General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should we buy new or used

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 AM
cpuKEN
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we buy new or used

The wife has been wanting a Mini (S non S doesn't matter) for a couple years. We have been saving up for one and I've been looking at the 2007-2008 model year range... 16-18K range seem reasonable.
Looks like one of our cars died prematurely when it stalled in high water yesterday, so our search for another car has been moved up a bit.
It appears that used Mini prices are currently UP and a new Mini doesn't seem like a bad idea anymore. I'd like to hear some opinions about New vs Used. I had been a little scared of a used Mini due to potential high repair cost so going new would take care of that issue with a 3yr warranty but going from 18K to probably 22-23K... that's a lot of repairs I could have handled with that extra money. Never really thought seriously about leasing either but I saw an ad for $199 Mini lease... any thoughts.

thanks
Ken

Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
Your wife and I would get along. I've wanted one for a few years too. I'm awaiting delivery of a Countryman as I type.

Used car prices in general have been rising. Mini's do hold their residual value well. Here's a link to an article that talks about the changes in the used car industry with the swing in the economy.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...-used-car.aspx

Also, run those numbers. You might close the distance between new and used with the difference in interest rates and dealer incentives...currently $500 on a manual transmission.

You can also purchase extended warranties through other vendors...some reputable and some not. Our insurance company offers one. The only stipulation is that the car has to have under 75,000 miles.

Good luck with your decision!!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine (2010 S, manual, bluetooth, HK sound, HID's, and sunroofs) used from the dealership with 7k on the clock for 21k. I'm technically the first owner since it was a service loaner originally. I would recommend taking a look at the nearby dealers and see if they have any that are similar, since I think an non s would likely be down in the price range you mentioned.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by cpuKEN
The wife has been wanting a Mini (S non S doesn't matter) for a couple years. We have been saving up for one and I've been looking at the 2007-2008 model year range... 16-18K range seem reasonable.
Looks like one of our cars died prematurely when it stalled in high water yesterday, so our search for another car has been moved up a bit.
It appears that used Mini prices are currently UP and a new Mini doesn't seem like a bad idea anymore. I'd like to hear some opinions about New vs Used. I had been a little scared of a used Mini due to potential high repair cost so going new would take care of that issue with a 3yr warranty but going from 18K to probably 22-23K... that's a lot of repairs I could have handled with that extra money. Never really thought seriously about leasing either but I saw an ad for $199 Mini lease... any thoughts.

thanks
Ken
I love my MINI. With that in mind, my advice would be get one with a warranty. The base models have been fairly solid, but unexpected repairs carry a premium cost. In example, a high pressure fuel pump failure will be over $1200 if you are outside of warranty (about $900 for the pump itself).

Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Hey Ken; welcome back. I remember the MINI probe thread you started back in March. Now you're back with another good question.

Yes, as you move along considering newer and newer models, at some point it seems smarter to just buy a new one. Buying new means full warranty, all the "free" services, and no concerns about the car's previous driving, service, and repair histories.

While an '07/'08 may still be in the shop-around-for-first category, it seems your new time constraint may preclude patient shopping.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 AM
cpuKEN
Neutral
After reading a few different threads, am I right in discovering that some Mini dealers will actually negotiate prices? My dealer here in Indy is saying the new car price is the price (other then a few Mini promotional specials). It looks like some dealers are actually selling for something less than sticker price? Is it common for a dealer to Not come down off of the sticker price?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
I have no personal experience buying new MINIs, but, from what I've read here, some dealers are apparently more resistant to negotiation than others. Market factors of supply, demand, and price continue to operate, but as long as they're selling cars at MSRP there's no pressure to negotiate price. There's more pressure to negotiate when stock is high and sales are slow.

I noticed one dealer keeping a 2011 pure silver MC manual with no options on the lot for an extended time. I was mildly interested and test drove it several months ago. It finally sold recently, making me wonder what kind of deal someone might have gotten on it.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 AM
kedmini
1st Gear
Used care prices are up. I bought a '10 Honda Fit last year after going the "economical" route in Fit vs MINI. After being unhappy with my purchase I waited a year to gain equity back in the car and the MINI dealer gave me KBB, which was $2000 over what I owed (almost what I paid for the darn thing new a year ago). The dealer also gave me the 1575 package discount and with $3200 down I was able to haggle another $250 off MSRP (along with 2.7% for 60 months, but I could have done better if I went rate shopping before going to the dealer, not much though). This was in May. Now whether that is a good deal or not I'm not sure, but just my experience!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cpuKEN
After reading a few different threads, am I right in discovering that some Mini dealers will actually negotiate prices? My dealer here in Indy is saying the new car price is the price (other then a few Mini promotional specials). It looks like some dealers are actually selling for something less than sticker price? Is it common for a dealer to Not come down off of the sticker price?
I think it varies from dealer to dealer. In our area, and I'm including Indy, there are 4 dealerships; Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Indy. The closest dealer is 1 hour away. The one I'm buying at is 2 hours away. I'll have my maintenance done at the closer one but I got the better price at the other one and I paid less than sticker...enough less to make it worth the drive.

