General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair or Discard 2006 Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:18 PM
streetgj7
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repair or Discard 2006 Mini?

Need some advice. I have a 2006 Base convertible. Other than the engine, it is in very good condition. 85,000 miles. About 2 years ago the engine light came on and the mechanic (not Mini) diagnosed burnt valves. Had the repairs done for $4K. Recently light came back on so took it back to the mechanic. Burnt valves again. So I took it to Mini dealer who said they would diagnose the problem for $600. Knowing that the valves are burnt, I would expect Mini dealer to charge another $4k for repair. So I did not have them do the diagnosis until I could decide if I wanted to invest more money in the car. I have tried to determine what is causing the problem and the only clue I could get from the dealer was that maybe the timing chain is not opening the valves correctly and may need to be replaced.

I like the car and would like to keep it but do not want to continue to pour money into an endless pit. I am concerned that other problems are going to surface given the age of the car. So I am at a crossroads of repairing at great expense or discarding it.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Greg

Old 05-03-2017, 01:37 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Sorry you're having such problems with your Mini.
You've already put in $4000 for getting your valves done, and you've still not determined what caused the problem in the first place. If a non-Mini mechanic charged you $4K. imagine what a Mini shop would charge. An older Mini off warranty can be a money pit if you are not skilled with a wrench. Basic maintenance alone costs a fortune at a Mini shop. It's not worth putting in another $4K+ into it. If it were me, I would look into putting that type of money to a car that's not as costly to repair if I could not do the work myself. Hope that helps.. :(

Old 05-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
If the CEL is on, take it to and autoparts store, Autozone is one that I know have scanners, and have them read the code. Once you know the code, do some research and find out what the code means.

A burnt valve is usually caused by the valve not seating/sealing. Below is a link to an article on codes and what can cause them. A burnt valve is included.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/common_trouble_codes.htm

Old 05-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
If you took it to a mechanic who diagnosed and repaired burned valves the first time, and the same problem showed up again, I would certainly take it to a DIFFERENT mechanic the second time the problem surfaced.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Thumper is right, don't ever go back to the mechanic who did the head the first time.

Find an independent MINI mechanic, someone who is familiar with MINIs.
You don't have your location in your name tag, I'm sure someone here can recommend an experienced independent MINI tech, if you include your location.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:07 PM
elvis cole
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep...get a 2nd and even a 3rd opinion.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 AM
streetgj7
1st Gear
Mini mechanic

I would like to find a qualified mechanic familiar with mini. I live in Alexandria VA.

Thanks
Greg

Old 05-04-2017, 08:09 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Here is a list of independent MINI repair shops near Alexandria VA.

http://www.minirepairshops.com/near/alexandria-va/

I have not heard anything, good or bad, about these shops.

Also, you are not far from,

Helix Motorsports

4648 Umbria Street

Philadelphia, PA 19127

I have seen nothing but good things said about Helix.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I agree, get a second opinion. I think it would be worth repairing, you don't have that many miles on the car. I did a whole engine rebuild last year for $4,000, find someone knowledgeable.

Good luck,

Nik

Old 05-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Wanderlustsrt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DneprDave

Helix Motorsports

4648 Umbria Street

Philadelphia, PA 19127

FYI the guys at helix are very ethical and do nothing but mini (well and Porsche I think). I recently had some work done (walnut blasting there) and they helped with some other minor repairs for just the cost of parts. They are very good for an independent shop and they made no effort to try and rip me off which is an A+ in my book. For something this big you may have to leave the car there for a while.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:26 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Helix are great & honest folks. If you use them it will be fixed correctly.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Pure87
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave

Helix Motorsports

4648 Umbria Street

Philadelphia, PA 19127

I highly recommend Scandinavian Imports. They've always done me and my car right and not only are they very knowledgeable, but they fully explain issues and how necessary they are and always try to go for the simplest (and most economical) repairs. With them being located in Rockville, it may be a hike from Alexandria but it would be worth it.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
OK, I am going to answer the question you asked and leave it at that!
You have owned your 06 Mini a long time, you have a certain bond with it. You like it, but it is hurting your wallet. It is getting long in the tooth. You are pondering, sending it down the road.

In trying to justify keeping it, the fear of having recurrent investment in an old car, does not appeal to you.
You will not get much out of a broken car, so fixing it will cost you money.
Buying a new, or newer one makes sense, as it is worth more (also costs more). If you have the money, buying a newer car makes sense.
Lots to weigh, when passing on a broken car. The engine will cost money, the top may stop working at any time, which will cost money and the longer you hold on to it, the more money it will extract from your wallet.
Let us know what you decide.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 AM
streetgj7
1st Gear
Decision in progress

Thanks Wayne. You have captured my situation. I took it to Mini but they wanted $600 to diagnose the problem. So I passed on that. I am now conferring with a couple of shops on the list of mini repair shops. I will let you know how it develops.
Greg

Old 05-11-2017, 07:48 PM
ItsmeWayne
Thankfully, I can work on my own Minis, but I can easily understand where you are coming from. I hope you can find an honest, good, affordable indie shop, to help you with your car issues/fears. If it is running well, you can sell it for decent money, that you can upgrade to a newer model! Best of luck in your endeavors.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:43 AM
streetgj7
1st Gear
I went to several of the listed Mini repair shops. I was impressed by BMR in Lorton VA. They did a thorough job of diagnosis, prepared a reasonable estimate ($2900) and performed the valve job quickly. They determined that the valves that had been replaced were low quality; not Mini parts. They also found the ignition coil to be defective that no one else had found. The engine is purring like a kitten. The only advice they could provide is to use high quality fuel. Minis are temperamental on fuel? So I am back on the road and happy to have found a good shop to keep my buggy running.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 AM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by streetgj7
I went to several of the listed Mini repair shops. I was impressed by BMR in Lorton VA. They did a thorough job of diagnosis, prepared a reasonable estimate ($2900) and performed the valve job quickly. They determined that the valves that had been replaced were low quality; not Mini parts. They also found the ignition coil to be defective that no one else had found. The engine is purring like a kitten. The only advice they could provide is to use high quality fuel. Minis are temperamental on fuel? So I am back on the road and happy to have found a good shop to keep my buggy running.
That is great news and I am so happy you found a good shop to help you keep your Mini happy and healthy!