General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My gripes are minor - I'm most annoyed by the factory runflat tires (ride like crap, have poor traction, and don't last long) and the door checks that don't hold the doors open on anything but perfectly flat ground.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My only real complaint so far is that when lowering/raising wet windows they squeak. People keep asking what is wrong with my car, it's kind of embarrassing.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisinmd
Not really hate, just annoying:

Drip off roof when raining or after wash.
Cup holders nearly useless.
Armrest lid won't stay closed.
No switches for back windows. Have to put all windows down and then raise the front ones. Only way to go when using sunroof function.
Wish it had just a bit more oomph. And don't tell me to go buy an S. I am retired on limited income and could barely afford to buy this one used with a lot of miles on it.

2008 Justa Cabrio CVT Melo Yelo
Dennis in Maryland
The Krusty Old Phart
Part of your problem may be the CVT...

Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisinmd
Not really hate, just annoying:

Drip off roof when raining or after wash.
Cup holders nearly useless.
Armrest lid won't stay closed.
No switches for back windows. Have to put all windows down and then raise the front ones. Only way to go when using sunroof function.
Wish it had just a bit more oomph. And don't tell me to go buy an S. I am retired on limited income and could barely afford to buy this one used with a lot of miles on it.

2008 Justa Cabrio CVT Melo Yelo
Dennis in Maryland
The Krusty Old Phart
Not sure I understand this one. Your 2008 is still an R52 (first gen), right? There are dedicated switches on the header bar just for the rear windows.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI*8R
It's happening on my '11 S with the built in adapter under the toggles. My possible work around is to scramble the songs in iTunes, sync it, and just play without using the random mode in the car. But, I am just curious if others are experiencing this phenomena and if it can be fixed.
Not, not happening with my 11S using IPhone 3GS

Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 AM
greentimemachine
2nd Gear
When I shut my door it pinches and holds the seatbelt buckle hostage.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Chili_head
2nd Gear
...That people call it cute.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the 03' JCW MCS that I picked up a few weeks ago is the rough as hell ride. When these tires are worn out....I'm going with something other than the rock hard runflats!!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
1. The sunroof is not 1 touch

2. And this is something that probably won't happen. I wish they offered a version of the clubman with out rear seats.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Stangace20
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Not sure I understand this one. Your 2008 is still an R52 (first gen), right? There are dedicated switches on the header bar just for the rear windows.
first gen stops at 2006, 2007+ is 2nd gen

Originally Posted by bumgardnern
it sort of is, I belive you just have to push up and either back or forward. Depending if you're opening or closing it.

Can't remember exactly since I usually just crack the sunroof by pushing up, and it's too late at night for me to go check,lol

Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 AM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
@Stangace20 I have a 2008 Clubman and you have to press the button the full time for it to open or close. Even to crack it it is not one touch to crack. A lot of times you press it to crack and it wants to not crack all the way or it starts to open... On our other car it is push up once to crack, back once to open etc... The side windows on our Mini work the way they are supposed to.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bumgardnern

2. And this is something that probably won't happen. I wish they offered a version of the clubman with out rear seats.
Or you could just perform a Rear Seatectomy...

Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM
wileenreber
2nd Gear
1. not as 'zippy' as my old 2006 cooper was...

2. headrests are literally a pain in the neck. Why are they tilted front so far. maybe this is great for those who like to "recline" while driving, but i like to sit up pretty straight due to low back problems. this is a REAL pain in the neck.

if I could take them out and turn them backwards, it would be soooo much better, but the darn things dont come out!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Stangace20
first gen stops at 2006, 2007+ is 2nd gen
For the hardtop, the convertible 1st gen lived on a little longer.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Btwyx
For the hardtop, the convertible 1st gen lived on a little longer.
Yup - up through the 2008 model year, if memory serves me right.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I hate that mine have ALTA parts on them.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wileenreber
1. not as 'zippy' as my old 2006 cooper was...

2. headrests are literally a pain in the neck. Why are they tilted front so far. maybe this is great for those who like to "recline" while driving, but i like to sit up pretty straight due to low back problems. this is a REAL pain in the neck.

if I could take them out and turn them backwards, it would be soooo much better, but the darn things dont come out!
Good point. I like to lean back a bit more, but I still wish the headrests had some form of fore-aft adjustment. I would say that is the most uncomfortable thing about the car.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 AM
CausticOne
1st Gear
I've read 75% of this thread, my MINI is on a boat over here and I almost want to cry that I bought this MINI.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CausticOne
I've read 75% of this thread, my MINI is on a boat over here and I almost want to cry that I bought this MINI.
Seriously?? This thread is very negative. Go read the other topics that deal with the joy of owning a MINI. Had mine 7 mos. and LOVE EVERYTHING about her!!!! Now get OUT of this thread, it is meant for the complainers!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM
ballandchain
4th Gear
You will change your mind once you get it. When I first got my 09 MCS I found this site and the negative comments made me a little scared to drive my car. After 2 years of ownership I can say that this car is awesome. While I did have a few problems early on, all where known problems, I have had ZERO problems. Use this site as a reference tool as opposed to seeking out negative comments.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't panic.

Many of the things noted here are subjective. One headrest is awesome for one person while for the next it's a quite literal headache. Sunroof sticking, rattles, yadda yadda yadda...don't go in biased when you head to take delivery.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
ballandchain
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Now get OUT of this thread, it is meant for the complainers!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We have 2 Mini's, a 2008 Justa that I traded a 2004 Honda Accord coupe for, and a 2011 Hardtop S that I traded a 2006 Acura TSX. Both cars were my two most favorite cars I've owned. While I have not had any serious problems YET with either Mini I plan on getting rid of both of them in the next 2 months. Sure they are fun to drive and get great gas mileage, but owning them is like having an axe hanging over your head waiting for something to go wrong. I'll be going back to either an Acura or Lexus for the peace of mind and more intuitive controls.

Anyone interested in a 2011 Mini S with 6 speed, premium package, cold weather package, Mini connected, anthracite headliner, in Eclipse Grey with 1400 miles, in the Sacramento area? Or 2008 Chili Red with black top, auto, heated seats, foglights, ipod connector, 18,000 miles.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
leco
1st Gear
I'm a brand new MINI owner (2008 Clubman S with 39,000 miles) and I have subscribed to this thread for the past 8 months. I realized after my first test drive that I was hooked but I wanted to really understand what the "bad" is about MINI's. The truth is there are a number of known issues that you should be able to have taken care of under warranty and each car may have it's own individual issues.

If you're buying brand new (which is sounds like you are), you are fully covered for practically all out of pocket for 3 years, 36,000 miles plus the warranty. Beyond that you'll have a good sense of how your car is and you can decide whether to keep it or drop it.

I know from my first week of driving my MINI, I'm in love. I've never driven a street legal machine that provided this much fun for the dollars. Just to provide some context, my second choice was a Lexus IS-350, third choice was an Acura TSX.

Percy

Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
I worried as well, but once all my fellow worriers get their car, it will become crystal clear that most of the complaints are extreme hyperbole, or just simple nonsense at best.

I could list countless examples from this thread alone, but the most recent about the headrest being a problem is entirely ridiculous. It's gripes like that that make me wonder if people actually drive their car or just sit around looking at it trying to find things to worry about. Let's not make a huge issue out of a non-factor...

Seriously, don't worry, it will exceed your expectations, I guarantee you.
j

Quick Reply: What You Hate Most about Your Mini???