General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know will be just as bad...

Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 PM
MCLove
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know will be just as bad...

So, I just have to share this story-because I got such a kick out of watching this happen today at the Woodburn Mall.

My boyfriend and I rode to the mall with some friends of ours today, and we parked out in the very back of the parking lot. Right in front of my eyes was a very beautiful PW/PW MINI Cooper.

I sat there admiring it for a minute, and saw this middle-aged man walk up to it. We thought he was just walking past it to go to his own car, but no-he walked up to the driver's side window, looked in and just casually walked up to the front end, looked down to see how close the MINI was to the curb and then started walking back towards the mall. I figured he was just looking at the MINI and thought how random it was to see him come walking from across the parking lot to look at it. (even though I would have walked out of my way just to walk past one too... I just didn't think others were as weird as me!)

Then he reaches in his pocket and starts messing with something, and you could tell that something wasn't working like he wanted-whatever he was messing with. So he starts walking back to the MINI and pulls out his remote just to make sure it's locked. He had bags in his hands from shopping so he obviously had been parked and in the mall for more than 10 minutes. I just thought, "wow, he must REALLY love that MINI.", to come all the way out to it in the back of the parking lot just to check on it.

Then everyone in the truck said, "Wow, Carlee...That's going to be you! You will stop shopping just to go check on your MINI!".

I will admit-I'm not ashamed to say that they are probably right!

Then, to end the shopping trip on a good note-I see a beautiful Sparkling Silver MCS with black bonnet stripes in the lot. I oogled and googled over it and craned my neck and looked at it till it was out of sight, as my boyfriend is dragging me towards the truck... And it had Washington license plates, which warmed my heart!

It was a good day!

Old 03-28-2009, 03:14 PM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Nice! I felt like that when i first got mine.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had mine for over three years, and the feeling is still there.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait until your Mom is stalking other people's MINIs for you... Then you KNOW it's bad LOL!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
MCLove
1st Gear
haha I WISH my mom would stalk other MINI's for me! Both of my parents are so against MINI's! It makes me sad...

I guess they launched the new convertibles at NW MINI today, I have a friend from highschool that works in the service department. He said there was quite the turnout! Oh, how I wish I could have been there...

Last edited by MCLove; 03-28-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:34 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good story !

Yeah, nearly three years after buying the MINIs, I still sometimes just peek out into the garage to look at them. We are a weird lot, MINI owners.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Stanislaus
4th Gear
Now I feel a little sick.
I peer out the window to check on my car. I also park far away from other cars in a lot.
I also am an old dude with a MINI.
Unsettling when one senses one has conformed to a certain mold.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 PM
MCLove
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Stanislaus
Now I feel a little sick.
I peer out the window to check on my car. I also park far away from other cars in a lot.
I also am an old dude with a MINI.
Unsettling when one senses one has conformed to a certain mold.
HAHA! It's ok!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 PM
minicounter
4th Gear
I get to park mine right outside my office window - so when I tire of looking at her picture on my computer desktop - I can open the blinds, look out the window and see the real thing...

Old 03-29-2009, 04:51 AM
mattsenpai
4th Gear
haha MCLove! Your gallery, i so want THAT to be on my birthday cake!!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I did this just yesterday...picked up my new MINI, then went to eat at a nearby mall....why my wife and her Mom waited for a table, I went back to check on the MINI and play with the comfort access

Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seldom wind up checking my MINI, but this is primarily because I will spend half-an-hour seeking out and procuring an adequate parking spot so as to not have any second thoughts while in the store. Now, at the restaurant I eat at all the time, I do like to sit where I can dine while admiring my car....and back in the day I was known stop eating to re-park if my initial parking spot did happen to be inadequate. I have since learned not to compromise in the first place. This includes avoiding cars w/ the possibility of improper spacing, all trees, any possible bird perches, sprinklers, weed-wackers or leaf-blowers, and fireworks. It's something of a lifestyle.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I'm 65 years old and I absolutely love my MINI.
I like your story and can totally relate to it.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
So, how are the donations doing? Where do we send the money? I've got a couple bucks I could part with. If every one on NAM did that you could be on your way to the MINI store in no time. Us "Old Farts" have compassion for you young "Whippersnappers"!!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:11 AM
firenewt
4th Gear
It doesn't end. Have had my 2002 PS/PS MCS since August 2002. Haven't driven Fizzgig since last November - up on jack stands undergoing major upgrades. On days I don't work on it, I have to go out to the garage just to look at it.

