General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My radio is possessed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:25 AM
ori
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My radio is possessed

Hey everybody.
I have a 2012 Mini Clubman S with Nav/Sat.

Everything was fine with my radio until my dealer did the two-year maintenance on it June/2014. I'm not sure what they did, but when I got my car back, my radio was possessed.

Scenario A
I drive, listening to satellite radio. I stop, park, go to the store, return, turn on the car, and it's playing a random FM radio station.
Not a preset. Random channel.
As I drive, the station continues to play, but the highlighted station shifts around - randomly. Usually not more than 2-3 stations above and below the one playing.

Scenario B
I drive, listening to satellite station 27. It shows station 27 on the screen. I stop, park, go to the store, return, turn on the car, and it loads up the top of the satellite list.
It actually continues to play station 27, but shows me the top - stations 01, 02, 03, etc. I have to scroll all the way down to 27 to see the playing station.

there are other scenarios, but you get the picture.

The dealer took a look and although they could reproduce the issue, they could not resolve it. I believe (hope) they changed the battery, flashed the radio, ran diagnostics.

I thought perhaps it was occurring because i park indoors at work and the signal is poor. Nope. Happens at home in my driveway.

I hate to say it, but this problem as well as the way it is un-resolve-able leads me away from another Mini purchase in the future.

Anyone else having this problem or have an idea on what to do?
At this point, I'm dealing with it. Not a big deal. Just annoying... and disappointing.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like the dealer caused it--you need to get them to fix it.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:18 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Yup, I'd keep after the dealer to fix it.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ori
Hey everybody.
I have a 2012 Mini Clubman S with Nav/Sat.

Everything was fine with my radio until my dealer did the two-year maintenance on it June/2014. I'm not sure what they did, but when I got my car back, my radio was possessed.

Scenario A
I drive, listening to satellite radio. I stop, park, go to the store, return, turn on the car, and it's playing a random FM radio station.
Not a preset. Random channel.
As I drive, the station continues to play, but the highlighted station shifts around - randomly. Usually not more than 2-3 stations above and below the one playing.

Scenario B
I drive, listening to satellite station 27. It shows station 27 on the screen. I stop, park, go to the store, return, turn on the car, and it loads up the top of the satellite list.
It actually continues to play station 27, but shows me the top - stations 01, 02, 03, etc. I have to scroll all the way down to 27 to see the playing station.

there are other scenarios, but you get the picture.

The dealer took a look and although they could reproduce the issue, they could not resolve it. I believe (hope) they changed the battery, flashed the radio, ran diagnostics.

I thought perhaps it was occurring because i park indoors at work and the signal is poor. Nope. Happens at home in my driveway.

I hate to say it, but this problem as well as the way it is un-resolve-able leads me away from another Mini purchase in the future.

Anyone else having this problem or have an idea on what to do?
At this point, I'm dealing with it. Not a big deal. Just annoying... and disappointing.
I'm pretty sure issue B happens to our Countryman with Connect[no NAV] as well every once in awhile.
we've started to document the weird Radio/Connect issues so we can keep track of them.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you still under warranty? If so, ask them to replace the "defective" radio.