Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

jcw de-chromed and plasti dip'ed

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 PM
dethbrd
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice ride

Old 11-20-2015, 05:34 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by malibujoey; 11-25-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:29 AM
slumpey
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely going to try it. Going to grab 2 cans for now and the same spray grip from Home Depot seen in your pics.

Last edited by slumpey; 11-23-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:01 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since i started this thread, it's been about 5,000 miles after all my plastidip work. well...NOT one single problem and all areas i've done in matte black are perfectly fine. temps have fluctuated now it's winter from 30's to 60's and heading back to 30's next week. not one problem! even after washes after washes etc. this **** works just fine on all the trimming if anyone has any doubt.

i had a couple of small rock chips on the front grill trim but was to be expected. all i had to do was use a q-tip and touch up those spots and voila!

Old 12-26-2015, 12:31 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Thanks ****. Appreciate your feedback on these threads.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:25 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by malibujoey
Thanks ****. Appreciate your feedback on these threads.
You sent me a PM ask ng about tire recommendations, but you have PM turned off so can't reply.

I suggest Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflat tires for the street if you want excellent grip and long tread life. It's one of the best tires. Just get a Dynaplug tire repair kit for nails and throw in the trunk. I've had to use it once already.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by minimofo
You sent me a PM ask ng about tire recommendations, but you have PM turned off so can't reply.

I suggest Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflat tires for the street if you want excellent grip and long tread life. It's one of the best tires. Just get a Dynaplug tire repair kit for nails and throw in the trunk. I've had to use it once already.
I guess those run-flat tires he was so adamant about a few months back aren't working out. Can't say I'm surprised.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
I guess those run-flat tires he was so adamant about a few months back aren't working out. Can't say I'm surprised.
Which ones were those?

Yep, runflats suck!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:18 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
He'd changed from Continental DWs (I think) and complained about supposed lack of initial turn-in grip and response, and no matter how much I tried explaining the differences and why things were feeling that way, he swapped those practically brand new tires for some Bridgestone Potenza 960 run-flats.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:06 PM
R56CPRS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minimofo
Very easy...just use a microfiber towel.
Excellent thread minimofo - Thanks!

I really like what you did to the Audi circles and Porsche letters. Can you elaborate on how you removed the overspray between and inside the letters?

Many thanks!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R56CPRS
Excellent thread minimofo - Thanks!

I really like what you did to the Audi circles and Porsche letters. Can you elaborate on how you removed the overspray between and inside the letters?

Many thanks!
It's easy. I simply used a toothpick which is hard enough but not too sharp to scratch the paint. I lightly picked at an edge until there's enough to grab with two fingers or the toothpick itself then peel off what's not needed on the inside of the letters.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Ostros
1st Gear
Impressive! Thanks for starting this thread, minimofo!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:06 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yea, great DIY.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-25-2016, 03:00 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Bridgestone Portenza 960s RF

work great.

Last edited by malibujoey; 01-26-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by malibujoey
Hey ****

I turned on the PM for you. Appreciate your threads. Sorry didn't get back to you.

Had some tools cyber stalking me on this thread another one. Of course. Texas. hahaha. Where else you find them - p*ssies with big mouths? Everyone's a big shot behind an avatar. Especially when they're lonely with nothing to do but troll a Mini Cooper fan forum.

Guess that's why they make keyboard cleaner.

Yeah the Bridgestone Portenza 960s run great. I run them every morning at track speed and corning. And they are runflats. Sorry to disagree. But I checked out the Super Sport too. The Continental DW sucked. I think one guy here's a tire dealer. But he can GFY. I'm done with the topic. So you trolls just whack at it. hahaha

Thanks for your input ****. I added you to the contact list so you should be able to PM me in the future.
If you're referring to me, I'm far from a tire dealer, just have knowledge gained across several different makes of tires and brands of cars. And I 100% resent your comment about being a big shot behind the keyboard and being from Texas, as you are by far the worst offender of acting like your stuff doesn't stink. But I guess that's what I get for trying to help a fellow MINI owner be informed.

