/maintenance done professionally, it will be an expensive car to own. Things will break/wearout.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
The best way to get answers to your questions is to start reading the forums! There are a lot of differences between the Gen1, Gen2, and Gen3 cars, and even differences within each generation depending on which engine you have. I could give you a bunch of information on Gen2, but nothing on Gen1 or Gen3, and I don't know if there's anyone who could cover all 3 generations at the level of detail you're looking for.

There's a FAQ section for each generation, start there, then continue with the rest of the forum sections for details. There's a LOT of information here. Good luck with your quest.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Tallguy29
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minidogger
Do you do your own repairs? If so, MINIs are a good choice. If you have repairs/maintenance done professionally, it will be an expensive car to own. Things will break/wearout.
I can do basic repairs myself. I have access to a good set of tools, Jack, jack stands etc.

I have owned a few modern muscle cars and done work on them. However Minis are a new area for me.

What are the most labor intensive/expensive repairs/maintenance? I have seen the timing chains have issues..

Old 12-28-2018, 08:11 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Used MINI

If you're not worried about power, the R56 non S's are really good cars. They do not have direct injection and do not have the inherent problems with DFI. Just a thought.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:04 PM
Tallguy29
Neutral
Originally Posted by dpcompt
If you're not worried about power, the R56 non S's are really good cars. They do not have direct injection and do not have the inherent problems with DFI. Just a thought.
Thanks for the tip! Being that I’ve only driven the S, is it a pretty noticeable power difference? I’d like to be able to have some fun, but I’m not against the non turbo.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:52 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
There is a noticeable difference in power.

The following users liked this post:
Tallguy29 (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 04:23 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Will this car be your daily driver, everyday type car?......or a fun “extra” car?

Old 12-29-2018, 06:22 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy29
Hey everyone,

I am new to the mini scene and have some questions. I figured the forums would be a decent place to get some honest information and stories from owners.

I don't currently own a mini, but I am in the market. As my name says, I am tall. 6'8 to be exact. Oddly enough the mini fits me very well! I drove one for the first time yesterday- a 2013 cooper S with the automatic 6 speed transmission. I am looking into a Mini because it is peppy, gets great fuel economy, sporty, has a history/heritage, is affordable, and because when people see me get out of one they will laugh!

I have been doing some research, and it seems that these cars may not be the most reliable. Issues with electrical components and oil consumption seem particularly common. I am looking for the most reliable edition of a mini I can find for around $10,000 or less.

Which version of the Mini would suit me best?

What problems have you encountered with your Mini?

What are the maintenance/repair costs on a Mini?

What should I be looking at (problem areas to check out) when it comes to a used Mini?

My concern is getting something that I am going to constantly have to fix and attend to. Any advice, answers to my questions, and experiences are much appreciated!

Thanks!
Here is a post you might like:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3754065

As others have said, spend some time reading threads here on NAM. But, also remember that a lot of what people post here are questions about how to fix something or how to modify something. They rarely post that nothing has gone wrong with the car in the last 15 years. So, just because you see a number of post about one thing or another doesn’t mean that the car is bad in total.

Like any car, if effort has been taken to maintain them, they tend to do well. The car respond well to having had oil changes every 5K miles or so. While BMW thinks that the transmission fluid is “lifetime”, it isn’t and should be changed. But if you find a car with, say, about 60K on it, that wouldn’t be an issue. Again, spend some time reading about them. A lot of people will say they have had issues, but the car is so much fun, the issues are not an issue... There is a thread called “Who plans to keep their Gen I MINI forever” and another thread called “What did you do to your MINI today”. Take a read through those.

We have a 2004 Base Cooper with 56k on it. Basically no issues. Minor oil leaks. Also, I have a 2012 S; 60ish K miles. Again, no major issues, and I run the car on the track. It has had the high pressure fuel pump, thermostat and auxiliary water pump replaced.

The biggest major issue these cars have had, IMHO, is the Gen II’s with the N14 engine (2007-2010) and the timing chain. Other than that, I would find one I liked and run with it.

Have fun.

Tallguy29 (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Tallguy29
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fastlane
Will this car be your daily driver, everyday type car?......or a fun “extra” car?
It will be my daily driver.

