General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:12 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
Just yanking yer chain, Rusty. Before I moved to Hell's Forge, I grew up in New Jersey.

I remember once back in '87 coming around Trenton on I-295 just as the rain was turning to slush. I felt the car get a little "squidgy" and eased up on the gas only to have the back end of the car break loose, leaving me rolling at 60 MPH backwards down the interstate. I grinned and waved at the poor guy in the little Toyota pickup who was tailgating me when it happened. He looked like the guy in that famous Munch painting - eyes bugged out and mouth agape in horror - and I bet he had to change his skivvies when he got home....

C ya,
Dutch
Thanks, Dutch, that made me laugh out loud hope all survived that terrifying scenario

Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
Started up Smacky in the garage for a few mins. Haven't been using the MINI for a few weeks now because of the annoying clunks in the front suspension. Might have time next week to get the new parts in.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Dutch's story reminded me of a friend's story.

Said friend lived up in the hills, and drove a little pickup truck. He was heading uphill one day, and got stuck behind a blue-haired couple in some old 70s Buick or some such who would not go faster than 15 MPH. Narrow, twisty roads with limited sight-lines make for very few passing opportunities, and he was unable to get around them for a couple of miles.

Finally, they got to a section where my friend could see across one valley to a further section of the same road. He kept an eye on that so he could tell if any traffic was in-bound. There was one spot that had a wide shoulder on the outside, and my friend decided to use that for passing.

Did I mention the shoulder was dirt, not pavement? And that it was on the outside of a blind corner?

So he knows there is no traffic coming, and he gets to the part with the shoulder and pulls off to the side, and guns it. He starts to lose traction, and the back of the truck starts to fishtail to the outside. The road starts curving at this point, and he steers into it and stays on the throttle (to avoid going off the shoulder down into the valley). The truck keeps rotating until its nose points straight at the car, while power-sliding sideways and even accelerating! The blue-hairs had eyes about THIIIIIIIIS BIG.

The road started to straighten out, and the truck stopped rotating. He caught the slide, still accelerating, got pointed the right direction and was off down the road in front of the other car.

He said that it scared the crap out of him at the time, but it sure is a good story to tell years later...

Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Guess I should say, what my Mini did for me today. Took a little road trip to Mini of Pensacola to see my friends in the sales and service department. While I was there I did pick up a gallon of anti-freeze. $29.17 per gallon, they must think this stuff is gold. Oh well. Don't need it right now but like to have some mixed up at 50/50 just in case.
Anyway, enjoyable ride and nice to get the little s___t out on the highway once and awhile.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 AM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
I registered and had it state inspected and put on the new plates.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
Thanks, Dutch, that made me laugh out loud hope all survived that terrifying scenario
Well, I survived to tell the tale.

History does not relate about the poor Toyota guy's skivvies....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
grmncrsnbr
2nd Gear
Ordered my rear seat delete with grommets, some replacement clips and plugs for all the broken ones, power steering fan guard and new trunk handle since the license plate light contacts on mine are all sorts of corroded.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:17 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Kept her warm and the SNOW off of her.... She's still real young ya know!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
SimTechDJ
3rd Gear
Installed NGK BKR7E #4644 V-Power plugs this morning before work. .035 gap

Probably going to close the gap to .030 or .032 though... just a hunch but already runs smoother than the JCW (BKR7EQUP) #4285 that had been in there!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
motor12
3rd Gear
Installed my driving light brackets i got from VIP customs and they fit perfect. The quality of these brackets is first class. Tomorrow i am going to install the PIAA 540 lights. It's amazing how simple an install is when you have the correct parts...

Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
Originally Posted by motor12
Installed my driving light brackets i got from VIP customs and they fit perfect. The quality of these brackets is first class. Tomorrow i am going to install the PIAA 540 lights. It's amazing how simple an install is when you have the correct parts...
Can't wait to see. My hella 500s are on the way. Along with Magnaflow muffler and tips! Boom boom!

Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by grmncrsnbr
Ordered my rear seat delete with grommets, some replacement clips and plugs for all the broken ones, power steering fan guard and new trunk handle since the license plate light contacts on mine are all sorts of corroded.
Ugh that happened on my previous non-MINI car... rear licence lights corroded every one to two years. I found replacing the light module and putting dialectic grease (like for spark plugs) around the interior side would help. Not sure if MINIs are so prone to this issue though.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I'm lovin' the terrifying driving stories! I've got one, but it'll have to wait - gotta run!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM
grmncrsnbr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
Ugh that happened on my previous non-MINI car... rear licence lights corroded every one to two years. I found replacing the light module and putting dialectic grease (like for spark plugs) around the interior side would help. Not sure if MINIs are so prone to this issue though.
Not a bad I dea although considering this car has 110K on the clock and a lot of that was from taking trips to the north east the corrosion really isnt too bad just needs to be replaced.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
got an ALTA stealth catback exhaust and had it installed today...liking the sound, and of course, car feels better than stock. the muffler shop I took it to accidentally or stupidly cut from where the cat began I decided to just leave it off and I'm actually liking it.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
cereal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBOL
got an ALTA stealth catback exhaust and had it installed today...liking the sound, and of course, car feels better than stock. the muffler shop I took it to accidentally or stupidly cut from where the cat began I decided to just leave it off and I'm actually liking it.
Wouldn't you be worried about your next emissions check?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cereal
Wouldn't you be worried about your next emissions check?
Not really. I have a place to take it to and I kept the cat so I can always have it put back on.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Put the brand new license plates on the car!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Set of Kumho Ecsta 4X's. LOVING them!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cereal
Got my Light in Sight (finally decided my neck needed a break) and after re-reading the instructions figured out the SMOOTH side goes against the windshield (sometimes I'm a bit of a dummy). Anyways, I am a happy motorer who can now see the traffic lights when I pull up nearly under neath them!
I'm with ya' Cereal!! I'm not sure who is smarter the Light in Sight, or the piece of paper the instructions were printed on...it certainly wasn't ME!!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
lining up a bunch of parts for eurowerks 6 next year
also looking for silk green in a rattle can

Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 AM
christomapher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gds194
Kept her warm and the SNOW off of her.... She's still real young ya know!
Hey, GDS, do you have more photos of your car? I am intrigued about the color and look... If you've already posted in "please post pictures of your car", feel free to link me.

Thanks!
Chris

Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Ordered lumbar parts to retrofit on my leatherette seats. Can't wait but nervous about the install

Finally washing the car tonight for the first time. Weather is clearing up and power washer is fixed. I have thick brake dust on the rims and I have brake dust sprayed all along the front fender and front doors!

I started noticing how many factory cars have 'fake' exhaust tips these days. Little pee shooter exhaust tips with massive chrome shaped things attached to the bumpers. The I realized another positive of the factory JCW, you get big fat tips whereas the JCW kit get a sort of exhaust finisher. I wonder if most people even notice this sort of thing since they sit so high up in their cars (or they are too busy texting, putting on makeup, etc).

Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 PM
gloomchen
3rd Gear
Got the paint sealed and heavy waxed for winter at a local euro exotics shop. While waiting, got to gawk at Ferraris and Lambos and Bentleys and Jags and Aston Martins, etc... yet my Coupe got the most attention from the staff.

They also informed me that they do car washes all winter. All by hand, no high pressure or machines, fresh mitts/towels on each car... I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM
gds194
4th Gear
A mild day on Berry Lane.... install the Integral Sub-woofer! What a great product!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?