F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Automatic tailgate closing while under it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Automatic tailgate closing while under it?

I have had my tailgate start closing while i was loading second luggage. I think it thought i did the foot signal but i didn’t do a kicking move. Anybody else who had issues like this? Als i had it open once while i ignited the follow me home lights. I am thinking if i pushed the remote button accidentally in my pocket??

What i really dislike is that if that accidentally opening happened while there whas a pole or a tree or any obstacle for that matter, the tailgate would get damaged. It should not be able to open if the parking sensors detect something if you ask me.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:27 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
There is another thread where people have discussed accidental openings and closings. There is a TSB that a MINI dealer can flash your car to hopefully fix the issue.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ate-patch.html

Old 01-05-2018, 05:16 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I had the « recall » done to my F60 and they also replaced the unit under the car as well. No problem ever since...

Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
I had the « recall » done to my F60 and they also replaced the unit under the car as well. No problem ever since...
That's good feedback. I will do this too eventually, but it means I'll have to reprogram everything. Oh well.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Yep. Haven't had that happen since doing the re-flash.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Well, i went to the dealer for some issues. One of them this. They told me nothing was wrong. They read the car for errors. No errors. Nothing from mini like an update so they didn't do anything... I told them about you guys and the update. And that was the issue of internet and bla bla. Ughh

Old 01-10-2018, 03:42 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Miniminic
Well, i went to the dealer for some issues. One of them this. They told me nothing was wrong. They read the car for errors. No errors. Nothing from mini like an update so they didn't do anything... I told them about you guys and the update. And that was the issue of internet and bla bla. Ughh
Very frustrating!! I had an appointment for first service and told them about this issue, and they applied the update, tested it, and told me they would also replace the sensor unit, which they had to order...Your dealer should be aware of this bulletin recall and apply whichever solution applies!!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:44 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by f60jcw
That's good feedback. I will do this too eventually, but it means I'll have to reprogram everything. Oh well.
The update they did also made a change on start up...When the engine is still in normal temp, if I start the car, it will rev up to 2000-2300rpm... don’t know why, but it sounds sport/ready to play 🤪

Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
The update they did also made a change on start up...When the engine is still in normal temp, if I start the car, it will rev up to 2000-2300rpm... don’t know why, but it sounds sport/ready to play 🤪
I don’t think that engine part would apply to my PHEV?Well because i complained about the battery draining so fast and not keeping it’s charge good enough they did do a software update to that part. And with that my navi system (not maps) got updated also to version TB006.006.006MB006.006.006So on that department there was an update. I hope the tailgate is secretly in it too.I will have to experience how the tailgate is doing upcoming days.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:14 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Very frustrating!! I had an appointment for first service and told them about this issue, and they applied the update, tested it, and told me they would also replace the sensor unit, which they had to order...Your dealer should be aware of this bulletin recall and apply whichever solution applies!!
You might want to provide your dealer with the TSB number for the issue... TSB # 510916.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by f60jcw
You might want to provide your dealer with the TSB number for the issue... TSB # 510916.
Is this a puma number? Can they see it worldwide because i live in the Netherlands

Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Not sure about where it comes from, but I found it in this post:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ate-patch.html

Old 01-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
They still had to change my lighting panel on my dashboard and my CM didn't drive straight, always going to the right line if i didn't hold the steering.
I really don't know what they did, but or i am getting crazy or my steering got heavier. Like it is driving on sport mode all the time. Is it possible they turned off powersteering help in city, where it gets lighter?

Also i asked them to reprogram the remote, so i can't open the tailgate in my pocket, but the didn't. Also they couldn't find the tsb... To be honest the sensitivity seemed perfect after last update where they said nothing is wrong, but my engine and idrive where updated. Every kick it opened en closed right. But now i have to kick arount 6 times to open it. I look like a moron haha. What could they have changed. I hate keeping contacting them but i have to...

Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Miniminic
...and my CM didn't drive straight, always going to the right line if i didn't hold the steering.
Another right-drifting F60 here. Bought in July, took it in a couple months ago because it would wander off to the right. Couple hundred dollar 4-wheel alignment later ("Did you hit a pothole? Geometry is really off.") and it seemed good.

As of a couple weeks ago, we're wandering to the right again.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:01 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by GnFnRnBacon
Another right-drifting F60 here. Bought in July, took it in a couple months ago because it would wander off to the right. Couple hundred dollar 4-wheel alignment later ("Did you hit a pothole? Geometry is really off.") and it seemed good.

