General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Suspension Aligment - what do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 AM
BTRMayfair
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY Suspension Aligment - what do you use?

Have multiple minis - 2 x R53s and a R56.... and one maint issue ive faced is that local shops will not touch doing an alignment. Im a DIY type so Ive reached point where think im going to order new tools to do it myself.

i understand that really only adjustment on newer cars is front toe in/out and that camber caster are mostly locked in factory suspension... BUT ive had subframes out of one of R52s and changed basically all suspension parts recently (ball joints control arm bushings tie rods struts ... flatten mushroomed strut towers etc). I want to measure where everything is sitting to see if aftermarket camber caster adjust parrs might be worth it or if everything sitting fine now.

What DIY alignment setups or off shelf kits have members here used on their minis (or other cars).

Old 10-09-2018, 12:55 PM
WheelNut
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have one of these angle gauges at home that I use for all kinds of things in the shop. The accuracy is good- it reads the same as my analog angle finder, but it is much easier to read. Use this with a straight edge to check camber.
Amazon Amazon

I've seen some string based methods for checking toe, but I have never done it myself. I remember reading an extensive guide on a Subaru forum years ago, so it might be helpful to check nasioc.com or maybe some Miata forums as they would almost certainly have some guides for how to DIY align your car.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:15 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
String method when I want to check individual
rear toe, otherwise tape measure to the tread
for toe and this https://m.lowes.com/pd/Swanson-Tool-...iABEgIpqfD_BwE
and a small steel rule for camber.
i also have something like this
https://www.jegs.com/i/Specialty-Pro...CABEgImAPD_BwE
for toe but don’t use it much
because the other methods are quicker and
just as accurate.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:38 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Strings and a camber gauge like this it can be done.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...ber-gauge.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
No shop seems to want to do ANYTHING but what the "book" says to do either. No extra camber, no, less toe-in.
I bought a "toe gauge" and "caster-camber" gauge years ago when I asked a shop to put 1 degree of negative and .06 toe-in into my 66 Chevy II. "I can't" the guy said. "why" I asked. "It's not that way in the manual". We talked. I got the impression that he would do what I asked because he was an old car guy too.
As soon as I drove it out of the parking lot, I knew I'd wasted my money.

I bought the tools and learned to do it myself.
On one hand, the caster-camber and toe-in are easy to adjust. Should be in You-Tube videos.
On the other, I've never done a four wheel adjust car. Though I did buy a pair of links to bring my rear wheels a bit more straight up and down, but again, that's just camber.
Per a single axle, not hard at all. If you don't like it, you do it again..!
Front to rear axle...I'll be learning that along with you..!

Mike