General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official MINI DRLs Fitted

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:13 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by komet155
How long did you have the set on the car before one went dim?
After I originally ordered them late last year and I did not install them right away (about 4 months in the box) and once installed the halo went out after about 6 months. On close inspection the halo lightly flickered simliar to how a flouresant bulbs act when the bulb is out. I ended up trying to plug in the bad fog light on the opposite side of the car to determine if it was the wiring or the bulb. Since I replecated the same flickering on the opposite side I assume it is the bulb.

That said, I noticed that the dealerships offer 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty on accessories (I assume this IS considered a Mini "accessory"), but I ordered from a official Mini parts/accessory supplier which has a stated 1 year warranty. It has taken about two months to get a replacement and I was informed on Friday they received it from Mini and they are sending it out. It would have been quicker if I removed the entire system and reboxed it (two lights and wiring harness) but I really did not want to remove the entire bumper and disconnect the wiring.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:09 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my set in April and haven't mounted it yet. I hope I won't have a light housing problem since it's a real pain removing the front bumper on an R56.

Thanks for the info, though. I guess I need to be prepared for the possibility of this happening.

Originally Posted by TJANK
After I originally ordered them late last year and I did not install them right away (about 4 months in the box) and once installed the halo went out after about 6 months. On close inspection the halo lightly flickered simliar to how a flouresant bulbs act when the bulb is out. I ended up trying to plug in the bad fog light on the opposite side of the car to determine if it was the wiring or the bulb. Since I replecated the same flickering on the opposite side I assume it is the bulb.

That said, I noticed that the dealerships offer 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty on accessories (I assume this IS considered a Mini "accessory"), but I ordered from a official Mini parts/accessory supplier which has a stated 1 year warranty. It has taken about two months to get a replacement and I was informed on Friday they received it from Mini and they are sending it out. It would have been quicker if I removed the entire system and reboxed it (two lights and wiring harness) but I really did not want to remove the entire bumper and disconnect the wiring.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
I received my replacement DRL LED lamp yesterday and re-installed it today. I am amazed at how much quicker it took once you install it a couple of times--not to mention all the helpful NAM advice in this thread. It is nice to have both halos working again.

FYI: The single DRL fog light BMW/MINI part # 63 12 2 348 832. And the MINI DRL LED kit is BMW/MINI part # 63 12 2 338 554.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,771 Posts
Yep full kit here . MINI DRL Full kit 63122338554

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63122338554/

-----------------------------------------------------

Single DRL here which is available now encase you damage it in a wreak. 63122348832

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63122348832/

Glad that worked TJank , hoping for not an issue with the wiring or the main module. Which is separate part now also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 PM
WhiteSilverMCS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep full kit here . MINI DRL Full kit 63122338554

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63122338554/

-----------------------------------------------------

Single DRL here which is available now encase you damage it in a wreak. 63122348832

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63122348832/

Glad that worked TJank , hoping for not an issue with the wiring or the main module. Which is separate part now also.

im not hating on ecs tuning but they seem to throw their website and bomb threads where it's not necessarily needed.....

I don't think you need to spam your webpage and products on every thread that speaks about specific items you guys carry.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteSilverMCS
im not hating on ecs tuning but they seem to throw their website and bomb threads where it's not necessarily needed.....

I don't think you need to spam your webpage and products on every thread that speaks about specific items you guys carry.
So you choose to point this out after they make a post where they make a relevant point about single lamps being now available versus having to buy an entire kit for one bad light?

Not saying you're hating on ECS, but there is a vendor review section on the forum.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:35 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I don't have a problem with vendor posts. They are always relevant and generally helpful (love the diagrams). And, vendors pay a premium to NAM to front product, which helps us freeloaders use the forum for free..

Old 09-27-2014, 05:45 PM
komet155
4th Gear
I usually keep this in mind when I see such posts. If they're paying to mine the forum for customers, so be it. *shrug*

Originally Posted by AZdsrt
I don't have a problem with vendor posts. They are always relevant and generally helpful (love the diagrams). And, vendors pay a premium to NAM to front product, which helps us freeloaders use the forum for free..

Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 PM
osinkboy
2nd Gear
hey y'all...

as you'll learn from this post, I'm still very much a newbie here..

I combed through this thread and I really want the DRLs now! I just picked up my first R60 a couple of weeks ago and already have caught the mod bug...but here's my question:

I have a 2014 Countryman with the Navi package and noticed there's an option in the Settings screen to check or uncheck Daytime Running Lights.

Is it correct to assume that if have the DRL option ON on the screen, I'll be getting the Halo on while I drive with the headlights OFF? And if I uncheck the DRL option, I'll have no lights on during the day?

Just wanted to get a clear answer on that..

thanks!

Old 12-21-2014, 05:11 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Ya, just went thru that. If you turn on DRL option, it just turns on the headlights and tail lights when you start the car.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:25 PM
osinkboy
2nd Gear
sorry..I'm lame..I don't get understand that. Can you clarify?

If you have DRL option ON, do you get halo on when headlights are off?
And
If you have DRL option OFF, do you get NOTHING when headlights are off?

Is that correct?

Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Ya, just went thru that. If you turn on DRL option, it just turns on the headlights and tail lights when you start the car.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:31 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Guess you'll need to just try it and see what happens. On my '12 MCS (without halo), turning on the DRL option really doesn't do anything other than automatically turning on the headlights and tail lights when the car is started. It's kind of a lame option. You could just leave the lights on all the time (they turn off when you shut the engine down). Hope I'm making sense here..

