General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2015 Formula One Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 Formula One Discussion

Someone had to do it. The formula lives on...

From http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...e-freeze-farce

For all the flak that Formula One's new V6 turbo power units have received over the last 12 months, they do have at least one key positive.

Sure, they might not sound as ferocious as the previous V8 engines—and, indeed, as exhilarating as the V10s before them—and all the talk of motor generator units, energy stores and fuel-saving may not be everyone's idea of pure racing, but they promise to make F1 far richer. Not richer from the financial side of things, you see, but from a sporting point of view, simply by attracting more car manufacturers to the grid.

Over the course of 2014, a host of big names from the world of motoring were rumoured to be considering a move into F1.

BBC Sport's Andrew Benson, for instance, reported that the Volkswagen Group were making tentative steps toward an entry, while Auto Express' Michael Taylor wrote that one of VW's leading brands, Audi, were willing to abandon their hugely successful Le Mans and touring car programs to join the grid in 2016. At the height of the Audi-related speculation, Wolfgang Ullrich, the boss of the manufacturer, was forced to deny to Autosport's Gary Watkins that he had captured the signature of Fernando Alonso, the two-time world champion, to race at Le Mans in 2015 before spearheading the team's return to grand prix racing the following year.

Alonso, of course, ultimately joined McLaren, who from this year will be powered by the dreams of Honda. The Japanese company—despite showing no hesitation when withdrawing from the sport in December of 2008 due to the global financial crisis and a lack of on-track success—have highlighted just how attractive the new-look Formula One really is for manufacturers.

Their deal with McLaren, rekindling one of the most successful engine-chassis partnerships in F1 history, was announced as long ago as May of 2013, when there was still a great deal of uncertainty over just how the new regulations would play out. Indeed, it is unlikely that even Mercedes' pace-setting new engine had been fired up in the factory for the first time at the point of the McLaren-Honda announcement.

In choosing to defer their on-track return until 2015—rather than bursting out of the blocks alongside their fellow engine producers last year—Honda had opted to dedicate an extra 12 months to development to ensure that their comeback is a successful one. McLaren even produced an interim car to conduct some early running with the new power unit at the end of 2014. Clearly, much planning and effort has gone into the return of an organisation that was feared to be gone for good on that shuddering winter's day in '08.

How typical it was of F1, then, to lure the might of Honda back to the sport only then to irritate them from the outset.

The discovery of a loophole in the regulations concerning the homologation of engines, as reported by Autosport's Jonathan Noble, permitted the 2014 manufacturers—Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault—to develop their power units during the 2015 season. This was because, as Noble reports, Ferrari technical director James Allison noticed a fault in the wording of the sporting rules (Appendix 4), which ordered the companies to submit their engines to the FIA by Feb. 28 2014, but contained no set deadlines for the following seasons.

Upon learning of Allison's finding, the FIA could presumably have ordered him to pipe down, stop nitpicking and adhere to the spirit of the regulations. But because its sport risked being dominated by the same team for the remainder of the decade if the engine rules remained static, the governing body had to conclude that relaxing the restrictions was, as Noble quoted an FIA spokesman, the "most logical and robust" option.

It was an extremely poor display of governance and the FIA's solution to one problem only served to create another. In only allowing last year's manufacturers to develop their engines, F1 immediately and unnecessarily alienated Honda, who were faced with losing significant ground to their rivals despite the absence of a specified homologation date for 2015.

Presumably using the exact argument that Allison put forward to the benefit of Ferrari and Renault, Honda left the FIA with no option but to bend the rules once more.

Charlie Whiting, the F1 race director—as reported by Noble in a separate Autosport article—wrote to the teams in a document which stated: "As each of the four 2015 manufacturers will have an homologated power unit at the start of the season, we believe it would be fair to ensure that each of them enjoys equal opportunities for upgrades during the season." With the possible exception of Mercedes, there will be few within Formula One who will not welcome the decision to relax the engine homologation rules.

The freedom that will come with the power units being developed in-season should bunch up the field and result in more competitive racing both from year to year and in each individual campaign.

Yet the cack-handed fashion in which F1 got there—to the point where the governing body seemed to be actively looking for flaws in its own rulebook on two different occasions within a matter weeks—was humiliating. The highly sophisticated new engines, with their hybrid power and emphasis on efficiency, will make the sport fashionable for brand-new manufacturers and encourage former entrants to follow in Honda's footsteps and give it another try.

If only it could find someone capable of producing a set of watertight rules and regulations, and then refrain from making it up as they go along, Formula One might just be on to a winner.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 AM
two250
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first 2015 car has been revealed! Force India... Note that 2 of Sauber's sponsors are on the FI car, NEC and Telemex. Does this show us that Sauber is in trouble?

Now Williams technically showed their's first, but it's a digital rendering and not the actual car...
http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/01/...agazine-cover/

I'm a little disappointed that the odd noses are still somewhat present even as the FIA tried to prevent that.

Last edited by two250; 01-21-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:48 AM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by two250
The first 2015 car has been revealed! Force India.
That livery looks very McLaren-esque. I know Force India have a technical partnership with McLaren...but geez. If you stripped all the sponsors off the car, I would bet that it was the 2015 McLaren.

