Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

emissions questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 PM
geco
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emissions questions

Bought my 2009 fJCW last month here in Utah. Low miles, fair price, awsome car. Looking at the CarFax report, it's nice to know it's just a one owner car (well, 2 owner now, I guess). Has a good history but it's a California car. My question is, do California MINI's have more exhast hardware since emission standards there are a bit more strict? Can I remove or disconnect anything that may be impairing it's performance in any way? Emission standards here in Utah are a lot more lax than in California.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
Most cars sold in the US now have CA standards no matter where they end up. Car companies do not want to make more versions of a car than they have to.

I am sure there are things you could lob off, but I bet nothing is really different between yours and mine (here in VA).

Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 AM
geco
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bubble and Squeak
Most cars sold in the US now have CA standards no matter where they end up. Car companies do not want to make more versions of a car than they have to.

I am sure there are things you could lob off, but I bet nothing is really different between yours and mine (here in VA).
Makes sense. Is the program in the ECU different on California cars? If so, can my dealership "un-program" it?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubble and Squeak

It is the same car....no matter where it is sold in the us. Hense the 50 state emissions.
No changes from the oem. YOU can get a custom tune, or do anything you want.
some DI (direct injected) gen2 mini's can have a carbon build up isdue result in performance loss....but as far as the way tgey came from the factory, they are the same, delivered to ANY state. Has been from most manfactures for a few years. Not like the old days of an extra cat, etc for ca cars....