General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Storage Compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Love is Like Oxygen Blue
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Storage Compartment?

Hello fellow MINI Owners!

Thank you for the welcomes as I am new!

I heard from a 2007 MCS owner about the secret compartment and read a thread about it but still have a question. I pushed on the bottom edge as manual said to but did not pop open. There is asterisk in manual as if it's an option so am wondering if regular 2008 (just purchased as used) has the feature or not? The edge beneath vent seemed loose so not sure if I just didn't press it right and am afraid of messing up the trim pressing on it if I don't have the compartment.

Thanks for any help you can provide after you stop laughing at the newbie.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:22 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Love is Like Oxygen Blue
Hello fellow MINI Owners!

Thank you for the welcomes as I am new!

I heard from a 2007 MCS owner about the secret compartment and read a thread about it but still have a question. I pushed on the bottom edge as manual said to but did not pop open. There is asterisk in manual as if it's an option so am wondering if regular 2008 (just purchased as used) has the feature or not? The edge beneath vent seemed loose so not sure if I just didn't press it right and am afraid of messing up the trim pressing on it if I don't have the compartment.

Thanks for any help you can provide after you stop laughing at the newbie.
I'm not sure where you are pushing, the access is located above the Glove Compartment, almost anywhere towards the middle top or middle bottom of the access door should open it. Just remember not to keep pushing, once you've pushed it don't think you will hear anything, you won't, just release the panel and it should open. I just went out and tested it, it opens from the bottom, in other words the bottom part of the access door will open out and up and away...hey, I think that's a Song!!

Congratulations on your O2Blue Baby, make sure to stop in and say "HI" in the Official Oxygen Blue Owners Club!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 06-18-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Love is Like Oxygen Blue
Neutral
How much pressure should I apply? I just pressed it in middle at top and bottom and let go right away, still didn't open. I read that very early 07's didn't have it but all after that should. However, that asterisk in manual makes me wonder if it was an option or only on S models???

Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
PM sent

Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I heard that it wasn't on some early Gen 2 MINIs because it rattled. Once they fixed that it came back. It is there on our May 07 and our May 08 version. When was yours built?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Love is Like Oxygen Blue
Neutral
Compartment opened - thx!

Thanks for the responses! I did finally get it open! In the process, found that Nigel's 3rd birthday is this month, so you can help him celebrate by tooting Happy Birthday on your MINI horns!