Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Power Question - JCW vs S

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out roadwire.com that's who Mark and I went through for the custom interiors.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:30 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmokeM
Ummm, why don't you take it to the track before you kill someone. Don't be a moron.

That was uncalled for. He didn't say he was being reckless, he simply said that around town, the extra power is unneccessary.

Kinda like my wife saying why buy a new Z06, the fact is has super top end is a waste since the speed limit is only 65/70 mph.

And if you can show me one person who has never punched their car on a public street, I'll call them a liar.

Anyway, back to the OP question.

Like the rest of us motorheads, I always want more. My last 4 cars were
C4 Corvette (port, polish, heads, cam, converter, gears, etc, etc)

C5 Corvette convertible (supercharged)

'92 Miata with a supercharged 306 putting out 496 RWTQ

'95 Miata with a supercharger putting out 209 RWHP

My present pig, a supercharged H2 putting out over 505 WHP.

There is no such thing as too much HP (except that damn '92 Miata...lol)

I think it depends what you want. When my buddy went to the dealership, he was told that if he ordered the JCW from the get go (dealer install I guess, not factory) it was only 2500 at that time.

2500 bucks isn't bad when you consider just an exhaust, cold air intake and tune will cost you 1600-1700 bucks. I'm assuming (yeah, I know...lol) that it comes with ground effects too but I'm not sure. Point is, if you want all that stuff, 2500 bucks is a great deal to keep a warranty.

If you're like me and just want some extra umphhh without ground effects, exhaust, etc, etc, I just bought an "S" and gonna wait until someone comes out with a dependable tune. And since I've already got the JCW brakes, an extra 25'ish HP for 500 bucks will make me a happy camper.

Mark

Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Taking a car to the upper range of it's HP on a public street (reads like he's habitual) is not reckless? Would you mind if he uses the streets near you? Where your wife drives or near where your kids play? I'm sure it will be alright.

You're wife's right unless you take it to the track.

Originally Posted by orangecrush
That was uncalled for. He didn't say he was being reckless, he simply said that around town, the extra power is unneccessary.

Kinda like my wife saying why buy a new Z06, the fact is has super top end is a waste since the speed limit is only 65/70 mph.

And if you can show me one person who has never punched their car on a public street, I'll call them a liar.

Anyway, back to the OP question.

Like the rest of us motorheads, I always want more. My last 4 cars were
C4 Corvette (port, polish, heads, cam, converter, gears, etc, etc)

C5 Corvette convertible (supercharged)

'92 Miata with a supercharged 306 putting out 496 RWTQ

'95 Miata with a supercharger putting out 209 RWHP

My present pig, a supercharged H2 putting out over 505 WHP.

There is no such thing as too much HP (except that damn '92 Miata...lol)

I think it depends what you want. When my buddy went to the dealership, he was told that if he ordered the JCW from the get go (dealer install I guess, not factory) it was only 2500 at that time.

2500 bucks isn't bad when you consider just an exhaust, cold air intake and tune will cost you 1600-1700 bucks. I'm assuming (yeah, I know...lol) that it comes with ground effects too but I'm not sure. Point is, if you want all that stuff, 2500 bucks is a great deal to keep a warranty.

If you're like me and just want some extra umphhh without ground effects, exhaust, etc, etc, I just bought an "S" and gonna wait until someone comes out with a dependable tune. And since I've already got the JCW brakes, an extra 25'ish HP for 500 bucks will make me a happy camper.

Mark

Old 06-22-2008, 05:41 AM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
You are all forgetting one thing about the "S" vs "JCW"... the "S" is waaaay underrated on HP. People are dynoing their STOCK "S" cars at 200hp. So, is the JCW really 20-30hp more? Think again.

I'd be happy to go toe to toe with a factory JCW car... and all I have is an S with intake, exhaust, springs and rear sway.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by diablito
Ummm sounds nice, minus the logo for me...but love to see pictures.

I have kept the standard cloth which I may turn into something like this, to match my rooster dash with the stitching...
Check out my gallery,I have a couple of pictures of the seats,and you may end up liking the logo...They have outlets all over the country..take care

Old 06-22-2008, 01:17 PM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
There is no such thing as too much HP
+ infinty

Horsepower is a terrible thing to waste. You can use it in any gear. Wind em up boyz!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:28 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Kevin in Chi-town,
that is a snappy blue auto!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
Taking a car to the upper range of it's HP on a public street (reads like he's habitual) is not reckless? Would you mind if he uses the streets near you? Where your wife drives or near where your kids play? I'm sure it will be alright.

You're wife's right unless you take it to the track.

Come on dude, quit being a safety ****. He said and I quote "I have an 08 JCW and barely take it to its full capacity around DC ....."

How does barely take it to it's full capacity indicate reckless. You have no idea where he does it, (could be a deserted, closed down road), when he does it (could be 1am) and exactly how much is "barely full capacity"??? (4K, 5K??? I dunno)

Point is, I don't know that he does or is reckless but more importantly, neither do you... you're just assuming.

