General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Babies, Kids, Carseats and MINIs Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kbmeow
WHile the graco stroller fits in the boot with nothing else ( it is the one that the car seat latches into. ) I am hoping to get a smaller stroller. Anyone have a decent 5 point harness stroller. That is small for the boot?
Check out the Quinny Zapp. Ain't cheap, but it folds down really small. Very maneuverable as well. Our kiddo's 3 now so doesn't use a stroller anymore, but I loved that thing when we had to use one.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 AM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just switched to convertible seats for our twins. Recaro fits nicely. Since a cop friend of ours informed us children should remain rear facing as long as possible (even up to 5 years), these seats should last.

Highly recommend WHATEVER seats people go with, to take a quick stop over to any local police or fire dept to have a professions fit the seat properly.

Attached Thumbnails The Official Babies, Kids, Carseats and MINIs Thread-image.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 07:58 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO, if they're in an actual seat and not in a detachable carrier, they should be forward facing.

That being said, I've got a 09' Clubman S and I take my two to and from day care everyday. The clubman door is awesome.

My 4.5 year old is in a plain booster behind the driver and my 16 month old is in a forward facing Graco Nautilus. With the clubman door he's right there and its easy to get him in an out.

Now, after a late night of fireworks on the fourth of July, my 4 year old was sacked out in her seat and my wife was trying to get her out from the club door side. That was a chore, lol!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Originally Posted by broncobuddha
IMHO, if they're in an actual seat and not in a detachable carrier, they should be forward facing.
Broncobuddha, why do you think they should be foreword facing, when the AAP, and NHTSA recommend at least of age 2?
Especially since a lot of child seats (convertible) can be used as little as 5lbs.

Here's something that may interest you...
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-long...at_10348811.bc

Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
That's a new rule. And enough study hasn't been done obviously to cause a change in the actual law.

Of course, I'm from a time where we weren't strapped in at all.

Theses seats nowadays are literally racing harnesses which keep them pretty snugged in as long as the seat is installed correctly and the harness is positioned and tightened correctly on the child.

Unfortunately, rear facing seats in most cars are a huge inconvenience. It's one thing to reach in and detach an actual carrier from a base, but I can't fathom trying to wrestle a child out of a 5 point harness that's facing rearward.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
I'll take the "inconvenience" of rear facing, knowing my children are safer. Studies show that a child under age 2 is 75% less likely to die or incur a serious injury in a rear-facing seat. While, yes, these seats do have a superb restraint system, a child's neck isn't strong enough to support the head in the event of a crash. If it was too much of an inconvenience, I'd much sooner trade my MINI in for a sedan.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Another use for a hatch-mounted bike rack, we hooked on our double stroller. Fits securely.

Attached Thumbnails The Official Babies, Kids, Carseats and MINIs Thread-image.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 09:34 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Sorry if this has been addressed, but this is a loong thread, with lots of information (not always relevant too).

For those with rear facing seats, how are you getting the child in? Are you crawling back there with them, or are you able to drop them into the seat and buckle them up just by sliding the front seat forward?

Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Originally Posted by robotrock
Sorry if this has been addressed, but this is a loong thread, with lots of information (not always relevant too).

For those with rear facing seats, how are you getting the child in? Are you crawling back there with them, or are you able to drop them into the seat and buckle them up just by sliding the front seat forward?
We slide in throught the boot. I've heard some put one of the seats down and reach around. But having 2 (13month olds) we go through the "dip" between the 2 rear headrests. They get a kick out of getting back there, and love crawling out.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Striped Toad
We slide in throught the boot. I've heard some put one of the seats down and reach around. But having 2 (13month olds) we go through the "dip" between the 2 rear headrests. They get a kick out of getting back there, and love crawling out.
Thanks! I've been experimenting with different ways to get her in and out of her seat before I switch from the click-in to the stationary convertible seat. Right now I have a spare tire in the unused seat, making it impossible to drop the seat back down, but I'll see about going over the top.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:38 PM
LittleBlackBug
2nd Gear
We have a one year old and a four year old. The one year old is rear facing behind the driver, four year old forward facing behind the passenger. We put baby in first, with me sitting in forward facing seat while buckling. Then lean in to pit four year old in.

Previously, we had four year old rear facing behind the driver and baby in bucket behind passenger. We would buckle four year old in with me sitting on base in rear passenger seat then dropping infant seat in place.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:34 PM
aequorea
Neutral
middle seat install?

We (suddenly, tragically) need to replace our '07 Cooper, and tried out the 4-door yesterday. We loved it, but my husband is superstitious about buying the 1st year of a model, and we weren't planning to buy a new car...

The thing is, my daughter's forward-facing Britax fit GREAT in the middle seat -- which is by far the safest place for it (and we lost the '07 in a side collision, during which she was FF'g behind the passenger seat. So I'm understandably skittish). We also had her Orbit (when she was a RF'g infant) installed in the middle of the '07, but I understand that many years' models now have a really large hump there. My Mini's was flat, but we never even thought to try a middle install... wasn't till after the crash that I read up on safety stuff.

So -- does anyone out there know if it is possible to install a FF carseat in the middle of a Cooper? Any year? (Not a Countryman or Paceman... just not interested in those ). TIA!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:05 PM
LittleBlackBug
2nd Gear
I don't think its allowed. You have to use one of the two passenger seats, you can't span between the two.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:12 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
No middle mounting on the non 4-door MINIs. No latch for it, no suitable belt for the harness. And frankly, just no room.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:58 PM
ngh007
Neutral
Infant car seat in F56s

Hello - newbie here
We recently bought a F56s / 2015 Mini Cooper S (4door), and shortly after found out that we are expecting. Which is super exciting, but not we need to find out which infant car seat can fit in there. Hopefully one which can then go into a stroller, etc. I would love any suggestions - we've Googled plenty, but havent had much luck in identifying which car seats fit.
Appreciate any advice we can get!

Old 12-08-2017, 05:10 PM
LittleBlackBug
2nd Gear
Hi! I'm a MINI owner, mom of two and a car seat tech. I have a document that might be a good start. Can you PM me your email address and I'll send it your way? Also, if you have a Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby nearby, both usually you try seats in your car before buying.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:06 PM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Surprised by this double stroller

Just picked up a ZOE XL2 BEST v2 double stroller. I had no idea it would fit the my R56. Similar to the Britax B-Agile single stroller, it only fits without the rear shelf.