General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

OBD for Harry's Laptimer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OBD for Harry's Laptimer

Guys,

Any of you using Harry's Laptimer? If so are you also doing the OBD bluetooth to get the car readings? If so which one and where?

I have been just using the GoPro for video but want to use the Harry's app and video as well.

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:52 AM
goin2drt
4th Gear
OK what about an OBDII module that is bluetooth and that works with Mini and Iphone?

Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 AM
Harald Schlangmann
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For iOS, Bluetooth options are a a bit limited - many manufacturers do not want to go through Apple's certification process... The two adapters recommended are the PLX Kiwi 3 and the GoPoint BT1. Read more about options and recommendations on www.gps-laptimer.de/comaptibility/ios. The Kiwi requires a device supporting Bluetooth Low Energy, for iPhones this is the 4S and any later device.

- Harry

Old 05-10-2016, 08:16 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
I am using Harry's - thus far I have not added the OBD capability.

I've a 10hz GPS, and remotely control the GoPro.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 AM
goin2drt
4th Gear
But to get more of the info on the screen like gear your in etc can be had if you use the OBD module, correct?

Old 05-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
The Harry's web page list a number of OBDII readers that are compatible with the app. I use the GoPoint with bluetooth. Works well enough, but missing an important item...braking. You get engine rpm, ECU road speed, gear, gas pedal position, etc., but not braking.

Also, you really need the 5hz or 10 hz GPS antenna in order to make Harry's lap timer at all useful. The native 1 hz of the iPhone is way too slow to collect meaningful data. At 1 hz and at speed on a track you may only get 1 or 2 data points around a turn. You may not get any data points around a turn in autocross. Also, the accuracy of the native GPS antenna in the iPhone is 30 ft. The Dual bluetooth antenna is 6 ft or better.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:45 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
The Harry's web page list a number of OBDII readers that are compatible with the app. I use the GoPoint with bluetooth. Works well enough, but missing an important item...braking. You get engine rpm, ECU road speed, gear, gas pedal position, etc., but not braking.

Also, you really need the 5hz or 10 hz GPS antenna in order to make Harry's lap timer at all useful. The native 1 hz of the iPhone is way too slow to collect meaningful data. At 1 hz and at speed on a track you may only get 1 or 2 data points around a turn. You may not get any data points around a turn in autocross. Also, the accuracy of the native GPS antenna in the iPhone is 30 ft. The Dual bluetooth antenna is 6 ft or better.
Thanks for the info. I did see those but didn't know if any BT OBD reader would work with the mini hence my question. I will check into the GPS antenna thingy.

Cheers.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I really like the Dual. I would get the 160 today with the 10Hz firm ware already installed. I got the 150 which you have to upgrade the firmware on to get the 5hz speed. It is doable but I had to try 2 computers in order to make the upgrade work. Maybe it is better today. Once I got it running it has been seamless to use.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:57 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Thanks for all the help. I ordered the Automatic OBDII reader at it seemed the best for all my Apple stuff. We shall see. I will try one AX w/o the GPS and see how it does before I head to the big track.

I really want all this working before my first big track. Now I need to try and figure out how to integrate my GoPro video with Harry's. Doesn't seem so simple from all the reading I have done.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Sounds good.

As for Video, it sounds like Charlie Thompson (the post above) has done it. Maybe he can give you some quick instructions. You might what to PM him to ask. I have not done that with Harry's.

BTW - What track are you headed to?

Last edited by Eddie07S; 05-10-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add item
Old 05-10-2016, 05:30 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Sounds good.

As for Video, it sounds like Charlie Thompson (the post above) has done it. Maybe he can give you some quick instructions. You might what to PM him to ask. I have not done that with Harry's.

BTW - What track are you headed to?
Thanks and Chuckwalla May 30th

Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Looks like a nice track and good curbing. A really good MINI track by the way the pictures look.

Do you have a set of CG locks for the safety belts? They keep the belt tight across your waist and help to hold you in your set. One of the best track mods you can make short of a full harness. They are simple to install and don't cost a lot. You can leave them in for your daily driving.

Have fun

Old 05-10-2016, 05:47 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Looks like a nice track and good curbing. A really good MINI track by the way the pictures look.

Do you have a set of CG locks for the safety belts? They keep the belt tight across your waist and help to hold you in your set. One of the best track mods you can make short of a full harness. They are simple to install and don't cost a lot. You can leave them in for your daily driving.

Have fun
On order. Several of my buddies use them at AX.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I use RaceChrono on my Android phone with a no-name OBD2-BT adapter I got from Newegg. I also have the Dual 160 10Hz GPS that talks BT to the phone. The setup works really well though sometimes the GPS doesn't track perfectly, not sure if it is the GPS, BT, or the phone can't keep up with both the OBD2 and GPS data streams.

I put the GoPro either on a suction cup mount on the inside of the windshield with the camera upside down, or on a DIY bracket that attaches to the passenger side headrest to get the "over the shoulder" view. I connect to the camera from the phone app to adjust settings and aiming, once it is set I just push the record button at the start and end of the session. Keeping the phone and GoPro charged all day can be a pain, remember to bring your cords and AC adapter so you can find a place to plug in.

Afterwards you can use RaceRender to overlay the OBD2 data on top of the video. CircuitTools is great for analysis, with the 10Hz GPS data you can compare multiple laps to see lap by lap where you were quicker or slower.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:38 AM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Sounds like you have a pretty good setup. I want to use the Harry's. This will give you the one video from the phone. When using the BT OBDII that will feed more data directly to Harry's so you will basically have everything you need. Harry's can do all the analysis etc as well. Great app.

