General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic buyers remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:25 PM
ahendy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic buyers remorse?

Do any of you regret buying a MINI with an automatic transmission? I'm feeling some serious buyers remorse here.... help talk me out of it!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:34 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
Personally, I love the steptronic shifting. Don't have to worry about
a clutch. To me it's like the best of both worlds. No remorse or regrets here!
Also hasn't stopped me from modding my car. I have a 15% pulley and it
works great with an automatic.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:47 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't try driving it like a manual ... put it in "sport auto" mode, and press the "go" pedal; go round a few corners - you'll enjoy it

Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM
ahendy
3rd Gear
I should've prefaced this by saying, I do enjoy driving my Clubman S auto; I really really do. But sometimes I feel like I'd enjoy it even more if I was more involved with the driving..

Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No buyers remorse here after a year and 45k with my first auto.I'll be picking up another manual in the coming weeks but keeping the auto since it's paid for.It's a different experience using the paddles I almost always use them.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM
eurotrash01
3rd Gear
Just to fill out the other end of the spectrum a bit...

I got the auto...uh...because I'm married...and yet ...uh...I really like it, after 3 days of spirited driving. You have those paddles if you're bored, and the sport button if you like hearing your car scream and whine at the slower traffic ahead of you.

These cars are fun.

Mileage doesn't really matter, because you'll always take the longer, twistier way home.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:07 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
No remorse at all. Yeah, the manuals can get more goodies, but y'know what, the R56 autos are still quicker off the line than the manuals. Add in that the JCW tune is available for autos now, and there's not really a downside. The paddles are always there if you need some manual love.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
I got the auto because I plan on passing this car on to my son who can't drive manual. There are times at my age that the knees hurt like hell. Every time Im stuck in traffic Im glad I did't go for the manual. As autos go this is the best trans Ive drivin since the '72 Benz. At some point Mercedes gave in to the US and turned there auto trans in to ****! IMHO people who complain about the auto trans in the mini just dont understand it, and how its supposed to work!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:21 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope no regrets at all for getting the auto. You can still play with the car just as much in my opinion. I just had the JCW kit installed and WOW!!! made the car even more fun to drive.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
No regrets whatsoever in getting an automatic

Old 10-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
ahendy. What was the reason you went for the automatic?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
ahendy
3rd Gear
Mostly convenience and ease. I just moved to the bay area, and knew that before I bought my MINI, so I knew that going through traffic and steep hills would be a hassle with a 6 speed, but it's all what you get used to I suppose. There's thousands of people that do it everyday, so it can't be so bad.

All that being said, I feel that maybe the fun of driving a manual may outweigh the occasional hassles of having it? I don't know, maybe I just need to take my car out to some back roads and whip it around some corners and I'll be fine. Or maybe I should trade 'er in on a brand new JCW! Just kidding.......

Old 10-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
I wish you would've made a post about going manual or auto. I would've done my best to persuade you to get a manual. I drive in the notorious LA traffic everyday and have never regretted for a second. (it's actually fun) I hope you grow to love the auto but if you can't maybe you should sell it and start over. You only live once. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:16 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
None at all. I play with the manual shifting paddles on the wheel, downshifting when making turns or doing the twisties or going uphill. There's a lot of congestion in the NY metropolitan area so when in bumper-to-bumper traffic I'm not constantly shifting and wearing down the clutch.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I luvvvvv my auto. The paddles keep me plenty engaged.

I wish I could have two MINIs - a hardtop, no sunroof manual track car, and my current automatic convertible street car... the auto is a bit of a liability on the track, but the ragtop is a bigger liability there...

Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
I got mine because I'm married too.

I thought I would hate it.
I actually love it.
You should too.

It's the best of both worlds. The only thing
is it eats the mpg which is a little disappointing.

But think of all the posts here
My clutch is doing <insert horror story>

If you have room and must have it get yourself something cheap
like an older miata, Z3 or CRX.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Apple
6th Gear
My story is I was all set to order took the mechnic to lunch and asked about current problems on the auto trans., after our info lunch, I went home and thought about the issues, the MPG and the handling, after all is said and done, I am happy to be a 6speedchick

I think this car would lack much in handling and agility if it was in auto, I test drove a auto

I love the feeling of being connected to the car, IMHO the only way is manual
I do think before you place yourorder, think it thru, apple could have been yellow Last trip 41.9 Miles PER Gallon!

