General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion - Would MINIs be cheaper if brand had been bought by other than BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Your opinion - Would MINIs be cheaper if brand had been bought by other than BMW?

A question for the fine folks frequenting NAM

Do you believe cars built by MINI would be less expensive if the company had been bought by a company other than luxury vehicle maker BMW?

or if you prefer

Is the cost of MINI vehicles influenced by the brand being linked to BMW?

Waddaya think?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably, but if it was bought by Kia they would probably be garbage. Although they aren't without problems, I think being owned by BMW contributed to the overall quality. I can only really speak to my experience with my R50 though, seems like 2nd gen owners are having more issues.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each day I see what new MINIs are going for I want to vomit. I test drove a $39,000 Clubman. Completely asinine.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 AM
NavyET
2nd Gear
A good example would be to look at the Land Rover company after TaTa Motors (India) bought them. Have they dropped in price yet? IDK

Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
My only complaint is the lack of an actual BMW motor in Minis.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by duvinclunk
Each day I see what new MINIs are going for I want to vomit. I test drove a $39,000 Clubman. Completely asinine.
Yeah that sucks. However I notice when dealers order them for their lots, they tend to overload on the options which jacks up the price rather quickly. When I bout my '05 new, I made sure to double down on the options I wanted and kept those off that I didn't really need. For me stuff like the Nav, Bluetooth, Ipod adapter were non essentials. Also some of the packages were as well. I think anytime anyone who doesn't own a MINI says they are expensive to buy hasn't really tried to configure one on the website.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that BMW outsourced the motor to keep costs down.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
duvinclunk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mrluckypa
I think that BMW outsourced the motor to keep costs down.
Wow. I can't imagine how much they would have cost with an actual BMW motor then.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The series two Mini engine was jointly developed by PSA Peugeot Citroen and BMW, so it is an actual BMW engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_engine

Dave

Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay well the Peugeot 207 has a better aftermarket than the R56 does haha.

Either way, I think its crazy to pay even more than $30k for a MINI. Its literally half the car most other cars in that range are. Sure i am paying for luxury, blah blah blah.. but I am over all using some what less materials haha.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have a buddy who uses a "toilet rule" when purchasing anything.

It says, "Anything that costs more than $30,000 must have a toilet in it."

I got under the bar by $500 when I got my MINI.

Dave

Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I think the BMW brand has skewed the MINI more towards the amenities/premium side of things, and cost would/could be a factor there. There is something "un-Mini" for me about that direction, so I always got lightly optioned/Coopers...that felt more Mini to me. To each their own, though....BMW can't remain stagnant and if they want to stay premium. It got to be too much to interest me personally and so I bailed.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably, but they wouldn't be the same. I don't think the prices are that bad, really, when I look at the garbage American cars my friends and family buy that really aren't much cheaper than a MINI.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Just imagine if you lived in Canada and had to pay $5000 to $8000 more than the folks in the US do.

Unless I can get a sweet deal on another used one, I highly doubt that I'll be paying top $ for a new one.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I ordered exactly what I wanted and paid $21,600 in June of 2010. Having driven it for a year and taken on all comers in autocross without so much as an alignment I think I got an incredible bargain.

And I have yet to have a single problem.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
A question for the fine folks frequenting NAM

Do you believe cars built by MINI would be less expensive if the company had been bought by a company other than luxury vehicle maker BMW?

or if you prefer

Is the cost of MINI vehicles influenced by the brand being linked to BMW?

Waddaya think?
What is the problem with what they cost exactly ? You get bang for the buck/value for the brand name backing it. And, the added security knowing it wasn't built by Yugo or Fiat.

If it was built by some " less expensive" trademark, resale of the car would be in the toilet. Then we might just as well of purchased that "other brand" in the first place.

What's your point ?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Considering it is a luxury car...with a great engine (it is technically a BMW engine) and all the interior amenities...I would say its pretty well priced! Would you want a $14K MINI? I doubt it would run as well or feel as sturdy! I like that my car is built like a tank and feels like a sports car, but still gets awesome mileage! Hitting the gas when cornering is fun too! I have no problem with BMW owning MINI...I would say its an advantage!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
What is the problem with what they cost exactly ? You get bang for the buck/value for the brand name backing it. And, the added security knowing it wasn't built by Yugo or Fiat.

