General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Babies, Kids, Carseats and MINIs Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 02:30 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bonk him on the head if he tries to sell it. Or better yet, if he's that concerned tell him to ride in the back and the baby in the front

Old 11-01-2005, 02:33 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
That is what MrsDiff and I hope to replace our MINIvan with. But we want out of the appartment and into a single family home first!
Ha, my wife and I have a house, but then the priority becomes, "Let's pay off this stupid mortage before we buy an expensive car." At least for my wife

I've been looking at 325 wagons to replace our daily driver Civic, but the thought of parking one at the store and having people smash their shopping carts into it, and slam their doors into it, etc, has sorta turned me off. If it was just me, it wouldn't matter - I'd park the thing way out there where no one would get near it - but my wife thinks that the occassional door-ding is worth a shorter walk through the parking lot

Old 11-01-2005, 02:34 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fsuscotsman
AGE NINE!?!?!? I've seen nine year olds that were well over five feet tall!!!!

Don't let ShortBus find out. Sheesh, she's smaller than a fourth grader.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Don't let ShortBus find out. Sheesh, she's smaller than a fourth grader.
And sounds even younger!

Old 11-01-2005, 02:38 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Originally Posted by satay-ayam
Ha, my wife and I have a house, but then the priority becomes, "Let's pay off this stupid mortage before we buy an expensive car." At least for my wife
What? like you have a Mercilago, 750iL, Glenade Wagen and a McLarren F1 in your garage to keep the MINI company? Those are expensive cars.

Maybe you ought to find her a $1000 special and make her drive a rolling junkyard for a while!

Old 11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Originally Posted by satay-ayam
I'd park the thing way out there where no one would get near it - but my wife thinks that the occassional door-ding is worth a shorter walk through the parking lot
No matter how far away you park, and take up two spots someone ALWAYS parks next to you. and it's usually the biggest suv (H2 or an expedition) I wanna hurt them

Old 11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
DrDiff
I can just imagine straddling the line at the Indy Airport so MIB doesn't get scratched. Someone will try to get in. Especially the Motorcycle heads

Old 11-01-2005, 03:08 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been called?????

Interesting thread---I saw my name mentioned a few times, as I stumbled upon this thread.

First congrats on being pregnant. Your life will change forever!!! Mostly in a good way. My son who is 19 months old has been in my MINI since pretty much since he was born. Ok, truthfully, I drove our cushy Lexus when bringing sore MOMMY home, but after that, my son has loved motoring in my MINI, to the point that eventually he would say Brrroooom, Brroooom, and MEEENEEEE. Now he says MeeeNeeee Kupaah--thanks to Daddy.

But that's jumping forward a bit. I too was concerned about the safety of my son in the back. Although if you look at the amount of space between rear seat passengers and trunk space in most compact cars, there isn't much room there either. Coupled with the fact that there is very little data supporting whether it's safe or not, it can be frightening.

Let me dispel a couple of myths.

1.) You don't need to be a contortionist just cause there are 2 doors instead of 4. Because the MINI doors open almost 90 degrees, it actually opens wider than most cars--making access even better. Because the front seats slide forward and recline, you will do very well with a travel system for the first 6 months. You can mount the child seat in a few seconds, and remove just as quickly all without hurting your back. It does take a little bit of effort, since it's not as accessible as say an SUV, however the good thing is that the MINI is low, you don't have to lift a heavy baby into the seat like on a much taller car. As your child gets older they will get into and out of the car seat on their own--or atleast help you along the way.

2.) There are no rear facing infant seats on the market that will make life for a person taller than 5'6" comfortable in the passenger seat. They are all big and bulky. Some are smaller than others, but pretty much you will be forced with moving the passenger seat all the way forward. Trust me, life gets much better when he goes forward facing--a lot of room is recovered when that happens. Of course a funny thing also happens...your baby will sleep less because all of a sudden he sees the road ahead, he won't grow tired staring at the seat back in rear facing mode.

3.) Being rear ended will kill my baby. Hmmmm, I suppose that means putting anybody back there including your parents is out of the question? I mean, kids are more flexible that adults are. They get extra padded infant seats, and the MINI is LATCH ready. In fact the LATCH points are much more friendly than many luxury cars. But that's a different subject.

