Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Power Question - JCW vs S

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:53 PM
pigbat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Question - JCW vs S

I've driven an S for a day and love the car. It feels a little light on power in first gear until you get the car wound up a little. I can get an S equipped the way I want it for around 27k but keep looking at the JCW. Does the JCW have more power in first and all the way through the power band? I'm trying to decide if the extra 5k is justified for me. I will probably autox once or twice a year and the rest of the time just have a fun car to drive around. I always have a hard time walking away from more power though.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Mowse
5th Gear
No one knows

about the factory JCW (211 hp) as it doesn't hit for another month. the dealer installed JCW (192 hp) makes a big difference in performance and costs a third as much.go order the factory one

Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM
pigbat
1st Gear
I was truly showing my noob status there. I didn't realize the factory JCW wasn't in anyone's hands yet until later yesterday. It's good to know the dealer installed makes a big difference. I think we can assume the factory JCW will pack even more then.

Thanks for not beating me up too bad.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 AM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
Just be careful. there are certain things that do not come on the JCW factory car like stick shift. Also, most of the stuff is not standard. Like, the JCW Aero kit and all the JCW goodies. That will still cost you money. So, you might be paying a lot more for just that extra 20 HP, and then you still need to add on what you want.

I would spec out an S with JCW kit and all, then go spec out the JCW Factory car.

I just did both my car configuration (Cooper S 07), with JCW kit and everything, I spent 36,000.

If I got the same thing with the JCW Factory car 09, it will be 41,000. That's 5 grand more for 20 HP.

But DC1 is correct, there are other things different about the car as well.

Last edited by kevshootz; 06-20-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 AM
DC1
2nd Gear
I have one on order, on its way. I think that the factory JCW comes only in manual transmission. O/W, aero kit etc. must be ordered as well as sport suspension. There is a good write up of the differences between the S and JCW on this forum. Also, getting a S now will still be an 08 whereas the JCW is an 09. I was about to order the S with the JCW pkg earlier but decided to wait for the JCW.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 AM
pigbat
1st Gear
Thanks for the advice. I spent quite a bit of time specing out 2 different versions last night and I tend to lean toward the S after spending some time there. I like your wheels.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 AM
kevshootz
3rd Gear
I have Mini GP wheels now. Took forever to get some for my car.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:30 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
The hp difference is more like 30 hp, isn't it? I would get the JCW if I could afford it. And add the JCW suspension. I couldn't care less about any of the cosmetic options.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Yeah, what they said above.
Hey, you can mac out a MCS and still have a ton of acceleration, too.
I didn't even think about the JCW.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JCW kit has a beefed up clutch and trans as well which should be much more sturdy for a Jan Upgrade in the future!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 PM
pigbat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kevshootz
I have Mini GP wheels now. Took forever to get some for my car.

Those are even better. Were the other ones the web-spokes?

Old 06-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JDUR56
JCW kit has a beefed up clutch and trans as well which should be much more sturdy for a Jan Upgrade in the future!
My thinking exactly . I'll stick with the JCW software for the duration of my warranty but the day it expires I'll be contacting Jan for a tune. Assuming he's managed to crack the R56 ECU of course!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:13 PM
lightningjcw
1st Gear
I really doubt if most people would be able to really use all of the horsepower of the new JCW. I have an 08 JCW and barely take it to its full capacity around DC and in the Virginia hills. Just be a little careful with the ECU mods Mozza. The posts are full of bad experiences and most people would be too embarrassed to admit otherwise. They've turned their nice new cars into lemons with no remedy.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lightningjcw
I really doubt if most people would be able to really use all of the horsepower of the new JCW. I have an 08 JCW and barely take it to its full capacity around DC and in the Virginia hills. Just be a little careful with the ECU mods Mozza. The posts are full of bad experiences and most people would be too embarrassed to admit otherwise. They've turned their nice new cars into lemons with no remedy.
I agree about the ECu mods. If you even think about modifying your car, BMW will not warranty anything and the JCW kit is going to be ***** to the wall stock performance

Old 06-21-2008, 06:31 PM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lightningjcw
Ummm, why don't you take it to the track before you kill someone. Don't be a moron.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:37 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
The S is over 16 lb per HP. That rockets as is.
The JCW is money spent for...well, what for?
I talked about this with a MiniS conv JCW owner nearby.
He wouldn't do it again, since he's driven the S now.
He could have paid for a year of college with his JCW upgrade funds...or bought 12 1975 Gremlins, too.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
It's a bit unfair comparing the R53 Conv JCW with the R56 S, totally different powerplants. Check out motoringfile.com for a first review of the R56 JCW. Sounds like there won't be any need for a retune after all!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
The JCW is money spent for...well, what for?
I do apologise, I didn't realise that when putting the money that I went out and worked for down for my 09 JCW that I'd be required to justify my actions to DragonWagon. I'll just refuse to take delivery, "Yeah, hello MINI dealer, I won't be taking delivery of my car due to the fact that DragonWagon on NAM thinks the extra power over the 'S' model is useless...sorry." Thanks Dragon you just saved me $7,000 .

Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mozza
It's a bit unfair comparing the R53 Conv JCW with the R56 S, totally different powerplants. Check out motoringfile.com for a first review of the R56 JCW. Sounds like there won't be any need for a retune after all!
Mark ,the wait is almost over,I have spoken with a BMW tech at Mini corporate and you lucky few will not be dissapointed.I am glad to see you saw the reveiw in motorong file.From my conversations I think some simple breathing additions and the JCW suspension are going to make your car stupid fun.From what I have been told the power range is even smoother and stronger than the past R56's.I can't wait to hear your comments when you get the car.I played around with my dealer to get their first car but just couldn't do it.My present car is just so much fun and as you know has so much stuff already in it,I can't justify the change,but boy is your car going to special.To the non beleivers in the JCW,just drive the car...Cheers

Last edited by Mark Kurzius; 06-21-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Hey Mark yeah I really can't wait now after seeing that. Already have my 'breathing' mods planned which should make it into a real beast. I'll call you next week for a chat!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Hey Mark yeah I really can't wait now after seeing that. Already have my 'breathing' mods planned which should make it into a real beast. I'll call you next week for a chat!
Enjoy...That ECU that comes with the new engine will make you proud.. are you still doing the custom interior..take care..cheers

Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Mozza, if you're going to start fighting words, you'd better know who you're dealing with.
I only stated I'd talked to a neighbor with a JCW convertible. 7K would have paid for a year of his college. It's your money and your car.
You went jackass. Did I insult you or not use plain language?
Grow up a little or hang out on the sports blogs with the arseholes.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Fighting words? Believe me Dragon if I were to use 'fighting words' they wouldn't be open to interpretation. I was just pointing out, albeit sarcastically, that what for you is 'unnecessary power' to some is 'a whole lot of extra fun'. That's all, nothing more nothing less. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Kurzius
Enjoy...That ECU that comes with the new engine will make you proud.. are you still doing the custom interior..take care..cheers
Yep doing black glove leather on the seat, back and headrests and alcantara on the four bolsters with red stitching all around and the new JCW logo sewn into the seat backs. All shamelessly stolen from you except the red stitching, sorry! haha

Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM
diablito
5th Gear
Yep doing black glove leather on the seat, back and headrests and alcantara on the four bolsters with red stitching all around and the new JCW logo sewn into the seat backs. All shamelessly stolen from you except the red stitching, sorry! haha

Ummm sounds nice, minus the logo for me...but love to see pictures.

I have kept the standard cloth which I may turn into something like this, to match my rooster dash with the stitching...

Quick Reply: Power Question - JCW vs S