Old 12-21-2014, 06:02 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Nope. Here's the deal: For the fogs to work, the DRL option must be turned off. Then, with the headlights (including auto) off, you get the full LED ring. With the headlights on, you get the top (roughly) half. With the low beams on, the main LED fogs work. With the high beams on, they revert to the upper half of the LED ring. HTH.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:06 PM
osinkboy
2nd Gear
Thanks for the clarification Hoonu! Who knew!

Anyhow, one last question...what happens if I turn the DRL option ON?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, is there a way to drive around with ALL lights off if I wanted to? Like right now, I have the regular fogs, and no lights turn on during the day. I might want that again for some reason..

Originally Posted by hoonu
Nope. Here's the deal: For the fogs to work, the DRL option must be turned off. Then, with the headlights (including auto) off, you get the full LED ring. With the headlights on, you get the top (roughly) half. With the low beams on, the main LED fogs work. With the high beams on, they revert to the upper half of the LED ring. HTH.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by osinkboy
I guess what I'm trying to get at is, is there a way to drive around with ALL lights off if I wanted to?
No. Not without some kind of modification.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:18 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
^^^^^

What he said. Maybe, if you have access to someone who can re-code the lights, but that's just guessing.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:54 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I did this to fix that problem.

Last edited by scottab36; 12-22-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:07 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Note that the last pages of the installation instructions
"Deactivate the DRL function in the onboard computer."

"To ensure proper functioning of the LED daytime running lights, the daytime running light option of your vehicle may not be reactivated via the onboard computer"

The halos basically become your daytime running lights.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MINI_LED_DRL.pdf (4.47 MB, 398 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scottab36
I did this to fix that problem.
Yes, you inspired me to do something similar. I put a small toggle switch in the same location. Since I had tapped into the 12v Accessory Socket in the center console rather than wrestling with the foot well module, the switch was nicely placed right along the wire leading to the center console.

Works like a champ.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 PM
osinkboy
2nd Gear
Can anyone with the DRLs installed tell me what happens if you do reactive/deactivate the DRL option on the computer?

Or is the manual saying that the software option becomes greyed out?

Originally Posted by TJANK
Note that the last pages of the installation instructions
"Deactivate the DRL function in the onboard computer."

"To ensure proper functioning of the LED daytime running lights, the daytime running light option of your vehicle may not be reactivated via the onboard computer"

The halos basically become your daytime running lights.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:39 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osinkboy
Can anyone with the DRLs installed tell me what happens if you do reactive/deactivate the DRL option on the computer?
The car's ECU does not know the LED DRLs are there, so nothing changes in the car or its behaviour.

Once the LED DRLs are fitted:
- with the menu DRL option is 'off', and no standard lights (park/head/fog) are switched on, the full ring of the DRL will light up whenever the ignition is on;
- with the menu DRL option is 'off', and any standard lights are switched on, only the top quarter of the DRL ring will light up as a side/marker light whenever the ignition is on;
- if the menu DRL option is 'on', the dipped headlights will switch on as DRLs whenever the ignition is on (ie, exactly as before) - since that then means there are standard lights on, only the top quarter of the LED will light up.

After fitting, it is not possible:
- to switch off the LED DRLs as well as all other lights when the ignition is on (so undercover cops and private eyes should avoid fitting these DRLs if they want to discretely use the car's heater on a stake-out);
- to have the headlights and full ring DRLs on at the same time;
- to have the full ring DRLs on when driving at night (they would cause serious glare) except by switching all other lights off;
- to leave the car parked with the full ring DRLs on.

The LED control unit appears to also contain a 'lights out' check that tells the car's ECU is any individual LED light fails. My first control unit was faulty (replaced and reinstalled free under parts guarantee even though I fitted the original one) and gave a permanent fog light bulb out warning!

Oh, and the LED rings are bright enough that in traffic you see them reflecting back at you from the bumper of the car in front even on a sunny day, so you are reminded your purchase was worthwhile. Black vehicles are suddenly of value for the improved reflection they offer.

Last edited by Angib; 12-26-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Vanity information...
Old 12-26-2014, 04:55 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Angib is 100% correct. There's no way with the car running to have no light if you have the DRLs. If you have the lights off, the DRLs are on. If you have the lights on then the parking section (and the lights) are on.

I love seeing the rings reflected on the back of other cars too. It's a game to find how close you need to be at a stop light to get a complete ring!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by spiney
Angib is 100% correct. There's no way with the car running to have no light if you have the DRLs. If you have the lights off, the DRLs are on. If you have the lights on then the parking section (and the lights) are on.
...that is, unless you install a single pole, single throw switch in the 12v accessory wire as I have done, which allows you to turn them off. See scottab36's video six posts previous to this one.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:55 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
...that is, unless you install a single pole, single throw switch in the 12v accessory wire as I have done, which allows you to turn them off. See scottab36's video six posts previous to this one.
This is true. My comments apply to installations that are either done at the factory or follow the factory instructions. The switch will work for sure. I'm just not going to open up the footwell again. After doing the DRLs and the rally lights I'm sick of the sight of it!

Old 12-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by spiney
This is true. My comments apply to installations that are either done at the factory or follow the factory instructions. The switch will work for sure. I'm just not going to open up the footwell again. After doing the DRLs and the rally lights I'm sick of the sight of it!
I don't blame you. I chickened out and went straight to the center console 12v accessory plug for my tap source. You get more points for following the directions.

Quick Reply: Official MINI DRLs Fitted