Frankly, when I see a car that's tailgating me, I get out of the way. If my son is back there, I take extra precautions to ensure his safety. Our MINIs are incredibly safe cars and we're fairly lightweight--compared to a 5,000 + pound H3. So far, from the different accidents I've seen, there are stories of MINI survivors and also MINI deaths. Most of the deaths involved collisions at high speeds--90MPH + and the driver/passengers were killed. It doesn't matter whether I'm rear ended or I drive into something. A bigger car affords some protection, but the greater weight and potentially lower handling ability means that you may be forced to drive into a situation that the MINI could have avoided due to its extreme maneuverability.

And trust me, I've seen some amazing Minivan and SUV crashes where those big cars were completely flattened in the collisions. They often times rolled as well. I don't buy the belief that bigger cars are safer.

Finally here in Los Angeles, big cars are my worst enemies on the freeway. They drive slower than everyone else, coupled with cell phones, tv's, newspapers, book reading, and you name it--I'd say be attentive and aware of your surroundings and don't let yourself be in a vulnerable position to begin with. You CAN be a happy parent with a MINI..forget the incredulous look of all those jealous parents and siblings who will make wise cracks that you should trade your MINI for a minivan. They have no idea what they are missing!

Good luck!!

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 11-01-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:35 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Octane Guy took the words out of my mouth - "A bigger car affords some protection (sometimes, and frequently the safety in size an illusion, an assumption we make based on the size), but the greater weight and potentially lower handling ability (and less effective braking) means that you may be forced to drive into a situation that the MINI could have avoided due to its extreme maneuverability."

People often forget the part of the equation and only think about getting into accidents instead of avoiding them. In the Mini you are much better equipped to avoid many types of accidents in the first place (and as its been shown, when cars are involving vs isolating you are much more likely to respond better too), Plus it is a rather well made car with good safety features.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:33 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Heres a big car. F150. Think your safe?

I'll take a mini any day

Old 11-01-2005, 04:44 PM
DrDiff
Originally Posted by fsuscotsman
AGE NINE!?!?!? I've seen nine year olds that were well over five feet tall!!!!
OOPS my bad age 8.

What happened wealthy soccer mommy got hit and her kid who was more than 40 pounds was killed. $$$ got passed to legislaters and PRESTO... in Indiana no matter the weight and size of the kid, they have to be in the back and in a Booster untill they are 8 years of age.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:55 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrDiff
... in Indiana no matter the weight and size of the kid, they have to be in the back and in a Booster untill they are 8 years of age.
That is incredibly dumb. I have met kids that should be in a booster seat (accoriding to their size and weight) until they were 12. I, however, have always been a large person, for goodness sake I was 13lbs and 26" when I was born, and I seriously doubt that I would have fit in a booster seat at the age of 8. Age has nothing to do with it ...not that you don't know this

Old 11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
In the Mini you are much better equipped to avoid many types of accidents in the first place
Sir Alec would be proud!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Interesting thread---I saw my name mentioned a few times, as I stumbled upon this thread.

First congrats on being pregnant. Your life will change forever!!! Mostly in a good way. My son who is 19 months old has been in my MINI since pretty much since he was born. Ok, truthfully, I drove our cushy Lexus when bringing sore MOMMY home, but after that, my son has loved motoring in my MINI, to the point that eventually he would say Brrroooom, Brroooom, and MEEENEEEE. Now he says MeeeNeeee Kupaah--thanks to Daddy.

But that's jumping forward a bit. I too was concerned about the safety of my son in the back. Although if you look at the amount of space between rear seat passengers and trunk space in most compact cars, there isn't much room there either. Coupled with the fact that there is very little data supporting whether it's safe or not, it can be frightening.

Let me dispel a couple of myths.

