General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which MINI? Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which MINI? Which would you choose?

I'm getting really close to realizing my dream of my first MINI. I've got to decide between the following MCS hardtop automatics:

1. New 2013 at the MINI dealer - concern it's been sitting on the lot for a year but I may get a decent deal.

2. Used 2013 at non-MINI dealer with 10,000 miles that was repossessed. I spoke with the MINI dealer that did the service and no issues other than one check engine light that was a computer malfunction. This car has an extended service warranty per the MINI dealer as a bonus.

3. Used 2012 at non-MINI dealer with 27,000 miles with 1 owner but no service records available. This car is $5,000 less than the others.

All are comparable as far as color and options. #2 is in-state, the other two are 5 hours away. I kind of like #2 was already used for 9,000 miles with no early issues v. brand new sort of unknown, although both would be the same price essentially. I'm working with the dealers for pricing right now. I'd do a PPI on the used ones, not the new one.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by Speedster; 08-07-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would buy number 1. The warranty is a must with these cars.

The other cars you have no idea of how they were driven or taken care of.

The repo heck no!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:29 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Number one.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ashchuckton

The repo heck no!

Even with only 9,000+ miles and the MINI dealer saying it's still under warranty with a service warranty and no previous repairs she could find? She checked with MINI records and didn't see any other repair claims put in.

Any concerns with the new car sitting around undriven for a year? It's got under 10 miles. I assume they at least start these things up periodically.

Thanks for the replies! This is a big decision for me and appreciate the input experienced MINI lovers have!

Last edited by Speedster; 08-07-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the used #2 is priced near the same as the new #1, it's a no brainer, go with the new full warranty #1.
However if they were to give a decent discount (you can check the Kelly blue book prices) on #2 because it is a used car and if the extended warranty is extending your warranty well beyond that of the new #1 MINI, then it may be worth a second look.
But as others have said, it's hard to choose a used car with over 9K miles on it over a new one that has never been driven.
That being said, my wife bought her MINI used off a MINI dealership with less than 3K miles on it and made the dealership throw in a CPO with the purchase which extended the warranty two more years past the factory warranty. She's been pretty happy with it.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
I've always bought used (7 cars and counting) BUT they were mostly Toyota cars. It's gone very well 6 times. The bad one was a Mercury Sable...what a horrible, horrible car. Long story on how that mess happened.

MINI isn't Toyota so I get that used might be more of a gamble, but I've read posts about new cars off the lot being problematic so I kind of feel it can be a roll of the dice with those as well as the used.

If I only had that crystal ball!

I'm waiting on the offers from the dealers and I'll keep you posted. Maybe that will help shift one way or the other, along with your valuable input.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ashchuckton

The repo heck no!
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Number one.
^ +1

I concur with RobMuntean & ashchuckton...

Assuming all things being equal, namely that you are happy with the colour and options of #1 v. others, I would say that #1 is your MINI.

Full warranty and only 10 miles on the odo... Sweet!

As for any worries concerning it sitting on the lot for an extended period, if the dealer is conscientious then you know it has been started and cared for.

Well, whichever one you choose, welcome to the world of MINI and BTW, when you get that MINI you may wish to join The League of Extraordinary MINIacs [see thread on this fourum] and Save the Wave!

Also don't forget to post-up some pics of your new baby, cause we just love pics... yes we do!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
#2 (used 2013) is coming in lower than #1 by about $2500 now with the remainder of the standard warranty plus the extended service warranty.

#3 (used 2012) dropped the price another $750.

Now there's a #4 in the mix with another new 2013 that's about 3 hours away and very close in price to #1.

Luckily all the salespeople have been very nice and are working with me.

Stay tuned!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedster
#2 (used 2013) is coming in lower than #1 by about $2500 now with the remainder of the standard warranty plus the extended service warranty.

#3 (used 2012) dropped the price another $750.

Now there's a #4 in the mix with another new 2013 that's about 3 hours away and very close in price to #1.

Luckily all the salespeople have been very nice and are working with me.

Stay tuned!
Why are you stuck on old R56 cars?
Their values took a nose dive once 3rd gen F56's came out, and they have a host of problems around Peugeot N18 engines. There is really no upside to pursuing them unless you can't afford an F56. And if that's the case, go look at 2011 model year cars that will be even cheaper!

a
'08 R56 - thoroughly enjoy it as a "fun 3rd car", but would never recommend it to anyone who needs reliable transportation.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
Why are you stuck on old R56 cars?
Their values took a nose dive once 3rd gen F56's came out, and they have a host of problems around Peugeot N18 engines. There is really no upside to pursuing them unless you can't afford an F56. And if that's the case, go look at 2011 model year cars that will be even cheaper!

a
'08 R56 - thoroughly enjoy it as a "fun 3rd car", but would never recommend it to anyone who needs reliable transportation.