Note that 2 of Sauber's sponsors are on the FI car, NEC and Telemex. Does this show us that Sauber is in trouble?
Sauber have been in trouble/rumored to be in trouble for some time now. I certainly hope they have sufficient backing to continue...they're one of those teams that have always done more with less. They've also brought a considerable amount of young talent into F1. Not to mention had some of the best looking cars on the grid in the early 2000s.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 AM
daviday
3rd Gear
Lol

http://cf6.co/59b1

Caught on CCTV: Dramatic moment gang used 4x4 to ram-raid Red Bull Formula 1 team's factory and steal dozens of trophies

• Six masked men were behind raid on the Red Bull Formula 1 team HQ
  • Crooks' used their cars to reverse through the entrance of factory
  • Escaped with a haul of up to 60 trophies won by the Milton Keynes team
  • CCTV footage of the ram-raid will be played on BBC Crimewatch tonight
  • Team boss Christian Horner branded it a 'pointless crime

Last edited by daviday; 01-22-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
How about Nurburgring balking at paying the race fee, there was a recommendation to have the race at Hockenheimring but F1 says unsuitable, so now the offer is to have the Grosse Preis Deutschland at the Red Bull Ring circuit in Spielberg, Styria, Austria...it was said, "...why not, they speak German.."

Just how much is the Race Fee?

I was wondering, so I looked this up, from a article written in 2013…

“With annual running costs that are far lower than those for a street race, the total cost of building a Grand Prix circuit and hosting an F1 race over a ten-year period comes in at around £560m. But promoters need to dig deep to fund that initial track construction. Turn the page to find out just how much the key elements of a brand new Grand Prix circuit are likely to cost...”

Motor on!

Last edited by JABowders; 01-22-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:00 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JABowders
How about Nurburgring balking at paying the race fee, there was a recommendation to have the race at Hockenheimring but F1 says unsuitable, so now the offer is to have the Grosse Preis Deutschland at the Red Bull Ring circuit in Spielberg, Styria, Austria...it was said, "...why not, they speak German.."

Just how much is the Race Fee?

I was wondering, so I looked this up, from a article written in 2013…

“With annual running costs that are far lower than those for a street race, the total cost of building a Grand Prix circuit and hosting an F1 race over a ten-year period comes in at around £560m. But promoters need to dig deep to fund that initial track construction. Turn the page to find out just how much the key elements of a brand new Grand Prix circuit are likely to cost...”

Motor on!
I don't know what's worse. What's going on in american football right now or what's happened to Formula 1 as of recent.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:03 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first 2015 car has been revealed! Force India... Note that 2 of Sauber's sponsors are on the FI car, NEC and Telemex. Does this show us that Sauber is in trouble?

Now Williams technically showed their's first, but it's a digital rendering and not the actual car...
http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/01/...agazine-cover/

I'm a little disappointed that the odd noses are still somewhat present even as the FIA tried to prevent that.
Actually the only thing new here is the livery as the 2015 car has yet to appear. The revised colour scheme, which was unveiled by Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg at a special launch in Mexico City on Wednesday, was presented on an old car following the team's decision to delay the introduction of the new VJM08 until the second pre-season test of the year.

So perhaps the nose will be better looking? We will see...

Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 AM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sabre
Actually the only thing new here is the livery as the 2015 car has yet to appear. The revised colour scheme, which was unveiled by Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg at a special launch in Mexico City on Wednesday, was presented on an old car following the team's decision to delay the introduction of the new VJM08 until the second pre-season test of the year.

So perhaps the nose will be better looking? We will see...
Oh OK, I thought that nose was different from last years, so I thought it was the new car. However the new Williams still has the odd nose...

FW37

FW36

Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daviday
Someone had to do it. The formula lives on...
You're up daviday... It's your stint behind the wheel!

Here's to a great 2015 F1 season!

Old 01-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Oh OK, I thought that nose was different from last years, so I thought it was the new car. However the new Williams still has the odd nose...

FW37

FW36
I prefer the nose of the 2014 FW36 to that of the new 2015 FW37 but hey it's all about aero these days.

Still I have to say that the Williams is the sharpest looking car on the grid!

I love it's elegant looks and that wonderful Martini livery is both racy and oh so sophisticated!

Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
On the homefront here is some news...

Dallara starts work on 2016 Haas car

Jan.23 (GMM) F1 newcomer Haas has begun to work on its first car for 2016, Omnicorse reports.

While the team will be based alongside the NASCAR arm in North Carolina, with a second HQ probably at the Marussia facility in Banbury, the Italian publication said the 2016 Haas car will be developed in Varano de Melegari.

That is where the Italian chassis maker Dallara is based, and Omnicorse says Haas has commissioned work on the testing of a wind tunnel model.

The journey has begun in earnest it would seem... Let's see how well Haas does on bringing an "American" F1 team to the grid in 2016.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM
two250
4th Gear
I prefer the nose of the 2014 FW36 to that of the new 2015 FW37 but hey it's all about aero these days.

