Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

2013 JCW Exhaust Tone - Pops/Gurgles

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toyopet
I test drove a 2013 JCW hardtop and the exhaust was very quiet. There were no pops or burbles on deceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear. The sport button was pressed. It seems like the resonators are doing their job.
There is only one resonator and it is not very big, as you can see below.

I decided to go ahead and have mine removed on my 2013. There is some improvement in the pops and burbles and I like it better. Not a huge improvement, but perhaps that will change as I get more miles on it - I am almost at 2000 and maybe its my imagination but it seems like they are getting more pronounced and frequent. Others have said that over time the sound gets even better.

Definately better than stock for me. I don't have any drone and it is slightly louder, but not overbearing at all in my opinion. In fact I am hoping it continues to gain more P&B!!!

Name:  UniversalStudios009_zps288b15e1.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  97.8 KB

Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Damn, they really reduced the size of the resonator compared to my 2010. Mine was 26 inches. I also had it removed and the sound was phenomenal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using NAMotoring

Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 AM
FIRESTARTER
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jake C6R
There is only one resonator and it is not very big, as you can see below.

I decided to go ahead and have mine removed on my 2013. There is some improvement in the pops and burbles and I like it better. Not a huge improvement, but perhaps that will change as I get more miles on it - I am almost at 2000 and maybe its my imagination but it seems like they are getting more pronounced and frequent. Others have said that over time the sound gets even better.

Definately better than stock for me. I don't have any drone and it is slightly louder, but not overbearing at all in my opinion. In fact I am hoping it continues to gain more P&B!!!

How much it cost you to remove the resonator and where did you get it done?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by FIRESTARTER
How much it cost you to remove the resonator and where did you get it done?
I had it done at J&G Automotive & Muffler in Pasadena - they did a nice job - cost was $60.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
brownisland
2nd Gear
yeah... unfortunately, I don't get much P&Bs on my 2013 JCW either...
i get some... nothing to get me really excited.
reading this thread got me thinking that I haven't really had long enough drives so far to get my exhaust really hot... maybe thats why.
I did take it to get my reso delete but the dude said it wouldn't make much of a difference its a straight reso anyway and its a waste of money.

But i'm willing to give it a try... since i love my JCW sound but its just not loud enough.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
jet127
1st Gear
It's quite odd that some of the JCWs have less or no Pops and Burbles. Mine was popping and burbling since i hit 1,000 km. Mine is a 2013 Coupe JCW N18.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM
brownisland
2nd Gear
i'm in a humid area... and i only had it for the past three months so... its been cold most of the times... i really don't know what causes more p&bs

Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
i recall there was a thread about the resonator delete and people commenting on how it felt as if they lost some top end. once guy even installed it back and he immediately noticed it changed his "top end"

Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It def isn't a waste to have the resonator removed. I've had mine off for 2 years now and I would never go back to the original set up. I barely have a commute, 2.5 miles each way, and I can get the P&B's if the car has warmed up before I leave the house, so I don't think a long commute has anything to do with it. I tend to hear more aggressive P&B's when I take my foot off the gas slower, instead of quick shifting and quick release. Granted, I'm 2010, but if other 2013 JCW's hear the P&B then I feel like everyone should be hearing it.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
I had mine put back on. While I LOVED the sound, it bothered me losing some my acceleration. You noticed it on off the line and also when climbing after 75 MPH. I may explore getting an exhaust after I get a FMIC and DP.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brownisland
yeah... unfortunately, I don't get much P&Bs on my 2013 JCW either...
i get some... nothing to get me really excited.
reading this thread got me thinking that I haven't really had long enough drives so far to get my exhaust really hot... maybe thats why.
I did take it to get my reso delete but the dude said it wouldn't make much of a difference its a straight reso anyway and its a waste of money.

But i'm willing to give it a try... since i love my JCW sound but its just not loud enough.
Save your $ and keep the resonator. When your JCW is out of warranty, get a tune and you will hear a better exhaust sound.

Or you can put a water hose in the exhaust every time you wash your car. The packing will wear out faster thus creating a louder exhaust.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep the resonator. Plenty of pops and gurgles without it'

Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
I think for $60 bucks or so if you want to give it a try go for it. I am happy I did it. If you don't like it you can always but it back to stock for another $60 or so. Pretty cheap experiment if you are unhappy with the sound as is IMO.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Laardilla21
4th Gear
As I have said before, removing the resonator is an awesome and cheap mod. I have yet to find an aftermarket exhaust for the MINI that does not drone. All the manufacturers claim drone free, but put about 3k miles on it and it will drone like crazy.