As of a couple weeks ago, we're wandering to the right again.
wooww to bad you have to pay for it. I emailed them today with video’s i made to show them how bad it is.
They supposedly test drove it after alignment...
I don’t know how they tested it. I don’t know if they should align it not to 0 but -1 to the left or something like this because the roads aren’t straight but almost always in an angle. Right side bit to the right and left to the left. But if you drive back what was your left is know your right so almost always angled to the right...

by the way wasn’t there also a tsb about coding keyfob so yoi have to open doors before pressing tailgate? I couldn’t find it.

The tailgate sensitivity seems changed. Yesterday i had to kik 6 times or so. Now i found a way to open it at one go. Kicking really fast ). It doesn’t register slow feet movement anymore. Maybe good for registrating fake movements we make while loading the back.
I always thought the sensor is an eye under the car but it is a totally different sensor behind the bumper.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:18 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
I've not been too impressed with the steering in the CM. It seems to be kind of all over the road at highway speeds. I always attributed it to wind or soft snow tires but perhaps not. I'm also spoiled given my cars are an S4 with hydraulic steering and an S2000 with probably the best electric rack ever made.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrFunk
I've not been too impressed with the steering in the CM. It seems to be kind of all over the road at highway speeds. I always attributed it to wind or soft snow tires but perhaps not. I'm also spoiled given my cars are an S4 with hydraulic steering and an S2000 with probably the best electric rack ever made.
hmm i like it a lot. It is very mini like. Almost no body roll. How many inches are your rims? Mine are 18

Old 04-22-2018, 08:51 AM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife is so incredibly pissed off at the automatic tailgate that she is pretty much done with the MINI brand. We've taken it back in several times, spend hours and hours at the dealership, and every time we get the car back it's even worse.

I'm about to embark on a physical fix, hopefully there is a connector on the sensor bar otherwise I'm going to start cutting wires (thanks miniminic for posting the picture). Not how I wanted to spend my Sunday with a brand new car.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
I totally understand you. But don’t cut anything. You can let them code tye foot sensor out if you really don’t want it. Then you cannise the buttons on remote or car. Too bad they don’t get a real fix!

Old 04-22-2018, 09:32 AM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
They told us they couldn't code the foot sensor out and that we'd just have to live with it. The problem is we have a baby in diapers still so when my wife is trying to change her in the back of the boot the tailgate starts closing almost everytime like clockwork. Reaching up to stop the tailgate with a dirty diaper in hand (thus smearing poop all over the inside of the tailgate) was the final straw for her.

That being said... I just removed the entire sensor without any difficulty. It unbolted and unplugged quite easily. So if anyone else is having trouble with their sensor you can just physically remove it until MINI comes up with an actual fix.

I just verified that every other way to open/close the boot still works (key, button, and interior switch).

Attached Thumbnails Automatic tailgate closing while under it?-mini_sensor.jpg  
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Ours is still closing on it's own. It's a complete POS system. You're just standing behind the car with the trunk lid open and "beep beep beep" it starts closing. Look down at your feet which are 3 feet from the bumpers.... why the heck is it closing?! Seems to ONLY do it when the key is in proximity of the trunk.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:56 AM
bsolomon2008
Neutral
Had the same issue with the tailgate closing while under it, as well as opening on its own, especially when passing behind the vehicle with the fey fob in my pocket. After a couple of trips for service, patches, and reference to the TSB (which is from 2016 by the way), as well as reprogramming the key fobs, they finally told me that there was a possible issue with the SmartControl Module which controls the tailgate. They replaced the SmartControl Module and I haven't had a single problem with random opening or closing since.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:49 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Well, mine got defect past week. It wouldn't close or open. The lock was defect. They changed the lock. Worked fine for 1 day, but second day i had trouble again, but this time i could close it forced by hand. Think i will have to go back. Anyone else who has changed their smart module?

Old 09-13-2018, 07:51 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
LOL - ours still opens on it's own and comes down on you if you're anywhere near the rear of the car.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:17 PM
bsolomon2008
Neutral
I had issues with both unexplained opening, and closing while underneath the tailgate. They tried a number of tweaks including software updates, none of which made a difference. They ended up replacing the SmartControl Module, and everything has been working great ever since.

Quick Reply: F60 Automatic tailgate closing while under it?