Last edited by Apple; 10-06-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
I too did not want the auto until I found out they were different in the 2007 and up. I have had many cars with manuals in them and many with autos. The auto in the mini is way better than all the autos I have had in my previous cars. They just hit it right with the 6 speeds and gear spacing.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:32 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The Aisin 6 speed auto is a VERY good auto... not a DSG, but about as good as you can get with a torque converter... anyone who thinks the auto penalizes handling and agility should follow me on the next Tour of Terror.

Fuel economy... that's a different story... my car CHUGS fuel. Only partially because of the auto...
Automatic + heavy convertible + fat driver + pulley + lead foot = MINI with SUV-like MPG.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:05 AM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
My story is I was all set to order took the mechnic to lunch and asked about current problems on the auto trans., after our info lunch, I went home and thought about the issues, the MPG and the handling, after all is said and done, I am happy to be a 6speedchick

I think this car would lack much in handling and agility if it was in auto, I test drove a auto

I love the feeling of being connected to the car, IMHO the only way is manual
I do think before you place yourorder, think it thru, apple could have been yellow Last trip 41.9 Miles PER Gallon!
I think your mechanic was thinking about the old first gen CVTs (since you were goin for justacoopah). The Aisins are rock solid. As for handling, I dunno what you mean by lacking in that department. Perhaps you should join us for a trip down the Dragon and see how the handling argument holds up

And MPG... I'm averaging 30 - 32 mpg, and that's with a 25 year old behind the wheel of an S. Not really the hypermiler type

Old 10-06-2008, 06:11 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
I think your mechanic was thinking about the old first gen CVTs (since you were goin for justacoopah). The Aisins are rock solid. As for handling, I dunno what you mean by lacking in that department. Perhaps you should join us for a trip down the Dragon and see how the handling argument holds up

And MPG... I'm averaging 30 - 32 mpg, and that's with a 25 year old behind the wheel of an S. Not really the hypermiler type
No buddy second gen, there have been afew issues posted here but the MINI store has seen many more :(( I feel more connected to the road in any manual always have..something a auto does not do for me:(

Not bad mPG

Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 AM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by ahendy
Mostly convenience and ease. I just moved to the bay area, and knew that before I bought my MINI, so I knew that going through traffic and steep hills would be a hassle with a 6 speed, but it's all what you get used to I suppose. There's thousands of people that do it everyday, so it can't be so bad.

All that being said, I feel that maybe the fun of driving a manual may outweigh the occasional hassles of having it? I don't know, maybe I just need to take my car out to some back roads and whip it around some corners and I'll be fine. Or maybe I should trade 'er in on a brand new JCW! Just kidding.......
I really think you should take it out on some twisties, or find a High Performance Driver Education event to participate in like the Phil Wicks Academy. Just driving the MINI will be boring regardless of whether it's manual or auto. Motoring is key.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
To those of us who've driving almost all sticks for 30 years... A stick is 'automatic'. When not playing, a stick requires no concious thought or effort if you've been driving them long enough. Even in stop and go it's just not something I notice. I don't think about starting on steep ramps in garages and stuff, just do it.

It's all a matter or what you're used to. I can see where a newer to stick driver in stop and go might not take to it. But if you've driven them forever...

And my best of both worlds is that when I do want to play and pay attention, obviously I've got it. I do feel more engaged in the driving experience with a stick, when I choose to pay attention. Which with a MINI is most of the time.

Ediit: You can see in my sig I'm a sailor vs a power boater, which to me is a similar choice. I choose to be engaged in the details as they bring me pleasure.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
I really think you should take it out on some twisties, or find a High Performance Driver Education event to participate in like the Phil Wicks Academy. Just driving the MINI will be boring regardless of whether it's manual or auto. Motoring is key.
so far have BMW, Audi driving challanges under my belt ,had a blast, if I were in the city would consider a auto, in maybe a benz..... but since i am a girl now in the country, hitting a special road in the forrest is amazing

Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 AM
wgrzanic
2nd Gear
I love the auto. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably get the manual, just 'cause I think it'd be fun. But the automatic is crazy fun all on its own. I love throwing it into manual mode when I want to fiddle with the shifting, and then letting it do its thing in automatic mode when I'm feeling lazy or trying to talk to a passenger or something.

-Will

Quick Reply: Automatic buyers remorse?