General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a FOCUS ST today

Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Test drove a FOCUS ST today

I bought a 2002-S the first time I saw one. Traded that for a 2007-S when GEN2 came out. Looking at the 2014 I'm just not excited . . .

Took a Ford Focus ST out for a test drive today

250 HP, Recaro seats (that don't cost nearly what MINI charges), a car all reviewers are raving about handling wise . . .

$30,000 buys every option they offer while on a MINI you are pressed to keep an S under that mark . . .

OK ... tell me what I'm missing? Other than "it is a FORD!"

But don't tell me about handling or performance cuz like I said, I've been driving Cooper S for over 10 years AND own a very modified "classic" ... I think I can judge that fairly . . . .

Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM
jibber11
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I bought a 2002-S the first time I saw one. Traded that for a 2007-S when GEN2 came out. Looking at the 2014 I'm just not excited . . .

Took a Ford Focus ST out for a test drive today

250 HP, Recaro seats (that don't cost nearly what MINI charges), a car all reviewers are raving about handling wise . . .

$30,000 buys every option they offer while on a MINI you are pressed to keep an S under that mark . . .

OK ... tell me what I'm missing? Other than "it is a FORD!"

But don't tell me about handling or performance cuz like I said, I've been driving Cooper S for over 10 years AND own a very modified "classic" ... I think I can judge that fairly . . . .

Never driven one
But my thoughts would be

The exterior is just hum, they never grab my eye on the road when I see one, and I see lots of them.

Resale

Build quality, had a ford flex, build was horrible

Resale

And to most, it looks like a focus, unless your 18

Suppose to drive nice though.

If dollar to HP was most of my equation, I'd think about it.

Probably has an awesome stereo, my flex did

Old 10-15-2013, 03:48 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Focus ST is an excellent car, almost unbeatable on a performance per $$$ basis. But if you're interested in a car like this, I'd also look at a GTI which is superb as well and trades a little power for a lot more refinement. Personally, I wouldn't be able to get past the ST's boy-racer looks, both inside and out, as well as Ford's crappy MyFord and MyTouch media systems. The Focus ST lacks polish and sophistication but it goes like stink.

Within a year, the new Mazdaspeed 3 should be out and be a real contender. The new non-Mazdaspeed Mazda's 3's are superb hatches if you're okay with "only" 184-hp. The look very BMW-like to me, especially in the interior. And the Mazdas are likely to have excellent reliability, much better than any US or Euro brand.

I think we're about to have some pretty appealing choices in the category from Hyundai and Kia shortly too.

It's hard to compare the Mini with any of these hatches as the Mini is such a unique drive. If the uniqueness is appeals to you, the the Mini is the way to go, but on a practical basis, any of these other cars is a LOT more car for less money.

- Mark

Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
unless your 18

you're

++++++++++++++

resale? I'm there right now with my 7-S ... I bet I know more reality than you do!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM
6thGear
4th Gear
Ugly outside, ugly inside although performance might be decent (never drove one) but I couldnt live with the outside or inside. If it appeals to you that much, go for it!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't like the internal slave in the clutch... Its what swayed me to the Mini.

I had a chance to buy one one X-plan. (Ford deal..) I was all set to buy, 2nd test drive... then I found out about the crap clutch design... After talking to a ex Ford field engineer... who told me about the SVT Focus design.. which had a high failure rate... and the same design as the ST.. I bailed..

It was a very nice car for the money... Felt good to drive.. inside was a little tight... I felt the Mini was much more open.. (Clubman)..

All and all, ordering a Mini was much better... I got what I *really* wanted.. for about the same price..

Old 10-15-2013, 04:57 PM
bhegg
3rd Gear
Maybe Ford is able to build such a capable car at that price point b/c they have a team and management willing to do it and more financial capital to do so through probably 10x more vehicle sales than Mini and BMW combined.

And the design is definitely boy-racer-ish and lacks a refined look.