My problem is I want to use the GoPro like you at a different angle. I want to overlay that video in the upper right of the Harry's video. It appears it is not that easy and I am not that good with GoPro yet. Harry sent me a link to how to do it but it is literally like reading latin and quite frankly it is not written very well.

I will keep working on it.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:45 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
i used harry's and other than the social media aspect (went with a group of 10 guys so we all compared times) i wasn't impressed. i collected a lot more data using TrackAddict. yes, harry's is all in one...but what good is that if it's not giving you what you want...well what i want...maybe for others the data harry feeds is more than enough.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:57 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Not impressed yet using Harry's and the Automatic OBD adapter. Doesn't seem to be getting my car data other than MPH and that is really just through Harry's. Albeit I am AXing so that also isn't ideal for the setup. When you email Harry he just directs you to his website that isn't all that helpful.

I will give it one more shot, then may try track addict.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:37 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
i used harry's and other than the social media aspect (went with a group of 10 guys so we all compared times) i wasn't impressed. i collected a lot more data using TrackAddict. yes, harry's is all in one...but what good is that if it's not giving you what you want...well what i want...maybe for others the data harry feeds is more than enough.
What data are you getting with TrackAddict that Harry's doesn't get? Also, what OBDII reader are you using?

Old 07-05-2016, 12:35 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used Harri for my track day using a separate phone. Some of my session dont have the RPM ect because for what ever reason my phone couldn't find the OBD reader. I personally still use the GPS from the phone. The Only thing i dont have a work flow for it putting in the Go Pro video i took over the sholder. it not as easy to do. Maybe in the future ill get the dual and see what a difference it makes. In one of my runs the data vs the actual video was off and unfortunately this was when i did my best time according to harry app. I use Galaxy S 6 and an MX for OBD.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:39 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
What data are you getting with TrackAddict that Harry's doesn't get? Also, what OBDII reader are you using?
technically speaking, harry's should collect the same data as trackaddict. the difference seems to be that harry's doesn't give you an option of selecting what data to collect (so it ignores data you feel is important) whereas trackaddict allows you to select which data values you want to collect.

in my case, i have a helix FMIC...so for me comparing ambient vs IAT is very important as that will tell me if the FMIC is doing its job. trackaddict, while not collecting boost, is actually collecting barometric pressure as wel as manifold pressure. subtracting 1 from the other will give you what we know as BOOST.

these are just things i generally prefer. i'm sure if i gave harry's enough time, i'd get it working the way i want to. i'm just hooked on trackaddict and so far am happy with how to run it.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Thanks

Do you know if TrackAddict reads anything with respect to braking, like brake pressure or just on/off? I know that the computer reads something to do with brakes because they change the taillights for harder brake force.

Also, do yo know the sample rate for TrackAddict for the OBDII? Harry's seems to be 2 hz for the OBD port.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:57 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HaveATank
I used Harri for my track day using a separate phone. Some of my session dont have the RPM ect because for what ever reason my phone couldn't find the OBD reader. I personally still use the GPS from the phone. The Only thing i dont have a work flow for it putting in the Go Pro video i took over the sholder. it not as easy to do. Maybe in the future ill get the dual and see what a difference it makes. In one of my runs the data vs the actual video was off and unfortunately this was when i did my best time according to harry app. I use Galaxy S 6 and an MX for OBD.
oddly enough, i NEVER had an issue with my obd reader and track addict and 1 of my sessions using harry's, it suddenly didn't see it. i found that very odd. seems you had the same problem. coincidence?

putting the go pro video is actually pretty easy once you figure out what to do. first, i use racerender. i like the software and the way it sets you up. secondly, what i do is play the DATA only portion until i see when i cross the first lap. i pause there and move the video to the same time. i then link the times and play that specific section and figure out when the new lap restarts, does it happen as close to the finish line as possible. i tweak here and there. once that's set, then typically all the other laps line up.

attached is a sample of my track time last week. if you go to the finish line you'll see that i'm very very close to being on the marker:

Old 07-05-2016, 12:59 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Thanks

Do you know if TrackAddict reads anything with respect to braking, like brake pressure or just on/off? I know that the computer reads something to do with brakes because they change the taillights for harder brake force.

Also, do yo know the sample rate for TrackAddict for the OBDII? Harry's seems to be 2 hz for the OBD port.
it's not about harry's or trackaddict reading it, it's what the reader is able to pull from the OBD port...if you use trackaddict, it says that from the obd port it is collecting a total of 33 readings. yes, the braking is handled via the DME, but the OBD doesn't seem to be providing any data regarding that.

fyi, i have the OBDLink LX:
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-4272.../dp/B00H9S71LW

Old 07-10-2016, 04:33 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
odb is very slow on R53, it has to use kline as the canbus is not connected to the obd2 port on our cars.

I'm looking into a custom canbus to elm327 adapter

I use the odblink LK and a 10hz dual gps, it's limited to the slow kline speed, 1-2 updates a second sucks when the gps speed is 10 per second

Old 07-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mega72
odb is very slow on R53, it has to use kline as the canbus is not connected to the obd2 port on our cars.

I'm looking into a custom canbus to elm327 adapter

I use the odblink LK and a 10hz dual gps, it's limited to the slow kline speed, 1-2 updates a second sucks when the gps speed is 10 per second
It sounds like the system didn't change with the R56s. The OBDII on my car is being read at 2 Hz. I found that the rate drops to 1 Hz if you split it; in my case I put a splitter connector in so I could use my ScanGage and Harry's. Also, with the splitter the signal to Harry's drops out periodically. So, I can have either/or but not both.

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the terms you used, but it sounds like you may have a way to get a faster reading. I wonder if Harry's will read it faster?

Quick Reply: OBD for Harry's Laptimer