If it was built by some " less expensive" trademark, resale of the car would be in the toilet. Then we might just as well of purchased that "other brand" in the first place.

What's your point ?

Just asking a question that popped into my head on the weekend, that's all.

Also, I have always been under the impression that when the Mini was first introduced it was a car for the masses. Since it's been taken over by BMW it looks like it's become more of an upper-middle to upper class (I hate to say this, but...) "status" car.

Don't get me wrong. I love my MINI. Just saying that they'd sell tons more if they were slightly more affordable.

But hey that's just my opinion, right?

Last edited by Minibeagle; 08-23-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
Geez... angry much?

Just asking a question that popped into my head on the weekend, that's all.

Also, I have always been under the impression that when the Mini was first introduced it was a car for the masses. Since it's been taken over by BMW it looks like it's become more of an upper-middle to upper class (I hate to say this, but...) "status" car.

Don't get me wrong. I love my MINI. Just saying that they'd sell tons more if they were slightly more affordable.

But hey that's just my opinion, right?
I see enough MINI's on the road...if they were as common as say a Honda Civic would you really want one.....moreover would there be a forum dedicated to them?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gentlefury
I see enough MINI's on the road...if they were as common as say a Honda Civic would you really want one.....moreover would there be a forum dedicated to them?
Yep, I'd still want one. Heck, more than one! I don't own my MINI because it stands out from most other cars out there. Sure it's fun to get the occasional gawk or smile, but it doesn't define who I am. No "thing" does and it shouldn't. I own a MINI because it's a blast to drive. Funnest car I have ever owned.

Of course there still would be forums dedicated to the car if there were tons more out there on the road. Just look at all the Honda, VW, etc. forums out there. There'd still be an avid community out there of modders, track rats, troubleshooters,etc even if the car was more mainstream.

Just sayin'

I'm glad to see this forum is generating discussion

Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Roundel
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by duvinclunk
Just ordered a $42,000 Clubman S for a customer today.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 PM
minirooferS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Probably, but if it was bought by Kia they would probably be garbage. Although they aren't without problems, I think being owned by BMW contributed to the overall quality. I can only really speak to my experience with my R50 though, seems like 2nd gen owners are having more issues.
I always that R56's were more reliable.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 PM
MC2005s
3rd Gear
I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't made by BMW to be honest. they crafted this awesome machine and definitely made something out of it that no other car maker could have done. imagine if this thing was made by Honda or Toyota....lol I definitely would not have purchased it. it'd be a little sh** can :P

Old 08-23-2011, 04:38 AM
21JCW
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow ... good question ... I look at the higher-end Mini's as a 'cult' car (not for everyone) ... I came from 08 STI ... Motor, Brakes & Drivetrain are GREAT! Beyond that leaves many questions ... The STI and the EVO can have MSRP's north of $36K. IMHO both interiors are ... well ... made of cheap materials. I look at the STI & EVO in the same category .. simply NOT for everyone. Looking around you really do not see many JCW's, STI's or EVO's ... You see their siblings. Mini knows they have a product that differentiates from their competition for the most part. So, to answer the question of would the Mini be cheaper in price, well that depends on the overall build quality and test of time. BMW has a pretty good reputation on build quality and test of time.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 AM
fixthedoor
1st Gear
Like who? Land Rover? Toyota? Ford?....Suzuki? Each manufacturer would have their own interpretation of what a MINI should be, in turn building and pricing it accordingly.

My justa Clubman was only a couple grand more than well equipped (for their segment) econo cars, plus free scheduled maintenance (obviously it's not free). For a couple grand more I was able to get a better engineered unique car, that is very fun to drive.

I don't feel MINI's price points are out of line at all. As 21JCW points out, look at other specialized cars and their price points, MINI's seem to be right where they should be.

Quick Reply: Your opinion - Would MINIs be cheaper if brand had been bought by other than BMW?