Last edited by bhegg; 10-15-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:09 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
non-defeatable traction control? though it did take 2nd at nationals in stock class this year i believe.. can't really say anything bad about it, kinda ugly though

Old 10-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think there is going to be a 3rd gen Mazdaspeed3. So you're only looking at the Focus ST and the GTI outside of the MINI in my opinion.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
^ wouldn't bet on that.

ST looks good in black too!

Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Letigre
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bhegg

And the design is definitely boy-racer-ish and lacks a refined look.
That's my my personal deal killer. I just don't think the look will age well.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
I don't think there is going to be a 3rd gen Mazdaspeed3. So you're only looking at the Focus ST and the GTI outside of the MINI in my opinion.
Nope there is.... awd is on deck. This news just came out today..

Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 PM
bhegg
3rd Gear
I'd probably consider the lighter-weight pocket rocket Fiesta ST over the Focus.

Last edited by bhegg; 10-15-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:27 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Size and weight. I wish the MINI had a competitor in power to weight. The other vehicle options are well over 600 lbs heavier and just won't feel as nimble.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:36 AM
St_G
4th Gear
Looks are subjective, but I LIKE those of the Focus.

Build quality is low? If y'all say so, but then MINI is infamous for squeaks and rattles, so...

High failure rate on the clutch? Balance that against whatever fatal flaw we're obsessing about in the Prince engine these days. Is it still carbon buildup?

Won't stand out on the road? In a two mile loop of my street, I walk by seven MINI hatches, a convertible and a Countryman and at work I share a parking lot with another half dozen hatches, a Clubman, and a Coupe.

Crappy infotainment system? May I introduce you to MINI Connected?

My point isn't to bash MINI. I love mine. Is only to point out that these arguments against the Focus are weak.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using NAMotoring

Old 10-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did a test drive. I liked it quite a bit, but I love my MINI. The Focus seemed quick but bulky. I'm sure I would get used to tossing more weight around the autocross cones. If my MINI failed, it would be my choice right now.

I will also take a look at the Fiesta ST when it arrives.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ford focus ST is easy to make good looking with a couple cosmetic changes looks good. The mazdaspeed miata NC people always seem to forget about. Low mileage S2000?

A coworker has a 2nd gen mazdaspeed 3 with standalone, intercooler, intake, exhaust and pushes 300 horsepower easy and it a lot of fun.

Why is the scion FRS always forgot about?

Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Lots of good points....
FORD has come a LONG way in the last few years....
And as a gen1 owner, looking at newer mini's....
Hate to say I kinda agree, mini has gotten sidetracked.....
In trying to be all things to all people in a small package, BMW has allowed mini to loose its way....
To look elsewhere at other offerings is smart IMO....
I have made my gen1 last, but if it was wrecked tomorrow....I would not buy a gen2 or even a gen3....and the liklyhood of finding a nontracked, adult driven, well matained r53 is dropping rapidly everyday.....let's face it...I drive my car nicely, open it up on a twisty road...but I have never been one to bump a redline or stay above 5500 rpms for long.... So while I am confidant MY motor is in good shape....not do sure about EVER BUYING a USED car with a turbo/supercharger.....just too much room/lilyhood for prior abuse.....
Good luck captBJ, keep us informed!!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 6000pounds
The ford focus ST is easy to make good looking with a couple cosmetic changes looks good. The mazdaspeed miata NC people always seem to forget about. Low mileage S2000?

A coworker has a 2nd gen mazdaspeed 3 with standalone, intercooler, intake, exhaust and pushes 300 horsepower easy and it a lot of fun.

Why is the scion FRS always forgot about?
Actually seems like EVERYONE is talking about the FR-S/BR-Z. It's a great platform (pretty light, RWD, great handling, steering feel, ergonomics, simplicity, etc), but it's SLOW. The R56 is about the same 0-60, but it's a little lighter and has considerably more torque and it's available pretty early in the rev range.

And some people may prefer the hatchback body style for its utility benefits.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For the price it isn't bad. I went to go test drive one and couldn't fit...that was my deal breaker.