Kevin

Old 03-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Ladidah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
I did this just yesterday...picked up my new MINI, then went to eat at a nearby mall....why my wife and her Mom waited for a table, I went back to check on the MINI and play with the comfort access
Congrats! I peeked at your gallery - it is a very pretty car. I love Laser Blue.

When I was in school I would leave 45 minutes early for class so I could get a 'safe' parking place. I can so relate to checking on the MINI.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 AM
MCLove
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mattsenpai
haha MCLove! Your gallery, i so want THAT to be on my birthday cake!!
isn't that the most awesome cake ever?! My friend made that for me! She even went as far as to hunt down a DIY MINI model from a hobby store and put it together for me! It was one of the greatest gifts!

Originally Posted by gokartride
This includes avoiding cars w/ the possibility of improper spacing, all trees, any possible bird perches, sprinklers, weed-wackers or leaf-blowers, and fireworks. It's something of a lifestyle.
I never even thought of all of those things! I usually just look for cars that aren't parked well...but BIRDS! I will have to remember to stay away from trees...there are so many more dangers out in the parking lots than I thought! Now I know why everyone parks wayyy out in the back 40!

Originally Posted by Silverbullit
So, how are the donations doing? Where do we send the money? I've got a couple bucks I could part with. If every one on NAM did that you could be on your way to the MINI store in no time. Us "Old Farts" have compassion for you young "Whippersnappers"!!
Um, donations are...few and far between. If you REALLY want to send me a couple bucks, just pm me and I'll tell you where to send it! I promise to put your name on the back of the MINI when I get it! You won't go unacknowledged!

and one day I hope I can be the one looking out the window at my MINI to make sure it's ok, or even just to admire it...I figured it wasn't a short term thing-it had to be an ongoing obsession! And widespread!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 AM
MCLove
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
WOW! I LOVE your car! Laser Blue is my FAVORITE! You have my dream car! That looks almost identical to the one I built on the configurator! Congrats!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
Thanks for the parking lot story. I confess to having done the same thing.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
It will be 2 years in August & I love my Mini even more than the day I brought it home.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Sometimes I wake up in a frantic panic and go outside like at 3 or 4AM in my boxers to double check if I locked it.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
I was just like that. So obsessed with Mini but not acctually having one. My parents were anti mini as well. "you will get killed by an 18 wheeler...." blah blah blah.

Then on October 25th, I pull in the driveway and in my garage is this beautiful BRG. So keep your hopes up. Parents always come around...

Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 AM
MCLove
1st Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Sometimes I wake up in a frantic panic and go outside like at 3 or 4AM in my boxers to double check if I locked it.
Good thing it's early enough in the morning so the neighbors don't see! That's hilarious!

Originally Posted by AggieMini11
I was just like that. So obsessed with Mini but not acctually having one. My parents were anti mini as well. "you will get killed by an 18 wheeler...." blah blah blah.

Then on October 25th, I pull in the driveway and in my garage is this beautiful BRG. So keep your hopes up. Parents always come around...
This makes me feel better...I may have a chance then! My parents say the same thing about 18 wheelers...it's like they have meetings or something and plan out all their arguments AGAINST MINI's in case their children ever decide to want one or something...

my mom's latest argument was, "it seems like a sunny day car...not an everyday car..."

NO MOM, IT'S AN EVERYDAY CAR. AND DON'T EVER FORGET THAT!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
just show them this

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's an everyday car, thank God! I don't know if I'd like it if I couldn't drive it every day. It's great in snow (with snow tires), very safe (better at avoiding accidents than about anything on the road, and safe when hit), and has a knowledgeable owners community - so you'll CARE about your driving - which makes the biggest difference of all.

My 18 y/o daughter wants one too...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I know will be just as bad...