General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD Developer/Programmer needed for mobile app

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OBD Developer/Programmer needed for mobile app

Alright so I've been searching all over for a solid and good looking/functioning solution for iPhone/Android that allows MINI (and other cars for that matter) to show OBD info on our phones. From what I gather, Android has a pretty solid app and iPhone has a few that are alright but all of which are $$ and obviously require a Wifi or Bluetooth adapter which also costs $$, bringing a total install to around $150.

So I got to thinking...I am a iPhone/Android developer and have enough knowledge to throw one together in my spare time and make it available to everyone for cheap (~.99) or even free that somewhat community driven for features and design ideas. This would bring gauges and CEL info to anyone with a smart phone and a bluetooth of Wifi OBD adapter for more around $40 instead of $150 and honestly will be pretty awesome I think.

Now, what I need is someone that can do the job of getting the info from those devices (wifi or BT) and allowing me to use them while developing the app. I have found some open source/free solutions but have yet to be able to grasp the concept of using them how I'd like and interfacing it with a mobile device.

Goal here is to make a free and easy to use app for us MINI folk that can show gauges and CELs at the very least and slowly develop support for other cars/features as it progresses.

Again, this hopefully will be free and just a fun side project so hopefully can find the time to help here. If it does end up being a paid application then the profit will obviously will be shared with anyone that helps out. But, for now, lets plan on just a community giving to the community kind of app and anyone who helps can figure things out when that time comes.

For starters I've found some, what seem to be, leads on etting this together but need some help putting it all together.

http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/

http://www.mp3car.com/engine-managem...vb6-class.html

http://www.mp3car.com/engine-managem...not-quite.html

Any help is appreciated and if this isnt an 'allowed' thread on NAM or its in the wrong place please do what it needs to be right. I really want this to be a great project that adds what the MINI is missing...GAUGES!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn. Sounds like a awesome project. Wish I can help but I know nothing about app development and coding.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a great idea, I would want it myself.

alas I no nothing about app development or software programming. I'd like to tho.