If you've never taken your car to it's max rpm on the street, you need to buy a prius.

A mini cooper is hardly a ferocious, hard core drag car that infers reckless... My blown big block S10, tubbed with 5:13 gears going sideways down the street is reckless.

Me getting pulled over at 168mph on my sportbike is reckless... I hardly think a front wheel drive 200HP being wound up is considered reckless.

No offense but you safety ***** need to quit assuming the worst.

Mark

Old 06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
Hell, im reckless on open country roads. yup. May as well ban me if everyone here is a safety monger.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
lightningjcw
1st Gear
Thanks Orangecrush. Some people have problems reading. All I was saying is that my JCW has a lot more power than I use and I doubt whether anyone would ever fully use it except on a track. I think Mozza will enjoy his new car greatly and I hope he does. He's a tough Welshman and I wouldn't want to tangle with him.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I knew what you were saying... didn't mean to speak for you but there's one in every crowd. I had a guy screw with me on the highway while I was driving my H2 (8" of lift with supercharger) and he was upset that I was passing him doing 72 in the right lane while he was doing 63 in the left (speedlimit was 65)

It seems there's always one guy that feels it's his job to "police" everyone.... much like the USA gov't. They have to be the world's policeman and stick their noses in everyone's business.

Anyway, back to the original poster, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I agree with lightning, a JCW will be more than enough and if you even just do an "S" with a few mods, I'm sure you'll be more than happy.

Mark

Old 06-22-2008, 02:17 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3
Hell, im reckless on open country roads. yup. May as well ban me if everyone here is a safety monger.
You're from Atlanta... everyone there is reckless...

I was running 95 in a 65 with HUGE group of people... there was a cop behind me getting pissed because I was holding everyone up. They were all running 100-105 on route 20 and the cop was really getting annoyed I was driving so slow. Finally he blew around me and gave me a dirty look.

I assure you if I knew I wasn't going to get a ticket, I would have happily cranked it up.

Mark

Old 06-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lightningjcw
Thanks Orangecrush. Some people have problems reading. All I was saying is that my JCW has a lot more power than I use and I doubt whether anyone would ever fully use it except on a track. I think Mozza will enjoy his new car greatly and I hope he does. He's a tough Welshman and I wouldn't want to tangle with him.
Welshman? Take that back you brute, I'm no harasser of sheep. I'm irish and extremely proud of it.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:13 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Don't mess with Mozza.
His g'fren is prettier than yours. Probably for a reason.
She doesn't say, Baaa, either.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Mozza
5th Gear

You're quite right dragon she does not. The Vinny's and Vito's around here aren't too happy tonight dragon, Spain knocked them out of Euro 2008 today.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:37 PM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
You're from Atlanta... everyone there is reckless...

I was running 95 in a 65 with HUGE group of people... there was a cop behind me getting pissed because I was holding everyone up. They were all running 100-105 on route 20 and the cop was really getting annoyed I was driving so slow. Finally he blew around me and gave me a dirty look.

I assure you if I knew I wasn't going to get a ticket, I would have happily cranked it up.

Mark

Yup.. the speed limit is just a suggestion in most parts of Atlanta.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3
Yup.. the speed limit is just a suggestion in most parts of Atlanta.

a suggestion.... I love it.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:41 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Mozza, I followed the match today.
It wasn't pretty.
I follow Newcastle, pity me.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Newcastle? Ouch, we beat you 11-1 on aggregate last season.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 PM
popelofe
2nd Gear
man...after reading this thread..i really can't wait to get my car finally...my dealer says this thurs...im gonnna assume NEXT thursday. lol

Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 PM
pigbat
1st Gear
Thanks to everyone who tuned in. My dealer has an S with the JCW tuning kit. Right now he isn't letting anyone take it for a test drive but I think I'll pressure him since I have an order pending. That should give me a nice feel for what I get for $2500.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
There is a significant difference between the "S" and the JCW "S" ... it's all in the pedal. Same goes for the JCW suspension. The S is awesome, the S/JCW is even more so. Well worth the money if you can spare it. And if you can't, there will come a time in the future when you can.

I love my '07 S JCW but am looking forward to the new factory JCW machine, especially after it has been out for a year or so and any bugs are worked out. It's only an extra 10 or so ponies under the hood but the burble is back, the brakes are sweeeeeet, and, well, why not? Time to start refilling the penny jar

Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
10 ponies over what? The tuning kit?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mozza
10 ponies over what? The tuning kit?
That was my understanding, with my only info on the spec coming from a White Roof Radio podcast a few days ago. So I may be

Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
The official hp figures for the S w/JCW tuning kit is 189, the official hp figure for the factory car is 211 so it's over 20. As we're both only too aware both these figures are very conservative.

Quick Reply: Power Question - JCW vs S