General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First R52 Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:26 PM
rangerfan
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My First R52 Impressions

So I’ve been a Mini owner for 5 days and not quite 200 miles. My 2007 R52 MCSc is all that I had hoped, and more. Here are some impressions after not enough driving time behind the wheel.

Funnest driving car that I have ever owned. It’s like it was built especially for the twistys in Fairfield County. My 1995 325i was close. My 1998 528i was not close. My various Audis don’t even enter the conversation (though the allroad was a fun car to drive). My 04 X5 4.4i is a seriously fun ride, and I love it after 75k miles, but the R52 is just awesome. And you cannot compare it to a 5000+ pound SAV.

I love the creaks and squeaks of the top when the hard run-flats and sport suspension hit the cracks and holes in the horrible Connecticut roads. They give the car character and only enhance the go-kart feel of the tiny Mini. The car is simple yet refined in a pastic-y kind of way, and somehow, it works perfectly. I wouldn’t want it any other way.
My Laser Blue ride has the cloth and leather black and blue seats and the loud and obnoxious blue trim. It’s got character up the wazoo! Thank you to the first owner who ordered the car, and thank you to the second owner who walked into the stealer to sell the thing the day before I bought it (for too much $ I might add, but I don’t care!) Of course, what the interior really needs is the JCW alcantara and leather steering wheel. That will be my first mod (installing Sirius doesn’t count, does it?). The stock 3-spoke sport wheel is horrible. It feels like vinyl. Oh wait—it is vinyl. Then I’ll try and hardwire my V1, because the car is just too difficult to drive under the speed limit. Then the Garmin hardwire. A Dice Mediabridge. Some new stripes. New grills. New gills. Wow, there is so much to choose from. That’s another great thing about the car. The individuality that these cars spark in their owners is inspirational!

I find myself looking for any excuse to drive the car. Sure, I’ll run to the supermarket. Oh wait, my daughter need to go to ballet—sure, I’ll take her. No, it’s no problem at all! Mind if I drive via Hartford?!?

I’ve had the top at least partially opened every day since I got the car, and it hasn’t been above 45 degrees. The heater is excellent, and the heated seats are the warmest I have ever owned. And I get to listen to the supercharger do its thing! Sure, the car is small, the top-up visibility sucks, and I find that the rear-view mirror gets in the way of my forward sightlines, especially when turning right. I also find that I have to duck down to see traffic lights. It’s all part of the charm. As I said. Funnest driving car that I have ever owned.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to hear it! and the fun never seems to wear off either. I've had mine for 3 years now and still smile every time I turn the key.

Wait until you're driving with a whole group of Minis and see the reaction of people as you pass by