General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:19 AM
<05MINI>
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealership

so the other day I decided to do a oil change on my MINI went to the dealer bought the OEM oil filter picked up some oil from walmart and headed home. after gettin the car up on the jacks and getting under her I realized that the last time the oil was changed(by the dealer) they over tightend the crap out of my oil drain bolt and on one side of the bolt head rounded it just enough so that the wrench would twist and strip the head more, so you can just amagine how mad I was. after calling the dealer thay decided to make good on there mistake by replacing the oil drain bolt and changing my oil for free (with my oil and filter). ok cool so I scheduled a appointment for 2 pm yesterday. I showed up arounf 1:45 and the **** show began. first they come out and asked me if I had bought the oil filter from them. "yes" I replied. they then informed me that the oil filter was not for my car it was for the 07 and newer. thay then said no problem we will just swap it out. ok cool watever they messed up but again made good on there mistake. then they tell us it will be 15 more minutes as they are conducting a complementary car wash. cool I get a clean car. after completion the SA tells us its all done were good to go. now heres were it gets worse. as im getting in the car I notice that my passenger seat was all wet and the floorboards were wet as well. they washed my car with the window down. so I go back in and tell the SA what I found she again apologized and they dried it out. cool another mistake made good on. after leaving I notice that my radio dosent work so I took it back to them this time giving me a rental car keeping my car in the shop. WTF how do you screw up someons car that is in the shop becase you screwed it up. i mean seriously come one. so far all the mistakes the dealer has made thay have made good on so I applaud them for that but seriously. There suposed to call me back today with a update hopfully there mechanis dont brake nothing else. smh. this is why I usally do all my own maintenance and work.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:05 AM
jown.iv
4th Gear
was this thread really necessary?

mistakes happen and your post, in my opinion, is pointless.

if you needed help/info/ideas on anything, thatd be another story.

just saying, this part of the forums is not intended for complaints about your dealership.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Tylerlanger1
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jown.iv

Mistakes happen and your post, in my opinion, is pointless.

If you needed help/info/ideas on anything, thatd be another story.

Just saying, this part of the forums is not intended for complaints about your dealership.
+1

Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The OP was just venting. Nothing wrong with that especially since is was done in a respectable manner.

Maybe posted in the wrong sub forum but oh well.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
<05MINI>
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jown.iv

mistakes happen and your post, in my opinion, is pointless.

if you needed help/info/ideas on anything, thatd be another story.

just saying, this part of the forums is not intended for complaints about your dealership.
was this comment really nessasary. I was just vent like said. but I am glad to give you something to talk about

Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Vent away!!!
Crap happens....
And once it starts...sometimes it becomes a 3 stooges movies....
Hard to think of a crazier list of events...
The recap as I recall..(not in perfect order...parphased for speed)
1) dealer does oil change...rounds plug, over tightens it..., offers to make good, AND THEN SOME...FREE LABOR/SERVICE, great job dealer, kudos for trying to do the right thing!!
2) dealer sells WRONG filter for car...swapped out..luckily at the dealer...would have sucked if in the driveway....
3)Dealer gives car a free carwash....
.....leaves window open....they try to dry out car...radio dies...
4) loaner is given..
Ouch....I would be frustrated too!!
Sounds like the dealer is TRYING and they understand they messed up...they SEEM to be doing the right thing!! In the meantime, you get a newer car to put some miles on at their expense!!
I might not buy a lottery ticket though ( imo a bad deal anyway)....this story shows that some days you just wish you had never gotten out of bed!! Good luck!!

Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
P.S.
One tip...
On a gen1, the BCM...a $$$ item that does many things in located on the passenger side wall, near the door in the passenger foot well....ensure that a note is made about the water issue... So if you have a problem later...the dealer will (hopefully) step up, and fix it.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
jown.iv
4th Gear
ok. you guys are right. im wrong.

good luck with your vehicles and hopefully your dealerships step up their services.

Last edited by jown.iv; 01-04-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 AM
sbninja
3rd Gear
That sucks! Glad they made good - or at least tried to.
Nothing wrong with posting here in "General Mini Talk" The first sticky at the top of the page is "tips in dealing with dealerships" I mean if it doesn't belong here, where does it belong? .