Originally Posted by Eddie07S

Here is a post you might like:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3754065

As others have said, spend some time reading threads here on NAM. But, also remember that a lot of what people post here are questions about how to fix something or how to modify something. They rarely post that nothing has gone wrong with the car in the last 15 years. So, just because you see a number of post about one thing or another doesn’t mean that the car is bad in total.

Like any car, if effort has been taken to maintain them, they tend to do well. The car respond well to having had oil changes every 5K miles or so. While BMW thinks that the transmission fluid is “lifetime”, it isn’t and should be changed. But if you find a car with, say, about 60K on it, that wouldn’t be an issue. Again, spend some time reading about them. A lot of people will say they have had issues, but the car is so much fun, the issues are not an issue... There is a thread called “Who plans to keep their Gen I MINI forever” and another thread called “What did you do to your MINI today”. Take a read through those.

We have a 2004 Base Cooper with 56k on it. Basically no issues. Minor oil leaks. Also, I have a 2012 S; 60ish K miles. Again, no major issues, and I run the car on the track. It has had the high pressure fuel pump, thermostat and auxiliary water pump replaced.

The biggest major issue these cars have had, IMHO, is the Gen II’s with the N14 engine (2007-2010) and the timing chain. Other than that, I would find one I liked and run with it.

Have fun.
Thank you for the information and pointing me in the right direction! I have seen some for sale already in/near my price range with 50-60k on them. I will take a look around the forums and see what I can dig up as far as information. I appreciate it!

Old 12-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Minidogger
4th Gear
It would be worth the money to have it inspected by a MINI-knowledgeable mechanic before you buy, IMO

Old 12-29-2018, 11:02 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
It will be my daily driver.

Thank you for the information and pointing me in the right direction! I have seen some for sale already in/near my price range with 50-60k on them. I will take a look around the forums and see what I can dig up as far as information. I appreciate it!
This is a very long thread (800 pages or so) and I would suggest starting from the last page and read it backwards until your eyes cross - - but it will give you a good cross-section of the MINI driver and what they think of their cars:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ini-today.html

And here is the other thread I suggested:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-forever.html

There are other threads like this one. But this gives a good idea of the positives.

One thing to note with the Gen II MINIs with the direct injection, the injectors make a bit of clatter, kind-of like the sound of the lifters of a solid lifter cams in a ‘69 Z28. This is normal.

Someone mentioned thinking about a base Cooper. Ours is plenty fun to drive and reasonably quick. Yes, the S is much faster, but as a DD, ours gets driven quite a bit. The auto (not the CVT that was put in the base Gen I MINIs) is another option that you might consider if the DD-ing is in heavy stop and go. In an S it is just as quick as the stick, and it can be had with paddle shifters. That said, the stick is a lot of fun to drive.

Tallguy29 (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 01:20 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck in the search. If looking at gen 2 as stated above, you may want to look at the post 2010 models as they have the N18 engine. While it has had its own issues, they are an improvement over the N14 IMO. I can’t speak much for the other gen cars, but basically what has been said is good advice.
the gen 1 cars are the most raw and go-kart like, with each successive generation getting a little bit bigger and more refined as they went. That’s about all I’ve got for you.
good luck and enjoy! They are the most fun on 4 wheels you can legally have!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:11 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
They are the most fun on 4 wheels you can legally have!
Just want to say I ditched a Miata for a MINI due to the utilitarian cabin. Love the hatch, great for hauling stuff. Have to tie stuff down though, due to the above normal G's in corners!

Old 12-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Tallguy29
Neutral
Originally Posted by Eddie07S

This is a very long thread (800 pages or so) and I would suggest starting from the last page and read it backwards until your eyes cross - - but it will give you a good cross-section of the MINI driver and what they think of their cars:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ini-today.html

And here is the other thread I suggested:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-forever.html

There are other threads like this one. But this gives a good idea of the positives.

One thing to note with the Gen II MINIs with the direct injection, the injectors make a bit of clatter, kind-of like the sound of the lifters of a solid lifter cams in a ‘69 Z28. This is normal.

