General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINIs with kids help and proof

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 AM
The QZ
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINIs with kids help and proof

Hey everyone. I've been sreiously considering trading my Charger for an 07 MCS. MY main snag is convincing the wife. She is worried about space for the future family we are planning a couple years down the road. I keep telling her that the MINI will cost less to operate and have a lower monthly payment. (A good thing because we are about to close on our first home.) Also I told her with the MINI in the garage there will be more room in there to store things.

So what I need is proof and stories that you can own a MINI and function with a couple small children. Pictures would be very helpful.

I told her when the time comes I will get the roof rack and cargo bubble or luggage rack.

She told me that if I really wanted it to get it, but I don't want it to be a source of friction in future. I would like her to be with me on this because, to be honest, my marriage is more important to me than a car. But it would be great to have both.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:25 AM
MDK
6th Gear
I have a 9 yr old who gets in and out on her own and fits just fine. You're talking newborn and unfortunatly I've heard the rear facing car seat can be an issue-and it's kind of a bend to get the child into the seat. The MINI's do have LATCH attachments and all that. There are others that have done the baby seat thing and hopefully will chime in with better news. If the MINI doesn't work out be sure to check out the Mazdaspeed 3 or the new VW GTI 5 door.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 AM
brutefarse
2nd Gear
I have a 2 year old and I agree with MDK, it is a bend to get my toddler in her car seat. The best way to describe it is it takes a little bit more effort than say if you have a four door car (which I used to have) but not much more. I wouldn't let that discourage me....but it can be a hassel if she'll be in and out of the mini multiple times. A baby shouldn't be too much trouble to get in there if you buy the car seat that has a removable base (ie. you leave the base in your backseat and the baby's seat attaches/detaches to it by pressing a button. For my family, the mini is an awesome 2nd family car , I don't see a need for a small family like mine (wife and 1 child...soon to be 2) to have 2 big cars. The wife's car is an SUV.
Hope that helps.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 AM
TWON
4th Gear
Pictures and Proof are all fine and dandy, but she will probably still just say, "if you really what it, then get it" again. Not much feeling behind the words I guessing? But, if you take her down to the dealership and sit in it maybe something will change and she may like as much as most of use do.

I was surprised when I sat in the back seat for the first time. Have her sit in the front seat, make it comfortable to sit in, then have her hope in the back seat at that position. I do this to a lot of my friend when they laugh after looking in the back. The first word out of their mouth (every time so far) once in back.... "WOW", it feels larger then it looks. With that said, after they are amazed at how comfortable it is in the back, most say they wouldn't want to be in the back for more that 30 or 40 minutes and I agree, but that is for an adult too!

Now, I don't have children yet, but my guess is the back is fine for them, but I can't imagine using a car seat would be real fun to get the little ones in and out of for the first couple years.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:17 AM
darmog
4th Gear
Why not wait and get the clubman instead? Or get your MCS now and then trade in the wife' s suv for a Clubman?

Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Sensor
1st Gear
I have a five year old and there is enough room for 2 adults and a child. 4 would be pushing the driver too far forward but three is fine and something to consider would be te convertible. Getting the baby in and out of the convertible would be a snap with the top off. If you have the SUV and she said go for it, even begrudgingly,, use you best judgemet on the Mini you choose. Worry about baby placement when you cross that bridge,, it will be ok. 9 times outta 10 a baby will be riding in the safest vehicle you have for them,, that would be the SUV anyway. Good luck,, she wont be mad long,, she'll be bragging soon!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:01 AM
The QZ
4th Gear
Thanks everyone, that's what I figured. It's obviously going to be a little more work getting the car seat in and out, but it can be done. My wife does have an suv now, but her issue is that she doesn't want to always take her car when the whole family needs to travel.

I saw pictures of the clubman, it's not bad, but I like the mcs better.. I'll make the MCS work or I won't get one at all.

My big thing is that there are no kids now and probably not for at least 2 years, so I can always trade it in for a clubman later on. MINI's hold their value well.

