General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bra over stripes or under?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 AM
hbSean
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra over stripes or under?

So I have a appointment Thursday to get a clear bra installed and I'm not sure if I should take off the stripes, seeing as if I wanted to take them off later I would have to replace the clear bra.

Would it be wise to replace them after the clear bra install?

Sean

Old 01-12-2011, 05:37 AM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you put the clear bra on top of the stripes you will accumulate dirt at the top of the clear bra along the stripes that will be impossible to remove

Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 AM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hbSean
So I have a appointment Thursday to get a clear bra installed and I'm not sure if I should take off the stripes, seeing as if I wanted to take them off later I would have to replace the clear bra.

Would it be wise to replace them after the clear bra install?

Sean
You'll surely get many different replies, but here's mine.

Q: Are you putting the clear bra over the entire bonnet or only part of it?

If you LOVE your stripes and don't have any plans on removing them in the next 5 years or so...AND you are planning on putting clear bra over the entire bonnet, you would want to have the stripes under the clear bra.

The UV protection provided by the clear bra will help your stripes remain true-to-color. Keep in mind that if your stripes have any discoloration or pitting, it will be trapped under the clear bra, so you will want to make sure your stripes are as clean as possible.

If you are only putting the clear bra on part of the bonnet, you run the risk of getting a nasty dirt accumulation/staining where the horizontal edge of the clear bra ends. I've seen MINIs with this setup and the clear bra becomes VERY obvious. On the flipside, the MINIs that I've seen with the full bonnet clear bra over the stripes...you can't really tell the clear bra is there.

Good luck!

Oh...and share before/after pics!

EDITED TO ADD:

If you are already considering replacing the stripes...AND you're doing full bonnet, replace the stripes at the same time and put the clear bra over them. Your clear bra installer should be able to do the stripes at the same time.

If you are doing partial bonnet clear bra, there will be a DEFINITE seam where the stripe goes from being "on" the clear bra to being directly on the paint. It's not a pretty look.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
In the long run, I would have some concerns of how the clear bra would react to the vinyl....bonding and longevity wise. The adheasive on the 3M clear was probably designed to be bonded to the painted surface of an automobile.

And as far as I know, the clear bra material of today far exceeds the quality of earlier years. So much so, I would bet the clear bra would last longer than the OEM vinyl stripes......

If they go under, be prepared to then spend a ton of extra money to have it all done all over again should they need to be replaced.

Stripes are maybe $99.00 for the set and can be installed by yourself for free.

Clear bra protectant on the other hand needs to be installed by a professional and costs what, $400.00+ for bonnet / bumper ?

If it were me, stripes over clear bra. Less permanent, same effect, and money possibly saved later on for other mods

Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Atomic #47
If you put the clear bra on top of the stripes you will accumulate dirt at the top of the clear bra along the stripes that will be impossible to remove

I disagree. I have the clear bra over my stripes and I have never, ever, had that problem. I generally wash my car every week, but even the few times that I have had to skip a washing, there was never dirt like that.

Personally, I would not like the clear bra under my stripes. Even though I don't think I would ever change my stripes (until they need it, that is), I don't think I would like to see the minor bump that the clear bra would leave under the stripe. I know that the bump would be very small, and almost invisible to see from just a glance, but it seems like that small bump would drive me crazy. I love the look of my smooth black stripes on the bonnet.

The only downside to my having the clear bra over the stripes is that in a few years, there is a chance that the top of my black stripes will appear more faded than the lower half which is covered by the clear bra. But I figured that if that happens, I will just replace the stripes with new ones, and get a new clear bra for the bonnet at the same time. Not a big deal to me. Having the clear bra over the stripes protects that lower portion of the stripes from road dings.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Answer is it can be done both ways. If going under the bra you should do whole hood. I hate the line when not doing whole hood plus you always end up getting chips higher on the hood anyway so the protection helps. If you think in the future you will change your stripes put them over the top. You can peal them later if yo want to change. You will most likely need to cover the same area again with new stripes. Not go from Bonnet strips to Viper.
I am doing Black Black stripes and they must go over the top or you will lose the gloss. He started doing mine last night and sent me a picture. I want red only on the out side of the viper stripes and he did the traditional inside an outside leaving for 1/2 red stripes on the hood and I only wanted 2 and thinner if possible for just a little red accent. We talked he said it looked off the hook but not my vision I wanted a set up nobody has and a bit different.
He went back to the shop and peeled them off before they completely dried.
he just did the hood and not all the little parts and back. I told him I would cover the time and materials for the change as a week had passed since we talked. Miss communication. He is sending pic this morning of the hood with just the outside and1 /4 to 3/16 this time. Glad he pulled them last night.
Sometimes they can mess up the clear under them when you pull them.

Also if you are clearing the hood you need a good detail and clay bar to get out all the crap in and on the paint. Yo do not want that under the clear.
Whole hood is the only way to go. I have part on my Maerati and hate seeing the line. Catches dirt too. I seen whole hood on Black 911 and you could not tell it had a bra it was that good. My guy made a custom one piece for the front end. Kit for 2011 JCW does not exist yet. Other detailer was liek when are doing the front. He was like it is already done. With no cuts or seems
yo have no idea it had a cle bra on it. This guys are top notch. Mainly deal with Exotics.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stripes are on top of the clear bra. And I prefer it that way. Why? I liked the stripes when I got the car and now 2 years later I do not like them and want to put something different on the car. If they were under the clear bra I would be stuck.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Exactly onefish. They just texted me a pic of the new stripes on my car. It looks sick! I can not wait to pick it up tonight. Came out exactly how I thought it would. 4 was way to much red on the front. I am glad he went back and peeled them of the Clear bra last night.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Bruinjustin
2nd Gear
Couple questions: how long does clear bra last?
If I would cover the whole vehicle including wind shield, what would be the price I would be looking at in general?
Thanks.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
I vote for bra under stripes.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
1300 to 1500 is about right for the whole front end , A pillers, boot load area,
mirrors etc. No need on the rockers because it is all plastic. 800 to 900 if you do just the lower portion of the hood. You can not use it on the windscreen because the wipers will stratch it. There is a brand new product that is for that purpose only and it runs 300 and will not scratch blah, blah blah. I got it for 200 with all my other items. If there is an issue they will take care of it.

It should last the life of the car. It is waxed like the rest of the car. If you let it go to long without care they begin to yellow and if left you can not get it back. My Maserati has been on for 5years andI think I am the first to detail the car. It has turned a bit but the protection is awesume. I might go whole hood on it eventually. Have it on my rockers ont hat car and it saves the paint.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
oldtruckpainter
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I picked up my car from the dealer they had the bonnet stripes on, but forgot the clear bra. I left it there overnight and they installled the clear bra in three pieces. So it does not cover the stripes nor go under them.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
Interesting. Lots of ways to get it done.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
hbSean
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the replies!

I think Im going to have him take them off and get new ones later, But Im still not sure if I want to go full bonnet..

Cost for half bonnet(about 4" past the scoop) and lights/bumper is $550 Or full bonnet for $850...

So I guess Ill have to think if its worth the extra $300+ for the rest of the hood.

Decisions.. Decisions....

;)

Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Project Mangler
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oldtruckpainter
When I picked up my car from the dealer they had the bonnet stripes on, but forgot the clear bra. I left it there overnight and they installled the clear bra in three pieces. So it does not cover the stripes nor go under them.
Mine is the same. Kind of pissed me off at first, but after 16 months I'm OK with it. No bumps from the stripe going over the bra, it's good.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
New stripes over clear bra

Attached Thumbnails Clear bra over stripes or under?-mini-stripes-1.jpg