There are lots of reasons why I'm "stuck" on R56 cars. I'm not a fan of the new styling of the F56. I'd also rather have it proven out a couple more years as far as what issues it may have.

I don't like buying new because I can't personally justify the depreciation a car has as soon as you drive it off the lot. I'd rather spend that money on a vacation! I'm only considering these new 2013 models because they may be a decent value and the advice on getting the longest warranty is solid.

I haven't found any 2011s I like. I considered other model years and read a bunch about them and talked to MINI owners so here I am with this decision after taking all that in. While MINI has stolen my heart, I'm still making the decision with my head based on what I value.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd personally go for a new one. You don't know what kind of service the used ones had. Unless you can see #2 MINI did there oil change early around 5-7k, then go for it. If it was around 9 or whenever it was traded in, I'd be apprehensive. Yes the N18 is better than the N14 in terms of carbon and oil usage. But I'd hate to get a used one, have them do the oil change late, then later when you have 65k on it you start to see oil usage.

Do youself a favor and get the new one. I'm a Service advisor at a Toyota dealer who owns a MINI. Take it from me, this is not one of your used Toyotas (which are awesomely reliable, but horribly boring cars BTW) if someone before you screwed something up once, you'll be the one that's paying for repairs later.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
A lot of good thoughts on this... The most important thing is which one will make you happiest. Different reasons for different people. Me? Well I'ed get in them and find they were missing a pedal and ask for a huge discount...

Best of luck deciding, bottom line is ... In the end... It's a MINI.

Motor on!

Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
What exactly is the deal being offered on #1? This is a critical factor. What is the price, MSRP price, and options on the car?

Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 PM
otbiker
2nd Gear
I like #2, but verify the extended warranty is bumper to bumper and not just power train. Also, most extended warranties involve a bit of deductible per occurrence.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2. Used 2013 ... no issues other than one check engine light that was a computer malfunction...
Is the light still on? If so, that's an instant "No way" from me. "Just a computer malfunction" is something that I feel mechanics claim a whole lot more often than is actually the case! Especially when they're trying to sell something.

I'd want to be sure that the CEL really was some transient issue and that issue was gone. It would probably be worth having an independent shop look at it if you are seriously considering buying it. Well worth the ~$100 if you ask me.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:03 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by otbiker
I like #2, but verify the extended warranty is bumper to bumper and not just power train. Also, most extended warranties involve a bit of deductible per occurrence.

I believe the extended warranty was for a "service" warranty which may just be an maintenance warranty.
Certainly agree with you that any used, however so slight, MINI should include a CPO bumper to bumper warranty with it.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Speedster
1st Gear
#2 is out of the running. Took a look at it and there were some red flags.

Luckily I have time to be selective since I have a great car now I'm keeping either way. I can be patient if I have to be.

There are quite a few new 2013 MINIs out there and they have taken probably $3000 to 4000 off MSRP, but add those dealer fees. I know it's normally hard to get a new MINI much under MSRP, but the clock is ticking on the 2013s sitting in inventory. I have time and don't mind holding onto my money until MY MINI presents itself.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Patience saves money

Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
If any of them were a fJCW or had a JCW Tuning Kit, that would make it easy to choose. Good luck on what you choose.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Speedster
1st Gear
I continue to "Dream of MINI"

Thank you for all the input and comments. I feel like I am not alone in my quest!

Please light some candles and say some prayers to help me find my dream MINI. It's becoming the Holy Grail.

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Old 08-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Speedster
1st Gear
We ended up with....

DRUM ROLL

#1 - the new MINI

Your input helped so much. Thank you! Pictures will be coming soon!

Old 08-10-2014, 06:58 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Enjoy your new MINI.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Congrats on the New MINI #1 . Post up some pics when you get it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Yaaaaaaaay!

Old 08-11-2014, 02:08 PM
13R56S
2nd Gear
We ended up with....

DRUM ROLL

#1 - the new MINI

Your input helped so much. Thank you! Pictures will be coming soon!
Uff thank God Speedster!, great choice , enjoy the ride & have lots of FUN...and please the pics ASAP

Quick Reply: Which MINI? Which would you choose?