General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Applying vinyl bonnets yourself

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applying vinyl bonnets yourself

I decided to go ahead and get myself a set of 'Phat' bonnet stripes from Aesthetic Creations (I keep venomous snakes and wanted a car with fangs) and should be receiving them sometime in the next couple of weeks. I do have one little issue of worry though. I'm kind of o.c.d. when it comes to putting things on my vehicle - i.e. making sure they're nearly exactly parallel, no air bubbles, etc. For those of you who've applied vinyl graphics to your cars, especially big ones like bonnet stripes, how was the experience? Easy to get them nice and straight? Easy to keep the air bubbles out? Hard on both accounts?

And for those of you who've had vinyl graphics for a while, how's the durability? They really aren't that expensive, so replacement in a couple-few years isn't a worry, but it would be if it were replacement every 6 months-year.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've installed two sets of boot stripes and one set of bonnet stripes, in addition to some other various vinyl products.

I'm as OCD as they come. So... just make sure you measure from multiple points when you are placing the stripes. Measure from the washer jet nozzles to the edge of the stripes. Measure from the edge of the scoop... measure the distances from the ends to the edge of the bonnet... and when you're done, measure them again. And again.

Use masking tape to make sure they stay put when you're done all that measuring. And the masking tape can come up and be reapplied in the event your measurements tell you you're off by just a bit.

As far as bubbles and creases... I've only ever had one tiny bubble and it went away in a matter of a week or two. The trick is, GO SLOW. Personally, I use the squeegee tool in about 1/4" increments, working from side to side on the stripe (the tool isn't wide enough to go the whole way across the stripe).

You can learn from my one mistake: I ruined a boot stripe by not removing the wax well enough before starting. The vinyl didn't adhere to the paint well enough and when I tried to remove the protective plastic covering, the vinyl lifted up with it in some spots. When that happens, the stripe is toast.

So, remove the wax completely from the area before starting. Measure, measure, measure. Go slowly.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I measured and marked the centerline of my hood with some 3M fineline tape. Helped a lot!