Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Short Shift Adaptor or Adjustable Short Shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Short Shift Adaptor or Adjustable Short Shift kit?

I've been looking online but I am still unclear. I was on Outmotoring and came across a Helix and NM Engineering shoft shift adaptor and a Craven Speed Short Shift kit....I believe I figured out the difference, but I am still learning. Hopefully some of you can share your experiences and explain the difference between a short shift adaptor and a short shift kit. Also, how difficult is installation for either one? Overall what would you guys/girls recommend?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Emann
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The short shift kit will require you to replace your stock shifter stalk. Short shift adapters do not require you to replace the stock shifter. They're exactly what they sound like. It's a piece that you attach to your stock shifter that alters/shortens the throws by changing the angle of the shift points basically.

I've seen adapters shorten throws anywhere from 20%-40%, and short shift kits anywhere from 20%-70%. I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Install shouldn't be too hard for either one. I've actually been looking into the NM adapter as well, and it seems you need to attach it to the shift assembly from underneath the car. The only issue I see is the plate underneath needing some sort of modification for the adapter to fit. As for the short shift kit, I'm guessing it would be done from inside the car because you would just be replacing the shifter.

As for a recommendation for either one, I would probably try to drive a car that has these installed. I know people that don't like how short shifters feel. It can be really notchy, and you pretty much feel everything going through the gates. It's probably more personal preference. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Craven Speed SSK with the well cover. One of the best mods on my car. Why? Its a manual. I am always shifting. It takes the stock mushy feel and makes the shifting tight and notchy. It does not make it any harder to shift. No extra force is needed.

This SSK is adjustable. It comes with a little wrench to loosen the collar to raise or lower the shifter.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Nice!, thank for the info guys. Also, thanks for the pic onefish2....I'll need to do more research, I don't mind the stock shifter, although it is kind of bulky. I don't like the mushy feeling when shifting, I'd probably prefer the tight and notchy feel....
Real quick....onefish2....how long did it take you to do installation?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
I had my mechanic do it. He charged me 2 hours of labor. Quite a few people on NAM have done the install themselves.

There are other SSK threads. Do a search and see what the comments are.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
I had my mechanic do it. He charged me 2 hours of labor. Quite a few people on NAM have done the install themselves.

There are other SSK threads. Do a search and see what the comments are.

Sounds good, will do. Thanks again

Old 04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
spinned
4th Gear
onefish2 how do you like the adjust-ability of the craven SS? Do you ever adjust it and what setting have you settled on? I imagine you drive more on the aggressive side of performance driving anyway. And where did you find the Works shift ****? Did you try out the Whalen ****? I hear the Whalen is top rated, but I like the pizazz of the matching works pistol grip ****.

Last edited by spinned; 04-28-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spinned
onefish2 how do you like the adjust-ability of the craven SS? Do you ever adjust it and what setting have you settled on? I imagine you drive more on the aggressive side of performance driving anyway. And where did you find the Works shift ****. Did you try out the Whalen ****? I hear the Whalen is top rated, but I like the pizazz of the matching works pistol grip ****.
Its nice to know that you can adjust it when you want but I like it at the lowest setting. That is where my mechanic had it when I picked it up. I drove home and then decided to lower it. Much to my surprise it was already all the way down at its lowest setting and I liked that setting so I kept it there and have not messed with it since.

The JCW CF shift **** was purchased at my local dealer with a nice discount. The bottom part had to be chopped off for it to work on the Craven Speed SSK. So my mechanic called up Kellen at Craven Speed to talk with him about it and they decided to cut the plastic off the bottom.

Never tried a Whalen ****. I have driven another JCW with the Craven Speed SSK but with the M7 CF shifter. It was nice but I prefer the one I have.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
BradM
1st Gear
I like the Short Shift Kit that I had installed by Mini-Madness. I shortens the throws by 20% takes 15 minutes to install and you don't have to remove the shift boot. I have the factory shift boot and **** and it looks stock and the shifting is precise.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 PM
spinned
4th Gear
it was already all the way down at its lowest setting and I liked that setting so I kept it there and have not messed with it since.
What do you guys know of the CS "tunable" SSK. I guess you can tune it pretty short. It says on the website that once it is installed it is no longer adjustable without taking the whole thing back apart. I wonder if it is shorter than the adjustable SSK.

Last edited by spinned; 04-28-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Best bet would be to contact Kellen at Craven Speed to ask. I would still go for the adjustable one over a fixed one that had to be taken apart to change the height like on this new Craven Speed part or the Alta SSK.