General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

Long time reader, currently searching for his MCS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Skyllz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long time reader, currently searching for his MCS.

Hi!

I've been reading and searching a few Mini forums in the last month, looking at picking up a MCS within the next month or so once I find one that I like, not easy finding a clean one around here with our winters.

I have a few questions coming from my numerous thread i've read and want to make sure of what I am looking for. Below is why I am asking them here in the racing forum.

I was told the 05-06 are the good years for a week-end warrior/Solo2/HPDE for the following reasons...
-New Getrag transmission
-Possibility of LSD, need to check VIN with dealer for that. Not a deal braker but would be nice.
-Better supercharger unit, same as the JCW
-Better suspension in stock form
-"MCS blurble" sound, purely for the giggle factor.
-1st Gen of New Mini feels better overall, lighter also. I have not tried an 07+ yet, only a friends 05.

All true? Anything else I should know about them specifically?

Any reasons not to get an 05-06 VS 03-04? they are significantly cheaper around here.

Short plans calls for 15% pulley, exhaust, intake, brake pads and good tires for Solo2 and HPDE type events. Later on, we'll see, suspension, better brakes and maybe a Sprintex if I really like the MCS platform and want to push it more.

I've done a number of those with my previous cars(Modified Civic and Turbo Miatas) and I'm looking for something different this time with less wrenching and more driving.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts
You're on the right track..What you've heard is true. The '05-'06 MCS are way better cars. Try to find one with the "sport package" and w/o a sunroof. They add 80 lb. to the top and raise your CG. Yes, some came w/ltd.slp and chrono gauge packages. If you can find a JCW, the brakes are beefier and the SC pulley is slightly smaller w/a better tune but a regular MCS can easily be brought up to JCW performance. Buy the best and lowest mileage car you can find and afford. PM me if I can be of assistance.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
I would say definately try to find one with LSD. I ran an '07 without it and was always spinning the inside tire. It was hard to control and much slower than a friend with LSD. The factory LSD may not be the best, but it is much better than not having it.

As for brakes, the 1st Gen JCW uses the same brakes as the stock Gen II S. You can find them used, so that is an option. But these require 16" wheels instead of the 15" that a lot of people like. The stock brakes on a Gen I are good, just need the right pads.

The Sport package would be great. The stiffer springs and shocks and larger front and rear sway bars are a big plus. Have the package on my '12 and really looking forward to trying it out. On the street it rotates much better (more predictable maybe a better discription) than the '07 with a 20mm RSB, front camber plates and otherwise stock suspension (the front dove too much). Expect to see the same in Solo.

As for turbo (Gen II S) vs SC (Gen I S, but with pulley, etc)...I would probably go with the Gen I for long term reliability (although I never had any issues with my '07). Power is good on both. SC sounds better

With the pulley, you will be in the modified class, so you might as well look at front camber plates (inexpensive and great improvement), RSB (another inexpensive change and would be really good with the Sports Suspension option) and intercooler.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 02-20-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Xenon lights sometimes go bad and are expensive to replace/repair

Rust in the door sills under the rubber seals is a problem- check for this
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-05-minis.html

Suspension upgrades-
Springs and shocks or full adjustable coilovers would be worth the effort
Adjustable Ireland Engineering front camber plates not a bad choice- some camber plates don't last and wear out- difficult to replace bushings and very expensive- more front camber always good for performance driving as the MINI tends to understeer badly
Adjustable rear swaybar three holes good- 19mm or 22mm possible, leave the front bar alone

Key is which wheels and tires
Light weight helps a ton- stock wheels are too heavy except for stock 15" holley wheels but they are only 5.5" wide, they do fit 205/50-15 tires but won't fit over larger brake calipers- they do fit over stock MCS calipers in the early years. Next best is 16" stock X-lyte wheels. Otherwise don't get wheels any larger than 17" due to weight. Any wheel 9 to 13 lbs each would be decent.

Short shift kit would be nice. If you can't get a factory LSD- would be rare to find then add a Quaife LSD and keep the stock clutch and flywheel so that you are friendly for street driving. Light flywheel and racing clutch not as good for daily driving not to mention cost.

Exhaust gives some weight reduction but offers little in power. Intake much the same, nicer sound. Larger throttlebody not worth it. Header with no cat would be OK but don't spend too much or cut out the stock cat if you like and go straightpipe.

ECU tuning is helpful once you settle on upgrades- do tuning last. You can use Jan B. from Revolution Motorwerks or do Mynes tuning see Waymotorworks (way is a good source for upgrade parts).

Solo 2 is not called just Solo. Don't go too nuts on the upgrades but do choose wisely for tires and wheels. Brakes not much to upgrade except for pads and good fresh brake fluid- ATE superblue not bad. Big brake kit is for looks and fancy calipers the same.

Do check out the various driving schools. The one I recommend is EVO driving school with events all over the country. Worth the effort and the instructors are first rate. About $225 per day, many classes to choose from.