I agree with above post, keep note on the water issue. How did they "dry" it? with towels, or did they air dry it with heater/dryers?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear about the abuse the dealer did to your car. There are mistakes and then there is carelessness. What happened, is carelessness that should never happen from a professional.

Your first instinct was correct. If you want it done right, do it yourself. Most MINI mechanics think the torque spec for the drain bolt is 1 million gorilla ft/lbs. It helps to have a 6 point socket, to help prevent stripping and a breaker bar, or pipe extension that fits over you wrench handle for leverage.

Also. I never let the dealer wash/scratch my car. I ordered my CM, and it had swirls in the clear coat when I picked it up. I corrected it after I brought it home and since, no swirls or marring because I use correct wash and dry methods. Same with my R53, and both have dark paint.

I took my CM for the first year complimentary service. I told them "Do Not Wash". They didn't wash, but they still managed to scratch my bonnet, probably leaning over while installing the wiper blades. How careless can you be? Next time, I'll pick up the complimentary oil, filter & blades and do the work myself.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Dealer Category

Dealer Category would be nice, and it would also be nice to hear the good things about dealers too!

I love the dealer I go to and have not had any issues. Most likely all the events happened as a result of many people, not just one. One in parts, one in the shop, and car wash is its own team.

Sorry for all the trouble. Sounds like a very bad day all around.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:54 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Stuff happens for sure. Glad they made everything well again. Stick with DIY oil changes.

Hope my post does bother anyone. If it does please just ignore.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM
<05MINI>
3rd Gear
Well I got my car back the SA said that when they pulled the car in the shop everything worked and that they could not reproduce the problem. she said it must have reset. I asked how it could just reset as I had turned the car off then back on again a few times before returning to the dealer. she said she didnt know but if it was to happen again bring it back and they would troubleshoot further. I have to say although im not very happy with the people actually working on my car and washing it, the SA was very helpful and did everything she could to make good on the mistakes.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 AM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad it all worked out. Hopefully a few electrical contacts just needed drying out. Once dried, all is good again.

A little carelessness at the dealership. Hope that fix that up. I noticed that at the dealership I take my car to also. As MINI has become established, and staff turn over a bit more, they seem to have become a bit complacent with their attention to detail.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
MINI of Ft.Myers is fantastic. Just sayin..and their stock right now is sweet!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by <05MINI>
so the other day I decided to do a oil change on my MINI went to the dealer bought the OEM oil filter picked up some oil from walmart and headed home. after gettin the car up on the jacks and getting under her I realized that the last time the oil was changed(by the dealer) they over tightend the crap out of my oil drain bolt and on one side of the bolt head rounded it just enough so that the wrench would twist and strip the head more, so you can just amagine how mad I was. after calling the dealer thay decided to make good on there mistake by replacing the oil drain bolt and changing my oil for free (with my oil and filter). ok cool so I scheduled a appointment for 2 pm yesterday. I showed up arounf 1:45 and the **** show began. first they come out and asked me if I had bought the oil filter from them. "yes" I replied. they then informed me that the oil filter was not for my car it was for the 07 and newer. thay then said no problem we will just swap it out. ok cool watever they messed up but again made good on there mistake. then they tell us it will be 15 more minutes as they are conducting a complementary car wash. cool I get a clean car. after completion the SA tells us its all done were good to go. now heres were it gets worse. as im getting in the car I notice that my passenger seat was all wet and the floorboards were wet as well. they washed my car with the window down. so I go back in and tell the SA what I found she again apologized and they dried it out. cool another mistake made good on. after leaving I notice that my radio dosent work so I took it back to them this time giving me a rental car keeping my car in the shop. WTF how do you screw up someons car that is in the shop becase you screwed it up. i mean seriously come one. so far all the mistakes the dealer has made thay have made good on so I applaud them for that but seriously. There suposed to call me back today with a update hopfully there mechanis dont brake nothing else. smh. this is why I usally do all my own maintenance and work.
Find someplace else for your services....

Had oil filter cap broken, windshield washer dip stick broken, JCW front bumper split in half, incorrect trans fluid put into transmission, brand new tire got huge chunk of metal in it from dirty shop floor, grease from bottom of shoes on JCW floor mats, lower steering shaft seals not put back in which seal out rain and road noise, overfilled coolant level caused tanks cap to burst...just to name a few, all done at an inde shop...

GL!