I wouldn't hesitate to let them know I'm shopping around and will buy where the dealer is willing to negotiate. That said, the same old adage applies. If they give you a good deal on the purchase, they'll rip you on the trade in. Keep the two deals separate!! JMHO....

Old 06-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
I've bought 2 brand new MINI's now (one I ordered, one off the lot). The one I ordered was nonnegotiable with the price. I think I got the rubber mats thrown in and that was it. The second one was $1500 for a cash buyer and a few things that it was something like "We'll pay for seat belt dealie things and mudflaps, but not the stripes or and armrest." Really, I'd say its not necessarily the dealer, but more the sales person.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
TomFarin
3rd Gear
Ken,

I've done both in the last year. My 2011 'S' Carbio was bought in December. There is a lot of comfort associated with being under warranty and there are a number of upgrades in 2011 you won't find in an earler R56. That MINI has been perfect so far. I paid list with the exception of the 0% financing that was on the table at the time.

I made the 'mistake' of going to MINIs on the Dragon. That experience has motivated me to 'mod a Mini' - suspension, engine, etc. Do that with a new MINI and you are messing with your warranty. So I gave the 2011 to my fiance to drive and bought a near perfect 2005 'S' coupe with a bit over 50K for about $13K from a private party. It is outside warranty so I can mod to my heart's content. Of course I'm on the hook for repairs. With the Bently Mini Cooper Service manual, I should be able to cut down on maintenance by dealing with some repairs in a do it yourself mode. So far, so good on that purchase too.

So it really comes down to:
1. How do you plan to use/drive your MINI.
2. Are you competent and willing to do some of the work yourself.

I count both decisions as good decisions. But they were made with different purposes in mind.

Tom

Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
cpuKEN
Neutral
Originally Posted by kedmini
Used care prices are up. I bought a '10 Honda Fit last year after going the "economical" route in Fit vs MINI. After being unhappy with my purchase I waited a year to gain equity back in the car and the MINI dealer gave me KBB, which was $2000 over what I owed (almost what I paid for the darn thing new a year ago). The dealer also gave me the 1575 package discount and with $3200 down I was able to haggle another $250 off MSRP (along with 2.7% for 60 months, but I could have done better if I went rate shopping before going to the dealer, not much though). This was in May. Now whether that is a good deal or not I'm not sure, but just my experience!
What's this $1,575 package discount... please elaborate.
Ken

Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Minimiser
2nd Gear
Bently Mini Cooper Service manual

What is this?!?!?!
Did I miss rehersal?
Where? How much?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TomFarin
So it really comes down to:
1. How do you plan to use/drive your MINI.
2. Are you competent and willing to do some of the work yourself.
That's a good start. Other factors to consider:
Are you a keeper or a switcher? If you'll only keep the car a couple years, makes sense to let someone else take the first year depreciation hit (although on a Mini it may not be that bad). If you're in for the long haul, buying new let's you get exactly what you want and you don't have to worry about reaping the consequences of previous owners' abuse or neglect.
Mini's been offering pretty good financing, probably better than you'll get on a used one.
Warranty's included on a new Mini.
The base Mini's seem to be pretty solid, the Ss have a few issues: fuel pump, timing chain tensioner, melting hood scoops. How much will it hurt to come up with a grand or so if one of those manifests on your used Mini S?

If your wife doesn't care if she gets an S or not, don't let her drive an S. Cause then she'll want one.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
LEASH
1st Gear
Hello I would suggest buying a new MINI non-S. The S adds a turbo charger which costs about 3K more than the base Cooper and also will sip more gas. These do take Premium gas so I would go with the non-S again if you are trying to save money. Also I would reccomend buying a new MINI because everything will be covered under the warrenty for 4 years or 50k miles (whichever comes first). Good luck!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM
ZeR0 EVOlution
2nd Gear
I'm on my second Mini, both of which I bought used, and I can tell you there is really no reason why anyone should buy a car new. I have my vehicle salesperson license in the state of California and buy cars from auction all the time. When buying any car new, you'll immediately see a depreciation in value just from driving off the lot (about $5,000), and then see more depreciation as time goes on. My Mini new in 2007 was $35k as it sits. I bought if for $17k (39,xxx miles). If I were to sell it four years from now, I can easily pull out $13k for it considering I bought a used 2003 MCS (36,xxx miles) for $13,500 in 2009. That means I only lost about $4,000 out of my initial investment compared to the $17,000 the original owner lost buying their car off the lot.

