General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inspection hammer

Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
inspection hammer

I watch a lot of Japanese Railway programs (like the ones on NHK World) as well as Japanese crafts and technologies. Japanese trains has the highest accident free records of all nations on the planet. One tool that the skilled mechanics use a lot for inspection is the lowly brass hammer. They have hammers of different design for just about everything. I am in the process of finding a true Japanese brass hammer like the ones used by the trains and railway engineers. A brass inspection hammer is indefensible for finding loose fasteners.

Oh, there is an excellent video on NHK recently about Toto's washlet development and evolution. It is on a series called J-Tech. And yes, they use a hammer to inspect the hi-tech porcelain toilet base that takes 48 hours to make.

Here it is - the video shelf live is just about over so better watch it right away.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/jtech/2031029/

Old 12-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
There was a time when a Plumber need know only three things; 1.) The hot water is on the left side (perhaps right if you are Canadian), 2.) Pay Day is on Friday and 3.) Sh_t does not flow up hill.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:27 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I watch a lot of Japanese Railway programs (like the ones on NHK World) as well as Japanese crafts and technologies. Japanese trains has the highest accident free records of all nations on the planet. One tool that the skilled mechanics use a lot for inspection is the lowly brass hammer. They have hammers of different design for just about everything. I am in the process of finding a true Japanese brass hammer like the ones used by the trains and railway engineers. A brass inspection hammer is indefensible for finding loose fasteners.

Oh, there is an excellent video on NHK recently about Toto's washlet development and evolution. It is on a series called J-Tech. And yes, they use a hammer to inspect the hi-tech porcelain toilet base that takes 48 hours to make.

Here it is - the video shelf live is just about over so better watch it right away.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/jtech/2031029/

Your local model railroad / railway shop will have a small, high quality hammer. It has interchangeable tips to the head, including brass, rubber, domed & tapered. I think it will do what you want. Not expensive.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:33 AM
jc130chief
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why is this on here???????

The following users liked this post:
Minibeagle (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 04:52 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Well not MINI specific in nature but the hammer relative to loose fasteners is part of maintaining a MINI. Could question whether to consider this "Off Topic" but will move it to General Mini Talk to see what others chime in with.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:54 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
And as some consider those of us that drive MINIs to be somewhat different as the car is just "cute", the video goes to show that those that own a MINI have nothing on a person that has a beeeday in the bathroom.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:11 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by jc130chief
Why is this on here???????
Because using hammer to look for loose fastener is one lost art, and very much alive and well in countries that craftsmen pride themselves. I have no idea why this thread was moved. The Toto video is extremely interesting for some that never take for granted the design, evolution, dogged pursuit of engineering and atheistic excellence.

This thread was originally in General Mini Talk.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:19 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by r53coop
Well not MINI specific in nature but the hammer relative to loose fasteners is part of maintaining a MINI. Could question whether to consider this "Off Topic" but will move it to General Mini Talk to see what others chime in with.
Sorry that I didn't see you post just until now. I appreciate the thoughtfulness. Still I feel that relegating it to off topic is a downgrade and heavy-handed as few bother to read there. I like to keep an open mind, and anything of design, engineering, science, craft, and workmanship are all interesting to me. And yes, I have a Toto but I didn't know all the subtle designs and history until this 45 minutes video.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 12-05-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:12 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
And yes, I have a Toto but I didn't know all the subtle designs and history until this 45 minutes video.
I have a Brondell, and I never realized how much tech they cram in those things.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:39 PM
pnwR53S
brass hammer

Originally Posted by MVPeters
Your local model railroad / railway shop will have a small, high quality hammer. It has interchangeable tips to the head, including brass, rubber, domed & tapered. I think it will do what you want. Not expensive.
I went onto Amazon to so a brief search. There are about 10 selections including some used by model and jewelry making. The weight of the inspection hammer needs to be size for the intended application. The bigger the fastener and structure, the heavier the hammer would be required. For most of the fasteners on the Mini, I reckon 6 to 8 oz.

this is one of the nicer one but only 4 oz

Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM
pnwR53S
this must be one you mean

Old 12-05-2017, 05:54 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I have a Brondell, and I never realized how much tech they cram in those things.

Ever since I visited Japan, I wanted one.

I have a Neorest - it has a wallmount control

Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
this must be one you mean
Very similar - actually this one: https://www.qualityhobbyshop.com/hob...cel-50500.html

I think the 4oz one you showed would be fine for MINI use.

Mike

Old 12-06-2017, 04:42 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Sorry that I didn't see you post just until now. I appreciate the thoughtfulness. Still I feel that relegating it to off topic is a downgrade and heavy-handed as few bother to read there. I like to keep an open mind, and anything of design, engineering, science, craft, and workmanship are all interesting to me. And yes, I have a Toto but I didn't know all the subtle designs and history until this 45 minutes video.
Thread started out in the R50/53 area and was moved to the General Mini Talk section. I was thinking that if I moved it to the Off-Topic area it would not get too much action. This is a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" issue as toilets don't have too much to do with MINIs other then the people that drive MINIs do use toilets. The hammer issue relative to fastener tightening is very interesting.

While on the Off-Topic area, there has been discussions taking place on opening up the area. The Corvette Forum, also an IB product, has a pretty lively OT area. A person wants to rant and rave (why let Facebook have all the fun) they can go to the OT area. Want to stick to only MINIs, that's OK we will keep the ranting and raving out of the other sections/subforums.

Search this Thread