General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you pay $50,000 for a new MINI Cooper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Locust
I seems you have never been behind the wheel of a 2009 John Cooper Works. I nearly put $50,000 g's on one of these two weeks ago! WTH was I thinking? It is a hard feeling to describe and even harder to walk away from with my hands in my pockets!!!
Having driven one, I agree the JCW is a fun car, but the fact remains that you can get a car that is functionally very, very similar for $30k... a lightly-optioned JCW. In fact, throw ~$3300+install on top of the JCW's ~$30,000 base price and you've got a $34,000 JCW that's virtually indestinguishable from a $50,000 JCW, performance-wise.

Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference, though. The NAV, CF, sunroof, etc, are either unwanted or not worth it *to me*, so I'd personally buy a no-option MCS or no-option JCW and go from there with the modifications. But other people might prefer to do everything OEM and roll it into their loan/original purchase... or their dream car might be a LOADED JCW, in which case, it doesn't matter if they can buy a Corvette for the same amount... they'd rather have a MINI.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally always looked at a MINI as a replacement for a Civic or Corolla or some other normal commuter car....only tons better....similar in use to how might think of a classic Mini. In light of this, I like the lower priced MINIs best. At that price point MINI standard equipment...including handling...is an over-the-top value!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
diablito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lhoboy
Or, for that person, $450k is mere chump change. If I had a couple hundred mil in the bank, I wouldn't think too hard about buying a $450k car that I really liked. Look at all the people (most in fact) that have to finance their cars because they don't have enough coin in the bank to buy it outright.
People with 100mil do not keep money in banks banks are for people who have less than 100k and they need a place to put it...and most of those people who have lots of bucks they lease their exotics people who buys them are usually collecting.

but is just my opinion.is late just came from transporter 3 and it was boring.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by diablito
but is just my opinion.is late just came from transporter 3 and it was boring.
I kinda figured it would be thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People with 100mil do not keep money in banks banks are for people who have less than 100k and they need a place to put it...
I was using the the term "bank" as a euphemism for liquid assets.

and most of those people who have lots of bucks they lease their exotics
Those that lease exotics are posers who want to look like they're worth more than they are. Borrowing is a lot cheaper (almost half the imputed interest rate) than leasing if you have the money to make the higher bank payments.

people who buys them are usually collecting.
Now, in my mind, spending that kind of money to just look at a car and not drive it, requires therapy. Of course, you can point to the potential investment value of it as a piece of art, but to me it's almost like training a highly skilled surgeon and mounting him/her on the wall as an example of what our higher education system can produce. The intrinsic value is in the actual performance not the performance potential.

Have we gone sufficiently off subject yet?