General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Mini Cooper still cool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Since it's been around for roughly a dozen years, there's a lingering question surrounding the Mini Cooper: Is it still cool to own one?
There is no arguing that it was cool driving around in a Mini when it was first introduced to American car buyers in 2000. If you happened to own one the looks - "what is that" - were prevalent. But that wow factor has waned, leading back to the original premise: Is the Mini still cool?
Personally, I think the Mini Cooper still has an appealing style and personality that attracts car shoppers. Its British background had me visualizing a drive through the streets of London, maneuvering my way around in this tall, two-door hatchback.
The Mini was originally unveiled in 1959 to combat the gas crisis in England. Now owned by BMW, the Mini has managed to stay around despite rumors that the brand would be discontinued.
New for 2013 is the Mini Cooper Paceman, which was driven here for a week. Based on the Mini Countryman crossover, the Paceman is 4 inches wider and 15 inches longer. It retains the signature large doors and large door openings, which are admirable qualities for a compact vehicle.
Not so admirable is the gas mileage and the escalating price for some models.
The Paceman has three trim models (Cooper, Cooper S and John Cooper) and the mileage ranges from 23-31 mpg, which is not a selling point for a compact vehicle. And speaking of selling points, the Mini can get pricey very quickly. The base model is $23,200, but the S Paceman driven here ran nearly $40,000 with some extras.
Although the Paceman is roomy for all four passengers, I wouldn't deem it family friendly. Even with the wide doors, it's not much fun getting in and out of the back seat. And the Paceman is not as roomy as many other hatchback rivals.
Techie folks will enjoy the optional Mini Connected electronics, an interface system. It has an iPhone-smartphone app integration system that offers access to both social media and Internet radio.
There is a fun factor that comes with purchasing the Paceman turbocharged 1.6-liter, four cylinder that produces 181 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque. It goes 0-60 mph in 7.2 seconds, which is a lot quicker than the standard engine (1.6-liter, four cylinder, 121 HP) that travels the same distance in 9.7 seconds. The turbo model has good acceleration and can climb hills admirably.
The Paceman reportedly doesn't offer the nimble handling of other Mini models, but it seemed just find to me. The steering was precise and the Paceman delivers a certain peace of mind in regards to control. What's not as appealing is a bumpy ride that gets a lot worse on uneven surfaces.
If style and personality are key ingredients in your car search, the Mini Cooper still meets those requirements. It retains a unique visual appeal and has some other fine qualities as well. But this is not a family vehicle or a compact that provides superior gas mileage and comes at a low sticker price.

http://www.rocklintoday.com/news/tem...1868&zoneid=88

Old 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
LARRYINL.A.
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it's still cool.

Attached Thumbnails Is the Mini Cooper still cool?-mini2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So this piece is primarily a review of the Paceman. That hardly seems to be an adequate metric for the overall MINI coolness factor.

And someone needs to educate this guy that there is a difference between a "Mini" and a "MINI." He's had 12 years now to figure it out.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
I think it's pretty cool

Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Pure87
4th Gear
Judging by the amount of people who stop to tell me how fool my car is, yeah, I think Minis are still cool.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:02 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
So this piece is primarily a review of the Paceman. That hardly seems to be an adequate metric for the overall MINI coolness factor.
Yeah, he was trolling with the headline.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:23 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused...

Bram, where did you copy this from?

Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
I'm confused...

Bram, where did you copy this from?
It was in the OP. http://www.rocklintoday.com/news/tem...1868&zoneid=88

Old 08-18-2013, 03:30 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EHans
Got it, thanks

Old 08-18-2013, 04:08 PM
chanclor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Pure87
Judging by the amount of people who stop to tell me how fool my car is, yeah, I think Minis are still cool.
Yea but are they cool PEOPLE?!

Pretty decent review of the Paceman, I think I agree with it on all points. Fun, unique, sporty but a little expensive and not exactly a gas sipper.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in a area with a lot of wealthy people - not me - and they drive all sorts of very nice cars, but in my son's elementary school if your parents own a MINI you're considered cool. My son always wants to go school functions in our MINI.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Pure87
How many people stop to tell you how fool your car is?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There's nothing else like it. Its competition is all "real cars" -- too sensible and way boring!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Mini has never been 'not cool' it has always been too cool, unbelievably cool, bitchin' too.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most cars today are generic in design with generic performance. My MINI Roadster is the most fun I've had in years. And like BMBULBE said, "There is nothing else like it." I'm stopped daily with question about my MINI and positive feedback. When putting my Roadster to bed for the night, I find myself wiping a cupped hand print off the window from someone trying to take a peek inside. I love owning this car. In answer to your question "Is MINI still Cool," I think so.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2004 Mustang I met Sunday afternoon definitely did not think The Dread Pirate was cool!!!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:16 AM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Wherever I go, males and females of all ages turn and stare as I drive by in my MCS Hardtop (and no, I don't look like Quasimodo!). Cars often get close behind and hang there for 15-20 seconds before backing off, as if the driver is trying to get a good look. On highways, people will come alongside as if they are going to pass, but then stay there until they've apparently had an eyeful (I've caught a lot of them looking), or I get tired of it and speed up or slow down.

And yet, I can't get more than 10% of other MINI drivers to wave.

In 42 years of driving, this is the first time that I've encountered anything like this. So, drivers of other vehicles must think that the MINI is still cool!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM
tekron
3rd Gear
yeah it's cool but you pay for it in the long run

Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM
JonT
2nd Gear
Had a lotta cars over the decades - the MCS is still the most fun car I've owned. In terms of the fun factor bundled with the comfort and space the interior offers, the handling, the horsepower, yeah, the Mini is very cool indeed. I really don't care what anything else thinks, I know what I like.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Life is too short to drive a boring car. I don't really give a flying fart if other people think my car is cool or not. I have fun driving it, I love it and that's all that's important

Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM
pghJohn1010
1st Gear
I don't know what's cool, but I know what I like.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
MINI is cool. With me.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:40 PM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Still cool.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
Life is too short to drive a boring car.
I often think this behind the wheel.

Needs to become a small decal.

In the few months of owning my Mini.. I've had people stop and talk to me in parking lots asking questions... People stopped in traffic giving me a thumbs up... Never in my life did that happen before with other cars...

Ok, well it happened several times with my Golf.. But that had custom artwork on the fender to look like the Battleship NJ...

Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM
LARRYINL.A.
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chanclor
Yea but are they cool PEOPLE?!

Mini owners are incredibly cool people.

And those of us with John Cooper Works Minis are even more cool -- confident that we are as fast or faster than any exotic car out there!

Quick Reply: Is the Mini Cooper still cool?