And to 6000lb...The FRS has no torque, is RWD but needs a SC or turbo IMO. I'm not a huge fan of having to rev engines all the time to have fun.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:49 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yetti96
For the price it isn't bad. I went to go test drive one and couldn't fit...that was my deal breaker.

And to 6000lb...The FRS has no torque, is RWD but needs a SC or turbo IMO. I'm not a huge fan of having to rev engines all the time to have fun.

This is a quick vid of a frs with removed rear seat and muffler

the car will soon see a 2JZ engine. You can get a decent supercharger or turbo kit for these cars for 5k. Compared to the overpriced parts you pay for a mini the FR-S would be just as enjoyable and is an almost perfect weight distribution car.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Drove a Focus SE recently, I know, not ST performance, etc. The interior was just so ugly, I didn't like it at all. FULL of road noise. yuck. Thanks, but no thanks. The banal Chevy Cruze is a better design.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM
VittorioS
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If something were to happen to my mini, such as getting wrecked or stolen, this car would be on my list.

I test drove one of these and fell in love. The interior quality is pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was the steering wheel, mostly because it's not 3-spoke but it's not a deal breaker.

Performance wise, I have nothing to complain about. I believe it has that special differential which pretty much eliminates torque steer; cool stuff.

From the looks, it looks way better than the gopping F56. What I would change though is the grill, it needs an outline or something; the black makes it look like it's missing something.

Overall, I would buy this car if something unfortunate were to happen to my car. The list of equipment that comes standard is amazing. Although, this car would have to go through a list in my head :p

Considering:
Frs/brz, Mazdaspeed 3, S2000, or an Evo as my next car.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're looking for great fwd turbo car around $25-$30k then ST is really nice, GTI, and MS3. If you're looking at AWD, check out the new Subaru STi coming out, it's two doors and the new twin-scroll turbocharger looks to be fantastic since they're going to a 2.0L and the looks will look awesome!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Begin RANT-O-MATIC!!!

Funny when the GEN1 cars were around, the MINI brand was about fun, be dammed what others think about out little cars...like the "not normal campaign"...
Gen2 came out...more "hipster" all about style....kinda like VW meets BMW....

They shifted focus away from the car and its faults and more to the GIZIMO's...like MINI connected....making the car an accessory to an apple I-Phone....
Did somebody forget to build a GOOD car? Hear some folks are on their 2nd timing chain, 3rd clutch and second carbon cleaning,,,,with a valve cover tossed in....

Anybody realize MINI is doing what VW does to cover up the fact us market mexican made VW's are junk.......
to cover up Quality control issues (and to cater to folks who BUY a car more on emotion than research), they have moved to make MINI a "LIFESTYLE" brand......
I just keep WISHING they would return to making GREAT SMALL CARS.....
and the gizmo's would just be a nice plus....
When I look, touch and feel the gen2 cars...while they LOOK plush...look at the wheel wells..cheap crap carpet liners...look at the plastic by the bottom of the windshield...cheap salad tray thickness parts....
Talk to an owner about how often their car is fixed or in the shop....
My r53 has NEVER gone to a dealer beyond scheduled mx in the warranty period....car has never been towed...left me straned, or borrowing a car...
and the work like bushings I have done as upgrades have been for MY enjoyment....
When i stop by the "local" mini centric shop, a gen2 with carbon issues, a timing chain, or failed clutch shows up almost daily on a flatbed....
I mean what gives folks?! you put up with MINI making you change timing chains MULTIPLE times ON YOUR DIME with days of downtime?!
I love my MINI, bit nobody will ever be able to call be a MINI fanboy...I simply love GOOD CARS, the name on them be dammed!!
When MINI makes another GOOD drivers car for a reasonable $$, I would look at it....

Mini reminds me of a great little restaurant I once liked....it was great till it became popular...now nobody goes there anymore....it is simply not the same!!

End rant....

Last edited by ZippyNH; 10-16-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drove a FOCUS ST today