It's never a smart idea to buy a new car, there really is no need for it. If you're dead set on being the first owner of the car, great. But cars are the worst investments anyone can buy because they depreciate so quickly. Save your wallet a beating and just head the used route. Sure you won't be able to customize your car, but if you spend enough time searching for your perfect Mini, you won't regret your decision.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution
I bought a used 2003 MCS for $13,500 in 2009.

I think you got taken advantage there. Sold my in almost perfect condition '06 MC with 6500 miles on it last summer for $16,000 and I was even the first owner. Get a new one and you know you're covered if something is wrong.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 PM
craigea
1st Gear
It just all depends on what you really want out of it all and what you're comfortable giving up to get it. I had my heart set on a Countryman, but I waited, gave it some thought and some time.....until my previous car finally became an inoperable issue...

Then I re-evaluated what I needed/wanted and found a 2010 R56, non-S that I love. It had pretty much everything I wanted, for a price I could work with. Low mileage, great condition, still under warranty. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I love it and can't stop thinking about driving it!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
LEASH
1st Gear
KBB voted MINI's number 1 resale value 9 years in a row. This is a great buy new. MINI's that are only a few years old are selling for close to sticker and especially if they are certified. Keep that in mind.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:18 AM
madmeg
Neutral
I bought an '07 S in January '08. Seemed like the best value way to go then. It is now in the shop with the timing chain issue that is so commonly written about and have had two follow up calls for bad cam and the turbo. I'm up to $3500 in out of warranty repairs on a car with 58,000 open road commuter miles. As a % of new or used car pricing, that's a big hit. I'm selling it back to the dealer. I can't, in good conscience, sell it to someone else when it's a car I won't drive because I don't trust. I loved loved loved having a Mini up until last week. My advice would be to buy new or at least with a warranty.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 AM
ZeR0 EVOlution
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jaque_Mate
I think you got taken advantage there. Sold my in almost perfect condition '06 MC with 6500 miles on it last summer for $16,000 and I was even the first owner. Get a new one and you know you're covered if something is wrong.
Bought it at auction, California cars sell for more than other cars in the US because we have higher emissions standards. It may have seemed like a lot, but similar 03's were selling for $16,750 on average. These are wholesale prices, too. Surprisingly, I got a hell of a deal on it. It's the R53 in my sig.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:22 PM
ualamini
1st Gear
I test drove several used Minis before I decided to buy new. It came down to Mini's repair record (and repair cost) made me nervous. I've owned Hondas and Mazdas, cars that have zilch trouble for at least 90k.
I really preferred a fairly stripped down model, and used Minis with packages I don't care about (didn't seem to be any base models for sale) cost about the same as my build new. And in my area, any used fuel-efficent car is going for premium pricing right now.

In regards to pricing, I think it depends how many dealers you have in the area. There are 4 within a 90 minute drive from me, so I think that helps with negotiating. I'm not much of a negotiator, but I did get less than the MSRP. And since 2012s are coming in, you can probably negotiate on any 2011s left on the lot.

>>What's this $1,575 package discount... please elaborate.<<
If you go to the mini website and look at under the Fine Print details in the Financing section, one of the points is an no-cost package for the Convertible or Clubman ONLY: either the Nav Connect, Premium or Sport.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:52 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents:

If you want to mod, then buy used and do (or re-do) to your taste. Get an '06 - the most refined of the Gen 1's.

If you want to keep it stock, then lease a new one for as near to the same length of the free service period or warranty period, and turn in at the end of that time or before.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM
grakenverb
Neutral
How about a MINI-Next Certified pre-owned? All are under 5 years old with less than 60,000 miles and the warranty is extended to 6 years/100,000 miles.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 AM
GetALife75
1st Gear
Originally Posted by grakenverb
How about a MINI-Next Certified pre-owned? All are under 5 years old with less than 60,000 miles and the warranty is extended to 6 years/100,000 miles.
I second what grakenverb recommended.

If you plan to get an used one, make sure you are covered by warranty! The Mini Next programme will ensure that.

I got my 07 MCS under this scheme & having driven it for only 2 days, the problems started surfacing. And I had to send it back to the dealer in the first week for repairs.

So bottomline is - make sure you are covered!

Last edited by GetALife75; 07-05-2011 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Should we buy new or used