General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 vehicle choices, two are mini's, what would you do

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:49 PM
The cosworth
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 vehicle choices, two are mini's, what would you do

So I have been looking for a car recently and I have a few options and I dont know what I want to do.

Option #1 - Keep my truck

I currently own a 2007 F150 that is in pretty mint shape. I owe roughly what some of the dealers are offering me on trade and I am tired of the large size and gas.

Option #2 - 2007 MCS at the Honda dealership. Delivery right away.
Option #3 - Have Mini try and find me a car at an increased cost but certified warranty.

I have been in love with the Mini's since they came out, but have never owned one. I have been looking at Mini's for the last few weeks and have been reading a lot ont he forums. I am worried about all the reliability issues I am hearing. I have the option to buy a 2007 MCS with 51,000 miles on it (and out of warranty) that needs rear brakes and the rear main seal done. They will be doing that before I picked it up. They are asking 18,688 for the car.

I also know someone who works at Mini here in town and he said he could find me a car with cerified warranty. Problem is that this will net me a 4k additional charge.

Option #4 - GTI/MS3 or something else.

I have also been looking at GTI's and Mazda Speed 3's. Both seem to have their issues. MS3's seem to be hard to find, but cheap, and GTI's are FAR from cheap.

I am very nervous about all the issues I hear about MCS's but I just love the car so much. Only two complaints about the one I am looking at is that there isnt Automatic climate control and that the radio isnt the greatest and seems a bit strange looking.

Please help me decide.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a CPO 2007 MCS that's given me some problems from the get go. I've had the issues fixed under warranty since and have had no problems (X'ing my fingers). This is my first MINI, and although its given me some problems, I love this car. I've never driven a car with this much fun before. I am very hesitant in recommending this car because of reliability and I base this on my 1st hand experience and from what I've read in this forum. HOWEVER, if I had $$$ to buy another car, I will buy another MINI. The fun I have with this car, to me, outweighs the issues I've had with it. This probably doesn't help with your question but if you decide to get one, look for one that has warranty and I would probably prefer looking into ones that are privately owned. I've just had bad experience with dealerships.

Hopefully others will chime in on what they think and their own experiences, especially with Gen 1 MINIs.

Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 PM
The cosworth
Neutral
Thanks so much for your reply. What are the issues you have seen? I am worried about waiting to get one with CPO as it will easily jump the price 4/5k for a very similar car.

I am fairly handy with fixing stuff so as long as it doesnt blow a motor or a turbo I am fine with fixing it.

I should mention I had my buddy at Mini run the VIN and it had the timing chain repaired a little while ago under warranty (I assume as part of the slapping). Other than that it has a failed license plate light bulb and a couple trim pieces were making noise.

Also here is a link to the car:

http://www.airdriehonda.ca/used/MINI...3c276f4bb1.htm

Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 PM
The cosworth
Neutral
It seems that initial build quality is good but it is long term where the reliability is failing. Reading consumer reports (and the threads here) it seems at 40 - 60k miles the thing starts to pack it in (turbo's and such).

It may be a good bang for the buck but I am not sure about long term reliability.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
I've had the chain tensioner, high pressure fuel pump and water pump replaced. Had a couple of minor trims replaced as well. Other than that it's been pretty smooth.
It looks like your very hands on with cars so that's always a plus and it also helps if you know someone at a MINI dealership.

I'm not handy with cars but I started to since I got the MINI a year ago.
It's been really fun. Long term reliability is a question of mine but I guess I'll jut have to wait and find out. I got the car with 21K and I have 42K on it now. It's my daily driver and I do love driving it.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Those 3 things are the common ones I've seen in the forum. Haven't really seen a lot of people reporting blown turbos but maybe that's has something to do with mods and how the car is driven. I'm a noob when it comes to turbos too

Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my MINI, and I have last of the first-gen Non-S which is generally very reliable. I still bought a warranty for it. If I were in your shoes I'd go with the CPO, I think. The MCS especially seems to have it's share of issues, and most of them are not cheap. Many have no issues whatsoever, but buying used is always a roll of the dice.

Personally my Toyota dealer offered a refundable warranty on the MINI. It was about $3k but if I don't make any claims against it for 4 years, I get most of that money back. Maybe there is a third party warranty available to you with a similar structure.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would stay away from a MS3 and their turbo issues with the seals and smoking. Not to mention the 20mpg tops you will get from it.

Where are you at? $19K for that car isn't horrible but not great if you know it needs those things fixed. I wonder what quality brakes they are going to put on it. Get the last 7 of the VIN and talk to you local MINI dealer and review the service history on it too.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM
fixthedoor
1st Gear
At the price, you should be able to find one that doesn't need to be fixed. If you don't have to have an S why not just look into a well optioned new one? It will only be a few K more. Plus it gives you more finance options, including a lease. As it is with nothing down you're looking at $400 mo payment (at $20k).

Regarding keeping the truck, how often do you really take advantage of the "truck" part of the vehicle?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
IMO, GTI's and MS3's are really boring DD's. I'd pay a little extra to find a MINI still under warranty

Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Remember a car is not a truck so make sure you do not still need a truck.
You will need premium gas in the Mini so that is a cost trade-off vs. mileage. The Mini will be more expensive to operate due to higher maintenance/repair costs.

If going the car route, I would go with a Mini or GTI. If GTI I would get MKVI model (2010 or on). The GTI is a very nice car with better seats than the Mini but the Mini is more fun.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
ballandchain
4th Gear
I bought my 09 MCS new in Oct 09 and had a few "little" problems at first. Nothing that ever left me stranded. Once the known problems where weeded out I have had no problem with the car.