General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The saga continues. :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The saga continues. :(

I'm getting ready to do my own oil change this weekend @5k intervals because Florida is sooooooo hot. I also pump 70 miles a day (round-trip) to/from work 5 days a week, which doesn't count weekend play time with the wife. I'm going with AMSOIL 5W-40 European blend.

So here's my dilemma.

Original MINI oil filter vs MANN? I can't help but notice the difference physical characteristics of the two. MINI has what appears to be plastic ends, where the MANN does not. The filtration elements also seem different.

And so, I'm confused yet again as I have read horror stories of what can happen when using the wrong filter.

Any thoughts and/or advice is humbly welcomed.

Sent from my iPad Air using NAMotoring

Attached Thumbnails The saga continues.  :(-image-2827933809.jpg   The saga continues.  :(-image-2637937526.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both are good filters, but the mann doesn't include a crush washer. I personally use oem.

5k may be a little early on the oil change, but it's definitely your time/money/car.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:05 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Both are quality filters...
So no horror story to come from using either one....
Mann makes good products (an OEM maker for many BMW/mini filters), so they do know there cars. Not all products that do the same thing look the same.... Pick!!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,771 Posts
Yep the Mann does not have the crush washer. We linked it in the thread to the crush washer needed. Both a good filters.

Here is the filter thread for the Gen 2 R56+ engines. Turbo and Non turbo.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...of-choice.html

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
So I just received my OEM filter from MINI Mania (MANN is also coming on a separate order). Opened the box and here's how it looks.

Is it suppose to have two of the elements crushed or recessed like this??

Attached Thumbnails The saga continues.  :(-image-1599480863.jpg   The saga continues.  :(-image-930126069.jpg   The saga continues.  :(-image-3566977311.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You can see in the pic above the meeting of the according style filter material factory R56+ MINI filter . Its a little on the left, couple pleats in. There will be a little indentation and and offset pleat. I have seen some with a little indentations , and some that are more noticeable.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-15-2014, 12:58 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
I'm getting ready to do my own oil change this weekend @5k intervals because Florida is sooooooo hot. I also pump 70 miles a day (round-trip) to/from work 5 days a week, which doesn't count weekend play time with the wife. I'm going with AMSOIL 5W-40 European blend.
Engine oil temps routinely run way north of 200F, so any variance in ambient temps is immaterial.
I ran Blackstone Labs analysis on my oil after 5.5K mile change of Mobile 1 0W-40 oil, and it was still good, with minor degradation in the amount of detergents. One cycle I missed the oil change and went for 12K miles. Oil was well past it's prime. The viscosity had dropped significantly, the anti-wear supplements were nearly gone.

Based on the above data points, I'm not running 7.5K mile oil change intervals. YMMV.

Originally Posted by DavidOrtiz
Original MINI oil filter vs MANN? I can't help but notice the difference physical characteristics of the two. MINI has what appears to be plastic ends, where the MANN does not. The filtration elements also seem different.

And so, I'm confused yet again as I have read horror stories of what can happen when using the wrong filter.
As others stated, both Mann and OEM (Pureflux, IIRC) are quality oil filters.

Mann is OEM for most BMW oil, air, and cabin filters (so is Mahle). Made in Germany. I've used them for 20+ years on various cars without any regrets.
OEM oil filter is made in France by Pureflux, an Italian multinational. Evidently, manufactured to BMW/MINI standards. If it wasn't sold at a MINI dealership, I would not have touched a Pureflux branded product with a 10-foot pole. But these OEM filters look solid, and everyone has had good luck with them.

Just stay way from auto-parts junk (Fram, Wix, etc), and you will be fine with either Mann or OEM.