Last edited by The QZ; 07-18-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
I have a 5 year old who gets in and out of the back of the MINI just fine, no problems and likes the car WAY better than my Honda. In my local club there is a couple who both own MINI's (no other vehicles) and they have twin babies. They have rear facing car seats that fit just fine too (Peg Perego SIP 2006). If they can do it, anyone can!

Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 AM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
I have 4 kids, but what makes it liveable is the fact that my other car is an 8 passenger Saturn Outlook, so having that option to carry everyone around when needed makes having a MINI a non-issue.

My convincing turned to my wife convincing me once I took her on a test drive, though, so if you haven't tried that yet, I'd suggest it.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
My kids were alittle older when I got my Mini 4 1/2 years ago, but we travel just fine. They are 13 and 10 now and we still take 3-4 day trips in it just fine. The trick is to pack very little , took some getting used to, but we all do it now without a second thought. Its either the Mini or the Honda Pilot, generally the Mini wins.

I think things like strollers and such make it difficult, but plenty around here have done it.

Good luck,

Nik

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
We have a 6 y/o (who always wants to go in the MINI, and not the truck), and a 9 m/o baby. All 4 of us fit in the MINI fairly well (I move my seat up a bit), and we have a Quinny Zapp stroller that fits in the boot. We've been on a few 2 hour (one way) trips this way without any complaints. People are constantly amazed as we all get out.

The baby is now in a rear facing seat (Britax Roundabout), and I find it fairly easy to just load him in through the rear hatch; I get a few funny looks from people in parking lots though... . We don't have a rooftop carrier, but I imagine you could get a lot of stuff into one of those. Our local club has a couple with two young kids, and they're looking at getting a second MINI. Anything is possible if you're willing to adapt (and sometimes think outside the box).

That being said, for longer trips / vacations, we use my wife's SUV because we can cram more crap in there .

Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
findude
4th Gear
I'd think hard about having as a MINI as an only car if you have a family. Two-door cars are much less convenient when it comes to putting a baby in the back seat. I'm sure you can do it, lots have, but . . .

We have two kids (11 and 15), and neither of then can sit behind me (I'm 6'2") regardless of which front seat I'm in. We generally use the minivan when there are 3 or more people involved, and use the MINI when it is one or two.

So, as an only car, I'd be hesitant, as one of two or more cars, the MINI is a good choice for a family.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 PM
MDK
6th Gear
My wife was also questioning about the room inside and she acutally did not ride in one untill after I got MCS. My daughter and I both worked her over pretty good so she gave up. When she got in my MCS that night I brought it home she was surprised at the room inside and now loves to ride in the MINI. It's kind of an optical illusion but the car is much roomier than people think and it also very safe. 2 years may stretch into 3 or you ay be a father very soon-you never know but planning this far out is tough so go for it!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
My son isnt little, he is 16. When he was little all I had was a Fiat Spider, all my husband had was a Toyota truck. We somehow managed, even though sitting for more than a few minutes in the Fiat 'back seat' causes loss of feeling in ones extremities...I was the one who rode back there. Now I have a MINI, which has less room inside than a Geo Metro, but still more than a Fiat. My son is OK for about 40 minutes, then he whines about not being able to feel his feet. Personally I think the bending and twisting involved with wrestling with a car seat and child would push me to wait for the Clubman to come out, but then again I am not as young as I used to be, and sometimes when your older body twists and bends, you cant get as easily un-bent as before.
If you want the MCS, then get one, if it doesnt work when you start your family, then get the Clubman. Let your wife know that you are willing to do that when the time comes, and she really doesnt have an argument right?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 PM
kachow
1st Gear
With kids in car seats , it is a hassle with a 2 door car, it can be done but not convenient, esp. when its raining. I have 3 kids (ages 13,10 and 4 ),the Mini is not our family car (we also have a Toyota Sienna minivan). Given a choice my kids always pick the Mini to go wherever I almost got a Toyota Prius because of its four door convenience, but my heart screams MINI Goodluck on your choice.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM
The QZ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by moodylewdd
My son isnt little, he is 16. When he was little all I had was a Fiat Spider, all my husband had was a Toyota truck. We somehow managed, even though sitting for more than a few minutes in the Fiat 'back seat' causes loss of feeling in ones extremities...I was the one who rode back there. Now I have a MINI, which has less room inside than a Geo Metro, but still more than a Fiat. My son is OK for about 40 minutes, then he whines about not being able to feel his feet. Personally I think the bending and twisting involved with wrestling with a car seat and child would push me to wait for the Clubman to come out, but then again I am not as young as I used to be, and sometimes when your older body twists and bends, you cant get as easily un-bent as before.
If you want the MCS, then get one, if it doesnt work when you start your family, then get the Clubman. Let your wife know that you are willing to do that when the time comes, and she really doesnt have an argument right?
Excellent point, my thoughts exactly. Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate all your thoughts and stories.