Someone mentioned thinking about a base Cooper. Ours is plenty fun to drive and reasonably quick. Yes, the S is much faster, but as a DD, ours gets driven quite a bit. The auto (not the CVT that was put in the base Gen I MINIs) is another option that you might consider if the DD-ing is in heavy stop and go. In an S it is just as quick as the stick, and it can be had with paddle shifters. That said, the stick is a lot of fun to drive.
That tall people post is awesome! I have seen the pictures of Dirk driving the mini, which is actually what made me think it was possible for me.

Thanks for the other links as well as the heads up with the injectors, I am very familiar with the sound of lifters and the famous "HEMI Tick" that the Hemi engines have.

I have only driven the 2013 cooper S with a 6 speed auto. I am curious to try out a stick shift and see how different it feels.My commuting is a decent amount of stop and go, but my commute is only a few miles so it isn't terrible.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in the search. If looking at gen 2 as stated above, you may want to look at the post 2010 models as they have the N18 engine. While it has had its own issues, they are an improvement over the N14 IMO. I can’t speak much for the other gen cars, but basically what has been said is good advice.
the gen 1 cars are the most raw and go-kart like, with each successive generation getting a little bit bigger and more refined as they went. That’s about all I’ve got for you.
good luck and enjoy! They are the most fun on 4 wheels you can legally have!
I appreciate the welcome and the advice! I have seen the N14 had a fair share of issues and to stay away from that.

Ultimately I will likely end up with a Mini, Hyundai Sonata, or Nissan Altima or possibly a Ford Fusion. I like the Mini the most because it has the most style and history/heritage. That is what always attracted me to muscle cars (as well as the sound and raw power). I am now looking to reduce expenses, so that's where the Mini kicks in. I hope to find in my research that it will be a fun, reliable car for me.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:15 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
That tall people post is awesome! I have seen the pictures of Dirk driving the mini, which is actually what made me think it was possible for me.

Thanks for the other links as well as the heads up with the injectors, I am very familiar with the sound of lifters and the famous "HEMI Tick" that the Hemi engines have.

I have only driven the 2013 cooper S with a 6 speed auto. I am curious to try out a stick shift and see how different it feels.My commuting is a decent amount of stop and go, but my commute is only a few miles so it isn't terrible.

I appreciate the welcome and the advice! I have seen the N14 had a fair share of issues and to stay away from that.

Ultimately I will likely end up with a Mini, Hyundai Sonata, or Nissan Altima or possibly a Ford Fusion. I like the Mini the most because it has the most style and history/heritage. That is what always attracted me to muscle cars (as well as the sound and raw power). I am now looking to reduce expenses, so that's where the Mini kicks in. I hope to find in my research that it will be a fun, reliable car for me.
That’s quite the collection to choose from, lol. Like mentioned above, don’t let the forums scare you away, I’m sure there are forums for the other cars that have lots problems too, just at a glance, but we usually don’t post when things go right, lol.
I have coveted owning a cooper for years, so when I finally got the chance, I jumped and am happy that I did. I’m not tall, but they are shockingly roomy inside. You will have the most fun with a Mini, but other concerns are important too, I suppose, lol.
Good luck, and let us know if you pick one up

Tallguy29 (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Tallguy29
Neutral

That’s quite the collection to choose from, lol. Like mentioned above, don’t let the forums scare you away, I’m sure there are forums for the other cars that have lots problems too, just at a glance, but we usually don’t post when things go right, lol.
I have coveted owning a cooper for years, so when I finally got the chance, I jumped and am happy that I did. I’m not tall, but they are shockingly roomy inside. You will have the most fun with a Mini, but other concerns are important too, I suppose, lol.
Good luck, and let us know if you pick one up
It is an interesting collection I do admit Lol. I have to consider my fit and comfort when I purchase a car, and those ones seem to provide the best at the price I am looking at. That being said... I love being an enthusiast and the Mini is really the way to go to be part of an enthusiast community.

I am a little scared from seeing the small things going wrong in these cars. I am used to not seeing much in the way of issues with my cars until well into the 100,000 mile range. It is true, we don't often talk about what goes right with our cars (or anything for that matter). When things go wrong we are much more likely to speak up.

I will update the thread if I decide to pick one up. Thanks again for the help!