Still I have to say that the Williams is the sharpest looking car on the grid!

I love it's elegant looks and that wonderful Martini livery is both racy and oh so sophisticated!
I thought the RB10 had the best looking body, while the FW36 had the best looking livery...

Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
As we all know, this is the time of the year when the teams unveil to the world their contender for the upcoming F1 season.

With that in mind, here is a link to who's doing what, when...

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...5/1/16773.html

Old 01-25-2015, 05:42 PM
daviday
3rd Gear
I've been following the Scuderia release. For some reason, I'm hoping I'm not the only one - I just don't get it. They have this hash tag campaign. Jeez I'm so behind the curve.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:04 AM
two250
4th Gear
Lotus E23 is out:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/01/...he-e23-hybrid/

Originally Posted by daviday
I've been following the Scuderia release. For some reason, I'm hoping I'm not the only one - I just don't get it. They have this hash tag campaign. Jeez I'm so behind the curve.
Trying to bring in the younger crowd. Every sport is doing something like this.

Last edited by two250; 01-26-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 AM
two250
4th Gear
McLaren Honda now launched:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/01/...owered-mp4-30/

I have read that this might not be the livery they run with though, that McLaren has a "surprise announcement" after the Jerez test.

Last edited by two250; 01-30-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
The new Ferrari SF15-T has been unveiled to the public!

http://www.ferrari.com/en_us/

Old 01-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
...I have read that this might not be the livery they run with though, that McLaren has a "surprise announcement" after the Jerez test.
Such a great looking chassis!

Not crazy about the chrome/silver livery that McLaren has had in recent times and now with the Force India chassis sporting a similar look and the Mercedes F1 cars in their traditional silver there just is too much argent for the eye to take in!

I personally would love to see the McLaren cars in their original orange livery... that would be cool!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 AM
two250
4th Gear
Sauber C34
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...5/1/16785.html

Such a great looking chassis!

Not crazy about the chrome/silver livery that McLaren has had in recent times and now with the Force India chassis sporting a similar look and the Mercedes F1 cars in their traditional silver there just is too much argent for the eye to take in!

I personally would love to see the McLaren cars in their original orange livery... that would be cool!
That or Senna/Prost era white and red. MP4-4 throwback would be awesome!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:10 AM
two250
4th Gear
Red Bull RB11, which I think is awesome! I really hope they keep it as they are calling it a "test livery"...

Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 AM
two250
4th Gear
Vettel on top for the first and second test days.

Day 1:
1. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1m 22.620s, 60 laps
2. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, 1m 22.777s, 73 laps
3. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 23.106s, 157 laps
4. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1m 23.338s, 35 laps
5. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1m 23.906s, 73 laps
6. Carlos Sainz Jr, Toro Rosso, 1m 25.327s, 46 laps
7. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 1m 40.738s, 6 laps

Day 2:
1. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1m 20.984s, 88 laps
2. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, 1m 21.867s, 89 laps
3. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1m 22.319s, 61 laps
4. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 22.490s, 91 laps
5. Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso, 1m 24.167s, 73 laps
6. Pastor Maldonado, Lotus, 1m 25.802s, 41 laps
7. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1m 54.655s, 6 laps
8. Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, No time, 18 laps

Old 02-04-2015, 08:29 AM
two250
4th Gear
Ferrari powered cars are looking good. Wonder if Red Bull and Mercedes are holing back...

Day 3:
1. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, 1m 21.545s, 109 laps
2. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1m 21.750s, 94 laps
3. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 21.982s, 151 laps
4. Felipe Massa, Williams, 1m 22.276s, 71 laps
5. Pastor Maldonado, Lotus, 1m 22.713s, 96 laps
6. Carlos Sainz Jr, Toro Rosso, 1m 23.187s, 137 laps
7. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1m 23.901s, 49 laps
8. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 1m 35.553s, 32 laps

Day 4:
1. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1m 20.841s, 106 laps
2. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, 1m 22.019s, 112 laps
3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 22.172s, 117 laps
4. Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso, 1m 22.553s, 97 laps
5. Felipe Massa, Williams, 1m 23.116s, 73 laps
6. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1m 23.802s, 53 laps
7. Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, 1m 23.975s, 64 laps
8. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1m 27.660s, 35 laps

On an unrelated note, am I the only one looking at this thread anymore? It's been dead in here

Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Just waiting for the season to start. It is like pre-season football, not terribly important.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 AM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Just waiting for the season to start. It is like pre-season football, not terribly important.
I still find it interesting. For example Sauber is a full 8.5 seconds faster around Jerez with the C34 than they were last year with the C33! Gives me some hope that someone can hopefully run with Mercedes. Although Mercedes is in the exact same place last year, around 3/4th in the testing so they may be holding back. They are still 2 seconds faster than their times last year too...

Last edited by two250; 02-04-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:42 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Even though I did enjoy the Hamilton/Rosberg rivalry last year, I do hope that it is more than a two horse race this year.

The new cars are interesting. Contrary to what others think (including you I believe) the Red Bull camo livery is horrifying.

Quick Reply: 2015 Formula One Discussion