Brownisland, it will get better with time. The P&B will increase significantly with more miles.

Our resonators are "straight through", BUT they create turbulence with all the little holes on the inside. I have done this to both of the MINIs I have owned and it has been the best exhaust sound yet.

As for the top end loss, this is a tiny bit true. I fixed it by installing a simple K&N panel filter. The stock filter is SUPER restrictive (Take it out and try and blow air through it.... It is hard...). I regained all my top end back. Exhaust and intake mods work hand and hand with one another. I do not recommend a cold air intake. They are not effective in our cars due to the location of the air box. I have ran air intake numbers on both my DDM CAI and with the stock box with a K&N panel filter. The stock setup ran lower temps under load AND had much faster rebound after driving hard.

Also, there are no plug and play tunes for the N18 cars yet. I am not removing my ECU and shipping it off to a tuner for a 40hp gain and $1200+ (AKA, a bench tune). Not worth it.

Ok, rant over....

Old 12-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 fJCW has a 2nd cat also. I got the resonator and 2nd cat removed. Zero drone but pops and gurgles like no other! Definitely turns heads in my town.

Removing 2nd cat shouldn't have any effect on performance right? If anything, improve?

Anyone else running with the 2nd cat and res removed? How do you like it?

Sent from cellular device.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 AM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ovrclck
2013 fJCW has a 2nd cat also. I got the resonator and 2nd cat removed. Zero drone but pops and gurgles like no other! Definitely turns heads in my town. Removing 2nd cat shouldn't have any effect on performance right? If anything, improve? Anyone else running with the 2nd cat and res removed? How do you like it? Sent from cellular device.
I'd also like to know! Video please if anyone is.

I've removed the res, but never considered 2nd cat.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LILYisatig3r

I'd also like to know! Video please if anyone is.

I've removed the res, but never considered 2nd cat.

I'll try to make a video this weekend if time permits.

With your res deleted, do you get an insane amount of PnG's?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
I'll try to make a video this weekend if time permits. With your res deleted, do you get an insane amount of PnG's? Sent from cellular device.
I wouldn't say insane unfortunately. And it's really only between 3-4 rpms. Otherwise my car sounds basically normal :/

Old 12-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear

I wouldn't say insane unfortunately. And it's really only between 3-4 rpms. Otherwise my car sounds basically normal :/
How many miles do you have on your fJCW? I just got my jcw a few weeks ago with a lil under 15k miles. Even with the stock exhaust, just letting off the accelerator above 2k rpm, it would still pop, just muffled.

I would bet that removing your 2nd cat, it would greatly increase the smiles for sure. You can always put it back if it's too loud.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:36 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
How many miles do you have on your fJCW? I just got my jcw a few weeks ago with a lil under 15k miles. Even with the stock exhaust, just letting off the accelerator above 2k rpm, it would still pop, just muffled. I would bet that removing your 2nd cat, it would greatly increase the smiles for sure. You can always put it back if it's too loud. Sent from cellular device.
Im at about 38,2 mileage. Very good point on just putting it back if I don't like it. Can I just have a muffler shop do it like the res delete?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Ovrclck
4th Gear

Im at about 38,2 mileage. Very good point on just putting it back if I don't like it. Can I just have a muffler shop do it like the res delete?
Yep! Same way. Some shops may not touch it though. It's best to just drive up with cash.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Yep! Same way. Some shops may not touch it though. It's best to just drive up with cash. Sent from cellular device.
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. If/when I do it, I'll try to post a video

Old 12-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. If/when I do it, I'll try to post a video
You have a 2011 fJCW? You should have the N14 engine. N18 wasn't available until 2013 on the fJCW. Yours should only have 1 cat which resides in the downpipe.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:26 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
I'd also like to know! Video please if anyone is. I've removed the res, but never considered 2nd cat.
i've no resonator, and the first cat is removed. also an alta intake and borla catback

https://vimeo.com/114099449

https://vimeo.com/114099468

Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by VanessaVELEZ
i've no resonator, and the first cat is removed. also an alta intake and borla catback

https://vimeo.com/114099449

https://vimeo.com/114099468
Links are dead..

Quick Reply: 2013 JCW Exhaust Tone - Pops/Gurgles