Sorry to hijack your thread ****. I'd have sent that via PM, however he has it disabled. As for the MINI, love the upgrades and the fact you enjoy it how the factory intended it to be driven. Imagine the MINI is very happy to be in the garage instead of out in the crummy weather lol.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Sorry to hijack your thread ****. I'd have sent that via PM, however he has it disabled. As for the MINI, love the upgrades and the fact you enjoy it how the factory intended it to be driven. Imagine the MINI is very happy to be in the garage instead of out in the crummy weather lol.
No worry. My JCW has the stock mesh wheels and Blizzak run flats for winter back on. We haven't had much snow this season in Columbus, couple inches and all melted. Yep, it's my daily driver and weekend autocrosser fun car and loving it.

Yeah runflats suck! For winter snow tires I had to go to RFs because I don't want to be stuck in middle of the road trying to plug a hole. Better safe than sorry. For spring and summer I'm back to my NME wheels and Michelin PSS non-runflats to get the best handling in the dry. Will order a 3rd set of wheels in 17" with Dunlop DZII sticky non-runflats for dedicated auto crossing and track days. No one auto crosses with runflats...that's just silly ;-)

Car is running like a champ and all my mods are great! Not a single problem at all whatsoever so I'm very happy. Only thing is mild clunking over bumps with the rear ST XTA coilovers but to be expected with aftermarket coilovers really...metal in metal does that.

Now it's into winter season and many washes later, not single problem with the plasti-dip anywhere! Proven highly durable so dispels any naysayer ;-)

Just picked up a brand new white 2016 Porsche Macan S with rich red leather, red stitching and optional red gauge faces. I'm going to plasti-dip the chrome rear emblems soon in my heated garage ;-)

Had the Macan S fully covered with Xpel Ultimate clear film like all my cars and front windows tinted. Such a blast to drive and so sporty! Fast as hell for an midsize SUV. Don't mess with Macan S or Macan Turbo on the freeway. They'll spank you good in your Minis since they both have twin turbos ;-) I already smoked a couple of JCWs in my Macan S and a Subaru STi up to 125 mph.

Last edited by minimofo; 01-26-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
I'm a diehard Porsche fan, and one of the few who originally adopted the Cayenne when it first came out. The new Macan is something otherworldly, and you bet your wallet that if I had the means, it'd be the first SUV I buy, especially in Turbo trim lol or the new GTS trim. I keep seeing Cayenne GTS's coming up for sale and wishing I could get one, especially in the red they came in.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Nice collection now. You do like the red, and I do also. The red seats and red face gauges are really cool.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-27-2016, 10:06 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
I'm a diehard Porsche fan, and one of the few who originally adopted the Cayenne when it first came out. The new Macan is something otherworldly, and you bet your wallet that if I had the means, it'd be the first SUV I buy, especially in Turbo trim lol or the new GTS trim. I keep seeing Cayenne GTS's coming up for sale and wishing I could get one, especially in the red they came in.
Cool! As for the Macan GTS, it's not worth it IMHO because mostly packaging of options and only 20hp more. You can package more options into the S and get same price as GTS less the 20hp. I'd rather do S or Turbo since the gap is 60hp (S 340hp, GTS 360hp, and Turbo 400hp)...if you can justify the $25k difference in price.

I think a well packaged S is a "bargain" and save the $ for a say 991.2 911 CS or C4S. I'm adding the new C4S later this summer to the stable ;-)

Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Nice collection now. You do like the red, and I do also. The red seats and red face gauges are really cool.
Yeah it's not a bright in your face red but a rich red I call it or Porsche calls it garnet red. It's not a wine red which is available in the 911's that I also love. I have the optional white gauge faces in the Cayman S but the red faces are way cooler ;-)

Old 01-28-2016, 07:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
yea, I like those also with the anti-glare lens also seen on some Bentley and RR cars

Old 01-29-2016, 06:32 AM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
yea, I like those also with the anti-glare lens also seen on some Bentley and RR cars
the red gauge faces are matte so are anti-glare.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, i can see the antiglare , blue purple coating in the reflection. Much like a quartz sapphire crystal watch face.

Rolls Royce

Old 02-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Minitauro
4th Gear
How is your Macan S vs your NM-Eng ECU-tuned JCW?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:54 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minitauro
How is your Macan S vs your NM-Eng ECU-tuned JCW?
Macan S smokes my tuned JCW

Quick Reply: jcw de-chromed and plasti dip'ed