More on auto-parts oil filters here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l-filters.html

a

Old 07-15-2014, 03:39 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
Engine oil temps routinely run way north of 200F, so any variance in ambient temps is immaterial. I ran Blackstone Labs analysis on my oil after 5.5K mile change of Mobile 1 0W-40 oil, and it was still good, with minor degradation in the amount of detergents. One cycle I missed the oil change and went for 12K miles. Oil was well past it's prime. The viscosity had dropped significantly, the anti-wear supplements were nearly gone. Based on the above data points, I'm not running 7.5K mile oil change intervals. YMMV. As others stated, both Mann and OEM (Pureflux, IIRC) are quality oil filters. Mann is OEM for most BMW oil, air, and cabin filters (so is Mahle). Made in Germany. I've used them for 20+ years on various cars without any regrets. OEM oil filter is made in France by Pureflux, an Italian multinational. Evidently, manufactured to BMW/MINI standards. If it wasn't sold at a MINI dealership, I would not have touched a Pureflux branded product with a 10-foot pole. But these OEM filters look solid, and everyone has had good luck with them. Just stay way from auto-parts junk (Fram, Wix, etc), and you will be fine with either Mann or OEM. More on auto-parts oil filters here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l-filters.html a
Thanks everyone!!

@Afadeev: Does it make a difference the MINI OEM has the plastic ends where the MANN does not? That would lead the inexperienced user like myself into believing the MINI it better.

I followed your filter link and it was most informative. That being said, I checked K&N, and they too seem to have the plastic ends.

Thoughts anyone?

Attached Thumbnails The saga continues.  :(-image-1375057680.jpg  

Last edited by DavidOrtiz; 07-15-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Oem or Mann. I have used both with no problems. I went to the auto parts store & grabbed a bunch of crush washers for something like 10 cents each. No need to buy the oem the Mann & a crush washer will do. Make sure to change the crush washer.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM
DavidOrtiz
4th Gear
Yay!!!!! My order arrived today.

Attached Thumbnails The saga continues.  :(-image-530254091.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:22 AM
Karl Childers Lovechild
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by afadeev
Engine oil temps routinely run way north of 200F, so any variance in ambient temps is immaterial.
I ran Blackstone Labs analysis on my oil after 5.5K mile change of Mobile 1 0W-40 oil, and it was still good, with minor degradation in the amount of detergents. One cycle I missed the oil change and went for 12K miles. Oil was well past it's prime. The viscosity had dropped significantly, the anti-wear supplements were nearly gone.

Based on the above data points, I'm not running 7.5K mile oil change intervals. YMMV.

As others stated, both Mann and OEM (Pureflux, IIRC) are quality oil filters.

Mann is OEM for most BMW oil, air, and cabin filters (so is Mahle). Made in Germany. I've used them for 20+ years on various cars without any regrets.
OEM oil filter is made in France by Pureflux, an Italian multinational. Evidently, manufactured to BMW/MINI standards. If it wasn't sold at a MINI dealership, I would not have touched a Pureflux branded product with a 10-foot pole. But these OEM filters look solid, and everyone has had good luck with them.

Just stay way from auto-parts junk (Fram, Wix, etc), and you will be fine with either Mann or OEM.

More on auto-parts oil filters here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l-filters.html

a
Wix junk? Not by a long shot.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a very good write up Here about filters. They cut all sorts of aftermarket filters and show the differences. Wix actually wasn't too bad.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One the subject of crush washer, any idea what size crush washer one should look for if using a MANN filter?

Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
We linked the washers with the Mann filters. R56+

Here is the Mann version , it does not come with a crush ring. You will need one per filter kit. Part # 11427622446

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2219540_ES19041_ES2652100_ES2594057_ES2598728/

Thanks

Old 07-18-2014, 11:47 AM
eaglebeagle
4th Gear
i've actually had a "Partsmaster" filter and wallyworld mobil1 euro in mine just past 7k. Car is running just fine, i plan to change it by month's end am curious to how it looks, as well as i'll send off a sample to blackstone. If anyone's interested in the results , let me know. Probably longest i've ever run oil in it so far . ( yes i keep an eye on it and top off as needed)

Last edited by eaglebeagle; 07-18-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: words r hard