This forum is such a great resource of information.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sensor
9 times outta 10 a baby will be riding in the safest vehicle you have for them,, that would be the SUV anyway.
You probably don't want to get me or anyone else here started on this , but it's not necessarily true. An SUV may easier to get in and out of and hold more stuff, but MINIs are very safe. Don't confuse size with safety.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Mega Mini S Man
1st Gear
To the OP

I have a 16 month old and a 6 month old, that ride all the time in our 07 MSC. The 07 has more room than the 06's, it is just a little bit but it makes a big difference when you are dealing with car seats. I am 5 10 and my wife is 5 9 and we have no problem with putting in a rear facing car seat with the base and the carrier. It is tight with the two piece seat; I am defiantly looking forward to when the little man can move up to the front facing seat.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:07 PM
The QZ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mega Mini S Man
To the OP

I have a 16 month old and a 6 month old, that ride all the time in our 07 MSC. The 07 has more room than the 06's, it is just a little bit but it makes a big difference when you are dealing with car seats. I am 5 10 and my wife is 5 9 and we have no problem with putting in a rear facing car seat with the base and the carrier. It is tight with the two piece seat; I am defiantly looking forward to when the little man can move up to the front facing seat.

Thanks, that's definitely encouraging to hear. I'm 6'2" and the wife is 5'2". We'll just put the rear facing one behind her.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
9 times outta 10 a baby will be riding in the safest vehicle you have for them,, that would be the SUV anyway.
I can't disagree with you more. A Mini is safer than most SUVs on the market. Not only does it survive all of the crash tests with flying colors it is much more nimble making you more likely to be able to avoid any possible problems. Bigger doesn't mean safer.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Sensor
1st Gear
Safest perceived vehicle.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 PM
MDK
6th Gear
Safest perceived vehicle.
...and that perception is from a new mother, which is impossible to argue with. Get her a Volvo wagon when the bambino arrives-good handling,good economy and unmatched safety

Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by The QZ
I'm 6'2" and the wife is 5'2". We'll just put the rear facing one behind her.
I'm 6'2" also, and our rear facing Britax Roundabout fits behind me if I move my seat forward a little bit.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:18 AM
Sensor
1st Gear
I agree with many of the previous posts, bigger does'nt mean safer. And that could be a great point for the mother-to-be. Break out some stats on safety versus current vehicle, suv's and the mini and use that information to help solidify or question your desire to own a mini and create a more positive purchasing and ownership experience for your wife,, this type of concern for her comfort level in the purchase can win some huge credibility the next time a major decision has to be made and your judgment is all she has to rely on!

Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 AM
The QZ
4th Gear
I agree with many of the previous posts, bigger does'nt mean safer. And that could be a great point for the mother-to-be. Break out some stats on safety versus current vehicle, suv's and the mini and use that information to help solidify or question your desire to own a mini and create a more positive purchasing and ownership experience for your wife,, this type of concern for her comfort level in the purchase can win some huge credibility the next time a major decision has to be made and your judgment is all she has to rely on!
Excellent point, I like the way you think.

Quick Reply: MINIs with kids help and proof