1.) You don't need to be a contortionist just cause there are 2 doors instead of 4. Because the MINI doors open almost 90 degrees, it actually opens wider than most cars--making access even better. Because the front seats slide forward and recline, you will do very well with a travel system for the first 6 months. You can mount the child seat in a few seconds, and remove just as quickly all without hurting your back. It does take a little bit of effort, since it's not as accessible as say an SUV, however the good thing is that the MINI is low, you don't have to lift a heavy baby into the seat like on a much taller car. As your child gets older they will get into and out of the car seat on their own--or atleast help you along the way.

2.) There are no rear facing infant seats on the market that will make life for a person taller than 5'6" comfortable in the passenger seat. They are all big and bulky. Some are smaller than others, but pretty much you will be forced with moving the passenger seat all the way forward. Trust me, life gets much better when he goes forward facing--a lot of room is recovered when that happens. Of course a funny thing also happens...your baby will sleep less because all of a sudden he sees the road ahead, he won't grow tired staring at the seat back in rear facing mode.

3.) Being rear ended will kill my baby. Hmmmm, I suppose that means putting anybody back there including your parents is out of the question? I mean, kids are more flexible that adults are. They get extra padded infant seats, and the MINI is LATCH ready. In fact the LATCH points are much more friendly than many luxury cars. But that's a different subject.

Frankly, when I see a car that's tailgating me, I get out of the way. If my son is back there, I take extra precautions to ensure his safety. Our MINIs are incredibly safe cars and we're fairly lightweight--compared to a 5,000 + pound H3. So far, from the different accidents I've seen, there are stories of MINI survivors and also MINI deaths. Most of the deaths involved collisions at high speeds--90MPH + and the driver/passengers were killed. It doesn't matter whether I'm rear ended or I drive into something. A bigger car affords some protection, but the greater weight and potentially lower handling ability means that you may be forced to drive into a situation that the MINI could have avoided due to its extreme maneuverability.

And trust me, I've seen some amazing Minivan and SUV crashes where those big cars were completely flattened in the collisions. They often times rolled as well. I don't buy the belief that bigger cars are safer.

Finally here in Los Angeles, big cars are my worst enemies on the freeway. They drive slower than everyone else, coupled with cell phones, tv's, newspapers, book reading, and you name it--I'd say be attentive and aware of your surroundings and don't let yourself be in a vulnerable position to begin with. You CAN be a happy parent with a MINI..forget the incredulous look of all those jealous parents and siblings who will make wise cracks that you should trade your MINI for a minivan. They have no idea what they are missing!

Good luck!!
Fantastic Post. Amen.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
menace
1st Gear
Reading the posts in this thread. I can't help but remember the "good old days" before seatbelts, let alone baby seats. The four kids in our family slept in our Dodge Dart's floor wells and on the back window shelf on long trips. But back to present reality, it seems there have been plenty of good arguments to keep PPE.

Congrats and good luck.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:06 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
There are so many misconceptions about safety. People think bigger cars - expecially mini-vans and suvs, are "safer." They are not safer. They get in more accidents because they are big, hard to control, targets. They roll over because of the high center of gravity. The people who drive them are often bad drivers who have a false sense of security in their isolation from the road.

There is no such thing as a safe car. The most important thing is to drive defensively. Having a properly installed car seat is very important too - more important than the car you're driving. I wonder how many unconscious Volvo owners (they, along with big SUV drivers, seem to be the worst drivers in my personal experience) have their car seat installed incorrectly. I suspect many of them do. And then there are the idiots who insist that it's safer to drive without wearing seatbelts. Urghhh.

Make sure the seatbelt is tight and the seat is properly installed. Pull the seatbelt all the way out, and let it go back in so it's tight and fixed. If it's not fixed, the seat will fly all over the place. Don't drive holding a cell-phone to your ear, or putting on lipstick, etc.. Watch the traffic around you, and try always to have an "escape route" if something bad happens. Avoid driving behind cars you can't see around. Don't follow too closely, and let the *******s who tailgate pass. Always remember that driving is dangerous and requires care and attention. You're much better off diriving carefully in a mini than driving obliviously in a mini-van or suv. Remember, the mini is a smaller target with outstanding road control. The car has been well designed for safety. Yes, it would probably be better to be in a Winnebego than a mini if you get rear ended because there is more room to absorb the energy of the crash. But there are zillions of possible other accident combinations in which a mini would be better. And if the car seat is improperly installed, your baby has a good chance of dying while flying arouond the inside of the winnebego. I've heard something like 40% of car seats are not installed properly. Your baby is like an egg. If it flies around the car, it will get cracked. If it's securely tied to the seat, it has the best chance of surviving an accident in any car.

