General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So.. I was part of a Focus Group (R56 vs F56)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
If it is BMW MINI it shouldn't be all that surprising they do a follow-up study. The sales have been down quite a bit. They would probably want to know if it is because people were waiting on the new model or if they are indeed reluctant to buy into the new MINI.
The OP stated he thought it was MB. I thought it might have been tesla, since they had proposed a powertrain to BMW for a MINI EV. But since they didn't ask any EV questions, it probably wasn't tesla.

It's too late for BMW to do a focus group. They have other options.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
If it is BMW MINI it shouldn't be all that surprising they do a follow-up study. The sales have been down quite a bit. They would probably want to know if it is because people were waiting on the new model or if they are indeed reluctant to buy into the new MINI.
Like I had said. Initially we thought it was Mini (or at least I did).. But later found it was might have been MB.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Yeah, I know all that . . . I'm not the one bringing back the theories. I'm just making conversation with those theories . . . also it doesn't seem that there is certainty in all this so...

That said it is not necessarily too late for BMW MINI to conduct focus groups.
Focus groups aren't just made to find out what you want to do. They can be made for all kinds of purpose. Really there isn't anything special about focus groups. It's just a formalized face to face form of survey but ideally based with more open ended questions . . . though too often they aren't all that good and too similar to a survey.

Unfortunately most brands tend to shy away big time from questioning decision they've made. Once the product is done and out it's as if you can't question anything. That is very common...

Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
I wonder who owns Sunbeam?

Old 07-18-2014, 07:03 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed
Sunbeam was part of the Roots group and was owned by Chrysler, so Fiat probably owns the Sunbeam name now.

Dave

Old 07-18-2014, 12:01 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the F56 Section...

As one enthusiastic owner of an F56, I'm completely happy, and there are others. First time MINI owners, like me, and repeat customers who are itching to get their new MINIs delivered, are ecstatic about this new generation.

Check out the passionate new owners who can't stop smiling while behind the wheel:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...talk-2014-428/

I am only speaking for myself: I came to Mini after an Audi TT. I wanted something smaller, more tossable, a bit "wilder." All I can say is that I'm thoroughly happy with the looks, size, and excitement behind the wheel. Additionally, the MINI "attitude" (positivity, experience, etc) is a welcome change from my Audi experience. It wasn't bad, it was just different. MINI is more me, and I think the F56, ticks all my requiremetns: looks, handling and technology. Especially the technology.

The important thing is that the F56 may usher in more new to MINI owners. If MINI keeps going in this direction, I think my wife's next car will be a MINI as well.

I'm happy to be a part of the MINI club.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:24 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed
You hadn't mentioned Sunbeam before. Is that the name of the firm that conducted the focus group?

Companies often outsource focus groups to independent businesses that specialize in providing the service. This may be done intentionally to give greater separation from those directly involved with the product (which may bias the reactions). So, Sunbeam is probably an independent company that was paid to conduct a focus group, and they were probably instructed not to reveal who they are under contract to.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting read. I love participating in focus groups and find them very fascinating.

I do wonder, though, what the motive was here. I am not personally thinking it had anything to do with MINI, however the lack of including other vehicles (like a Fiat 500) is interesting and makes me question that. When you mentioned Mercedes, I do suspect it may be them as they have just released the new generation Smart cars (this week) which includes a four door version that shares an identical wheelbase as the MINI Cooper but with a shorter overall length.

Still pretty cool to read and thanks for sharing. As a long time MINI Brand fanatic, I can add my $1.98 (since it is more than .02 cents) that as an owner of and R53 and two R52s, I have NEVER warmed up to or wanted to own and R56/R57 model. I did come close a couple times and often think about an R59, but I will probably wait for the F57. The interior refinements (although I dislike the gas gauge and tiny tach) and new engines are just too much of an improvement in my opinion and overcome the exterior complaints which I don't really have an issue with at all. The more I have seen the F56 in person, the more I have grown to like it.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for starting this discussion Dan. I find it interesting. I own a new F56 and honestly would have bought something else if there was something.
I went to test drive a Fiat Abarth and the GM salesman was so terrible and did nnot have a car fro me to drive that I left the dealership and ordered the F56s.
Mini's are getting a little common and really just more of the same. Yes new bells and whistles but really the same car....
I would argue that the market is ripe for a new car to compete with MINI. Fiat can't do it because of GM. The new Alfa will be cool but no real network.
Mercedes have the shop front to sell something. I've racked my brain and can't think of what. There were some cool old Austin's but nothing sporty in a 4 door.
Maybe they are going to not do the Hollywood thing (remake the old movie). Maybe they are going to design a new fresh small 4 seater sporty car from scratch. Wow now there is an innovative idea!
I say the market is ready. Hell I'm ready! Bring it on!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
The focus group was conducted by pfc Opinion Research. There were supposed to be addl groups the next day in Jersey and in other areas as well. Anyone else out there attend one?

Old 07-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
You hadn't mentioned Sunbeam before. Is that the name of the firm that conducted the focus group?
*facepalm*

Here, a little light reading for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_%28car_company%29

Of more interest to Mini owners (maybe not to MINI owners?) :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Imp

Of interest to those who like the V8 burble:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_Tiger

Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
*facepalm*
Huh? Out of the blue, the OP asked who owns Sunbeam. I assumed his question was related to his thread topic.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
Huh? Out of the blue, the OP asked who owns Sunbeam. I assumed his question was related to his thread topic.
There's been some discussion of other brands which could be revived. I assumed the implication was Sunbeam could be revived.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:59 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
There's been some discussion of other brands which could be revived. I assumed the implication was Sunbeam could be revived.
Well, yes- that was my thought.. I've been thinking of known UK/ US brands that had some presence back in the 1960s. I was just thinking out loud.

And.. Yes there was supposed to be a second focus group the next day...

Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
The facepalm was because of the question about it being the company that ran the focus group. From context, I believe that it was perfectly obvious that a car company was being talked about.

I was attempting to sarcastically imply that any MINI enthusiast should at least know a little bit about LBCs of the past. (Little British Cars.)