FWIW, I don't think twice about having my six year old driving in the back of my mini. I think it's a very safe car when driven correctly.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:29 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by menace
it seems there have been plenty of good arguments to keep PPE.

Congrats and good luck.
EEH Gads! I am afraid you misread something along the way! It is not ME that is with child-keeping PPE is not the issue-it is another NAM member-scroll to the first post to see her name!(Heaven forbid Yucca see this and stroke out!! )

Old 11-01-2005, 06:31 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
Heaven forbid Yucca see this and stroke out!!
No kidding....that would be quite a shock!

Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
No kidding....that would be quite a shock!
I already had my sister and mom calling me all up in arms cause I sent my brother in law an email asking about MINI child safety!! You should have heard them!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Driving_Hamster
5th Gear
Congrats on the pregnancy! I started the thread Woops...Got some girl pregnant when my wife and I found out that we are expecting also. You will find lots of useful information in that thread about car seats and a whole lot more.

As far as our situation, we are going to be buying another car that is larger and with AWD. We are going to hang onto the Mini though. Once the baby is old enough to ride facing forward in the car seat I am going to take him/her motoring. I understand your reservations about the safety of the Mini in this particular instance. I however do not have an evidenced based answer for you. Would I personally feel safe with my child back there? Yes I would. Would I like a bigger car for transporting to and fro? Yes I would. That's just my $0.02.

Again, congratulations!

Old 11-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Even I got concerned when PurplePeopleEater emailed me today asking about safety of infants in the back of a MINI!

Congratulations to the real pregnant MINI wife!

From what I have read here over the past few years, some people are able to do quite nicely with one child/infant in a MINI. If you learn to pack your MINI the way a hiker packs his backpack with the essential lightweight and compact items, I think it is very "do-able". Still, it would be hard to take the child to the grocery store and do errands with the limited space. . . .

Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
I already had my sister and mom calling me all up in arms cause I sent my brother in law an email asking about MINI child safety!! You should have heard them!!!!!!!!!
Hey! Your twin had a baby...what's the big surprise!? :impatient

Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by classpro
Your baby is like an egg. If it flies around the car, it will get cracked.
Ha! Brilliantly said!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Batgirl555
1st Gear
Congrats! I have no links to post (everyone else has pretty much pulled all the links off the net there are to pull), but I can tell you, I put my god-daughter in the back of my mini always and feel TOTALLY confident in it. She's 9 months old and loves to go in the Mini! Her dad was really against me taking Jassie the first time in Tony, but once I strapped her in and had him go around the block with me to demonstrate it's not a death trap like he likes to think (his 78 mazda is!), and it's just as good if not better than his wife's Saturn, he was totally kosher with her going riding with me. We love to motor. The worst part for sure is dealing with the rear facing child seat, but the travel systems are a god send!
Congrats again!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:52 PM
iyellow
2nd Gear
Congratulations WannaMini! I've wondered how you and Dobby (and the other MayDayers) were doing. It's great to hear that you've got a little one on the way....

But, NOOOOOOO!! You can't get rid of Dobby ! Pig is getting a little brother or sister in two months (eek!), and we've done a good bit of research. All baby gear has been chosen by its ability to fit in/work with the MINI. Although I've not seen any published data, I'm confident in the MINIs ability to keep Junior safe, and we can't wait to take him or her motoring :smile: . Heck, the plan is to bring the baby home from the hospital in Pig.

Talk to your hubby--show him all the responses from people with kids. I'll keep my eyes open for more concrete info as well.

And as far as baby gear goes, check out the Phil and Ted's E3 stroller. Way cool, AND it fits in the boot .

Oh, and one more thing to tell you--as I get bigger, it's getting harder and harder to get in and out of Pig--but I'm managing.

CONGRATS again

Quick Reply: The Official Babies, Kids, Carseats and MINIs Thread